Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

On the subject of the trash pile, I did make a killing. I ended up with the aforementioned 'battered coffee pot'.
    The TSA went through my duffle bag on the return trip, and decided to repack all the tinware right on the top where it got smashed up nicely. The coffee pot now looks like it came from Picasso Tinworks. I will carefully tap out what I can and resolder the now leaky bottom. While I was inspecting the damage I noticed 'CH' scratched into the top of the handle. Thank you to whoever this might be.
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
    Independent Volunteers
    [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Okay, that's three that I know about.

Rob Murray arrived home with broken sauce bottles all over over the inside of his luggage, with glass and contents on his clothing.

TSA has a responsibility to repack luggage properly. In years of flying to events, this is the first time I've ever had a real problem-and I certainly have it this time--every handmade bandbox crushed, one shoe missing, one linen bedsheet missing, a number of 'small items' missing--of the sort that go flying when a bandbox gets shattered. That bedsheet was one of the things padding all the other items. Paper packing materials were discarded as well(think repro Harpers Weekly)

TSA also has a procedure for filing claims for such stuff. Its gonna be a pain in the tookus to do it, because they want a heck of a lot of proof of purchase, when most of this stuff was made or traded.

Still, its REAL obvious the Buffalo airport has a problem--and on more than one shift, as y'all boys left on Sunday, and I did not go until Monday evening. I also got there 3 hours before flight time, so its not like they did not have time to repack this stuff.

I mean really, how the do you break an inch thick hardwood dough bowl?
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace View Post
        The coffee pot now looks like it came from Picasso Tinworks. I will carefully tap out what I can and resolder the now leaky bottom.
        Todd,

While you have the soldering iron out, run a thick bead around the spout, as that leaked about 1/3 of the way from the bottom. That coffee pot is about 15 years old and was made by the legendary tinsmith Butch Baker.

Not that I'd know anything about this....
        Last edited by Charles Heath; 03-16-2008, 12:06 PM. Reason: Speil Czech
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Charles-

I hate to say it, but one reason why I didn't do any heavy raiding of the trash heaps is that I thought someone might want that stuff back. Even after you told me to do so when we spoke once at your quarters, I still didn't feel it was very Christian of me- primarily because I didn't want to take anything anyone might need back.

Sounds goody-goody, but I feel trusworthiness is an important tenet of the hobby... :)

But... on second-thought...

Darn, my moral code prevented me from gaining a few bully items. ;)

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I did hang the mule collar on the cooler hut, but never came up with anything witty for a sign. "Turn them out to die like mules" came to mind. I foraged some wooden barrel hoops thanks to Charles. One of the neater moments was looking out our door at the Sibley with the eclipse of the moon directly above it, clouds scudding by. The one time i wished I had a camera.

If anyone found a pair of mismatched gray shooter finger mittens I'd like to see them again.
            Bill O'Dea
            Salt boiler mess /122nd NY

Comment

I can't even decipher my own moral code

Well, I stole stuff from the pile, then asked around if it was okay, with the intention of returning it if it wasn't. The fact that someone ran off with the harness leather that I'd cut off that tangled mass in the pile probably doesn't justify this.
              For the record I'm missing one pair of filthy white cotton mittens which I'm not sad about and that grey wool wrister, which I am, if anyone sees it.
              [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
              [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
              Independent Volunteers
              [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Bill,
                I gots yo middens! I found them in my haversack.

I had to laugh, about the trash heap. When I arrived at the cooler hut thursday night, I was surprised by the amount of junk on the walls, aka the horse collar. Also there was some general harness leather hanging about, I don't know if anyone brought it home. I would have snagged the horse collar, but as "loquacious lloyd" has said, I thought it was someone's decoration they were taking home.

Regards!
                -John Roddy
                Alexander Stowe

Son of New York

Gettysburg, PA

Comment

Matter of fact, I paused for a moment to hear any possible echo of profanity emerge from that vinegar jug, but it was silent.

I heard a distant echo belch from the interior of the BAWCBAS*, sort of a seance-style EVP -

"Son, this here's a fine spoon. The patent finish will last a week, and if you want something bigger, fetch a damned shovel."

and

"Looks like Mosby stole all the snow around here."

Not to mention

"You look like a gambling man. Drink this. The label fell off, and I want to see if it's a patent medicine or that rat poison Capt'n Zeke ordered."

The wicker handle broke on the jug, and it was almost pitched until I learned Hopkins had no more need for it. It is now a part of the BlueMass Cat and Skinny Anne's Finest Kind Traveling Medicine Show and Whorehouse.

Peace.

------------
                  *Big-Ass Wicker Covered Bottle of Anti-Scorbutic.

Comment

Noah,

I now wonder if Kiev remembered that particular vinegar jug from the Fort Donelson anti-scorbutic issue in 2006. At one time an excellent image existed on some website somewhere, and the appropriate photo caption would have been "Spew." Probably wasn't a fond memory, but I digress.

Matter of fact, I'd guess a small number of Winter 1864 2008 participants may remember that vinegar jug, the spoon, the venison, the mule feed, and the balmy weather at that Fort Donelson NPS LH. That old jug was a survivor, with the emphasis on was.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

That cherry bounce did come out real well.

