Preservation March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preservation March

Seconded...looking for at least an address.
    Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Contact me at: preservation.2008@hotmail.com or hodge@wideawakefilms.com

Figered if you have registered, you would have that info.

Jim do you have any info for the board?
      Aka
      Wm Green :D
      Illegitimi non carborundum
      (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
      Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Dear Huck,

I have sent e-mail to those addresses last week..... No response as of yet.

If you have any info please share.

XOXOXO Dave
        Dave Tucker
        Co. I, 7th WI
        Co. A, 5th VA

Comment

Gents,

I don't have anything really concrete to add to the question other than the Federal Cavalry will be meeting up in the village of Philomont for our ride to Unison and then onto Welbourne. My best guess for the infantry would be to head to Welbourne on Friday and go from there. I know there are civilians staying there over the weekend, and they are supposed to help with registration.

We in the Federal Cavalry are most definitely looking forward to this event! We've got a good size company signed up, and a bunch of cool twists and turns for the scenario to keep everyone jumpin' in an authentic way.

Take care,
          Tom Craig
          1st Maine Cavalry
          Tom Craig

Comment

Heard from Rob this morning...he's got alot going on and said he would be emailing directions to the participants by sometime tomorrow.

Everyone relax...and prepare for what should be a very cool event...and yet another event with a worthy cause.

Paul B.
            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
            (Loblolly Mess)
            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
              Heard from Rob this morning...he's got alot going on and said he would be emailing directions to the participants by sometime tomorrow.

Everyone relax...and prepare for what should be a very cool event...and yet another event with a worthy cause.

Paul B.
              Yes, just got off the horn with him.

Guys, apologies for the delay on directional info, but it will be e-mailed. Mapquest and other online driving directions can be a bit confusing around that particular area, especially when different groups will be in different places and street addresses are not exactly available.

Rob is out right now dropping firewood at bivouc spots and doing odometer readings between sites. Again, sorry to leave you guys hanging a few days before the event, but expect an e-mail soon, which I will also post here.
              Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Gents,
                I am really looking forward to this one,i am flying in from Scotland to Washington on Thursday and then arriving in Welburne on Friday afternoon .
                I have a couple of days after the March to tour Battlefields etc.

See y,all there,

J.T.
                Jason Tailford
                Temperance Mess.
                AES.

Comment

Again, sorry for the delay, fellows.

Everyone that registered should have recieved this e-mail from Rob Hodge:

All,

Thanks for registering for the preservation event. Your participation is really appreciated.

Quite a few have still not registered, but intend to come. It looks like we will have over 70 participants.

Some neat and different things are in store that a typical reenactment event cannot bring to the table. People that miss this event will miss out on some of the nicest land in America, original items from the battle of Unison, a new National Park Service report on the fight of Nov 1-3, 1862, quality impressions, good interp, and being in the footsteps of history.

The weather looks to be decent.

These are the directions to registration.

The funds you raised for the preservation of battlefields will be collected at registration.

Thanks for being patient.

Rob Hodge

From the East:

From the Washington Beltway (495) take Route 66 West to Route 50 West. Take Route 50 20 miles to the one traffic light in Middleburg. From the light, go 3.5 miles, turn right on Route 611, St. Louis Road. Go 1 mile and turn LEFT on Route 743, Welbourne Road (the heavy vegetation hides the roadsign somewhat – there is a “Welcome to St. Louis” sign on the right). Go .9 miles, and then turn right where a McCain/Palin sign is. Just after you turn in go up just a tad and turn off the driveway to the left. Registration will be right there. This is where Federal infantry, Confederate Cavalry, civilians register and park.

From the West:

From I-81 take U.S. Route 50 east from Winchester 22.1 miles (through Upperville – mind the speed limit), Turn LEFT onto WILLISVILLE RD. Go 1.6 miles. Then turn a HARD RIGHT onto WELBOURNE RD. Go 1.3 miles then turn left where the McCain/Palin sign is. Just after you turn in go up just a tad and turn off the driveway to the left. Registration will be right there. This is where Federal infantry, Confederate Cavalry, civilians register and park
                  Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Great Event...and the trip to Virginia Horse Country was pretty awesome. The oppurtunity to experience a small bit of what the men of the period did (through marching, bearing the cold nights) is always a welcome addition to any event.

Looking forward to hearing from Rob how much $$$ was raised for Preservation through this event.

Paul B.
                    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                    (Loblolly Mess)
                    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                      Great Event...and the trip to Virginia Horse Country was pretty awesome. The oppurtunity to experience a small bit of what the men of the period did (through marching, bearing the cold nights) is always a welcome addition to any event.

Looking forward to hearing from Rob how much $$$ was raised for Preservation through this event.

Paul B.
                      Well said, the country was beautiful, the weather was beautiful and it was a great time.
                      Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

What a grand time indeed! Rob did a first-rate job, (as always), and made it look easy. Was swell to see some old faces and make new friends. Should have some quality pics soon. Will advise. Thanks to everyone for letting this old timer hang out and "watch the show". Cheers!
                        John Marler
                        Franklin, TN

Comment

Pards,
                          The event was wonderful.
                          Great to meet new friends and march alongside some quality guys with great impressions.
                          I have a lot of fond memories but the best one was marching down through the valley on Saturday behind the skirmish line and fording the creek ,it was awesome and marching on the same unpaved roads on the anniversary to the exact minute is about as close as it gets.

Can,t wait for my next trip over.

Jason Tailford

Temperance Mess.
                          Edinburgh
                          Scotland.

Comment

Jason it was great meetin' ya pard! Glad you had a good time and hope you can make it back over for another event! Hope those pictures of you fording the creek turned out alright, I think all our BSing made that last 4 wet miles not to bad.
                            Brandon English

Comment

Hi Brandon,
                              Yeah the pictures turned out great pard.I will try and post them soon.
                              I should be going to the Piney woods in March,and i will really make an effort to take up Cody and Seth,s invitation to fall in with the Liberty Rifles for the Bummer,s event in Georgia next fall.
                              If it is half as good as the Hodge March then it will be great.

See you soon Pard,

Jason Tailford

(Scottish guy that no one could understand)

Temperance Mess.

Comment

Working...
                              X