Cherry Bounce (quick & dirty version)
                      Take a quart bottle and wash thoroughly.

Fill bottle about 2/3 with pitted sweet cherries. (For the last batch, I used frozen cherries, which were just fine.)

Add two tablespoons of superfine sugar, then fill the bottle with vodka or other clear spirit. Shake to distribute sugar.

Cork bottle and store in the refrigertor for a week or two (if not a month or two), shaking once a day. During this time, the cherries will start at the bottom of the bottle, then rise to the top, then sink again. If the spirit level gets low, add more booze.

Once the cherries have bounced, add as little or as much sugar as you'd like. I prefer less.
                      Robert Carter
                      69th NYSV, Co. A
                      justrobnj@gmail.com
                      www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Sort of weird he a single, four-day event in the cold can change your views about certain things, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                          Noah,

I now wonder if Kiev remembered that particular vinegar jug from the Fort Donelson anti-scorbutic issue in 2006. At one time an excellent image existed on some website somewhere, and the appropriate photo caption would have been "Spew." Probably wasn't a fond memory, but I digress.

Matter of fact, I'd guess a small number of Winter 1864 2008 participants may remember that vinegar jug, the spoon, the venison, the mule feed, and the balmy weather at that Fort Donelson NPS LH. That old jug was a survivor, with the emphasis on was.
                          Little known, but a true fact.... Kiev (aka 'Dutchy' at W64) made a Sick Call on Sat. morning, whilst holding his unbuckled trousers about his waste and complaining of bowels not too loose, yet not very tight... and he even had a sample of his stool droppings carefully preseved in his little tin bowl, which he tasted before the surgeon and noted to him that it had a strange consistency of late. Kiev repeatedly requested a small dose of vinegar to help set his stomach right. Too which Lt., Carlson (Pat Craddock) who was in attendance supervising sick call with the surgeon, had to fight to stifle a knowing grin and accompanying snicker. Fortunately for the Surgeon and his chronic patient, all Kiev was offered was an opiate derivative (two little candies of some sort).
                          Brian Hicks
                          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Was this the same jug that made an appearance at 69th NYSM @ 1BR?
                            Robert Carter
                            69th NYSV, Co. A
                            justrobnj@gmail.com
                            www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Little known, but a true fact.... Kiev (aka 'Dutchy' at W64) made a Sick Call on Sat. morning, whilst holding his unbuckled trousers about his waste and complaining of bowels not too loose, yet not very tight... and he even had a sample of his stool droppings carefully preserved in his little tin bowl, which he tasted before the surgeon and noted to him that it had a strange consistency of late. Kiev repeatedly requested a small dose of vinegar to help set his stomach right. Too which Lt., Carlson (Pat Craddock) who was in attendance supervising sick call with the surgeon, had to fight to stifle a knowing grin and accompanying snicker. Fortunately for the Surgeon and his chronic patient, all Kiev was offered was an opiate derivative (two little candies of some sort).

Because Dutchy did not realize he was going up against an allopathic surgeon who has little faith in "folk remedies". Obviously he had the squirts, and vinegar did not seem to help in the past, so why give it now, when I could give him some opium pills, known to constipate and relieve the rectal spasms that go with a case of the the squirts?

The opiate derivatives were two peppercorns.

Comment

Originally posted by NoahBriggs View Post
                                Little known, but a true fact.... Kiev (aka 'Dutchy' at W64) made a Sick Call on Sat. morning, whilst holding his unbuckled trousers about his waste and complaining of bowels not too loose, yet not very tight... and he even had a sample of his stool droppings carefully preserved in his little tin bowl, which he tasted before the surgeon and noted to him that it had a strange consistency of late. Kiev repeatedly requested a small dose of vinegar to help set his stomach right. Too which Lt., Carlson (Pat Craddock) who was in attendance supervising sick call with the surgeon, had to fight to stifle a knowing grin and accompanying snicker. Fortunately for the Surgeon and his chronic patient, all Kiev was offered was an opiate derivative (two little candies of some sort).

Because Dutchy did not realize he was going up against an allopathic surgeon who has little faith in "folk remedies". Obviously he had the squirts, and vinegar did not seem to help in the past, so why give it now, when I could give him some opium pills, known to constipate and relieve the rectal spasms that go with a case of the the squirts?

The opiate derivatives were two peppercorns.
                                They look like coco puffs!I was wishing I had got the vinegar.I hate it and throw up when I smell it or taste it.This is fact!Which is why I wanted it.I know SICK .Anyways the opium pills(pepper corns) did the trick and I was told to stay off my feet and off duty for 4 hours:wink_smilGreat !Clark and I cleaned out the halls of our humble quarters and made the best of it.

Also the plate of steaming crap was bread pudding made with coffee and milk and some other items to make it real messy!:confused_
                                Kiev Thomason
                                a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                                WIG
                                Armory Guards
                                Forest Park Lodge #399
                                Forest Park GA.

Comment

Working...
                                X