Fort Negley Lh Program Nov. 8 And 9 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fort Negley Lh Program Nov. 8 And 9 2008

Well, I forgot I was committed to that civilian event at Boonesfield. For some reason I was thinking they were consecutive weekends and not on the same one. Can't deprive the folks of Senator Johnson visiting you know.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Registration List As Of 23 October

We now have 32 men registered, with commitments from two others.

If you are interested, please contact me, and/or get your registrations sent in. 31 October is the deadline, and we are quickly reaching our event capacity of 40 men.

There has never been an event of this size, duration of caliber at this location, and it's doubtful that there will be another anytime in the next few years. We do have a full schedule of Military activities, as well as few interesting activities planned.

To date, these are the men we have:

The Officers and NCOs for Fort Nelgey are:

Capt: Brian Hicks - Widow's Sons Mess/WIG/Armory Guards
      Lt: Kiev Thomason - Widow's Sons Mess/Armory Guards
      Orderly Sgt: Tripp Corbin - WIG/Armory Gaurds
      2d Sgt: Eli Geery - Dippin' Gourd Mess
      3d Sgt: Herb Coats - WIG/Armory Guards
      Cpl: Kaelin Vernon - Dippin' Gourd Mess
      Cpl: Joe Smotherman - Mother Hudson's Bastard Son
      Cpl: Mark Waddell - Elk River Boys
      Cpl: Eric Brown - Armory Guards

Privates:

Barnett, Greg - Armory Guards
      Barr, Gene - Cumberland Mess
      Barr, Whit - Cumberland Mess
      Berezuk, Peter - Tramp Brigade Mess
      Bussa, Brian - Tramp Brigade Mess
      Davidson, Dale - Cumberland Mess
      Deal, Dan - Independent
      Fieldhouse, Josh - MOOCOWS
      Gray, Chad - WIGs
      Hares, Leland - HCB/Independent
      Harris, Jon - Dippin' Gourd Mess
      Hancock, Terry - Possum Skinner's Mess/Armory Guards
      Hoover, Mike - Dippin' Gourd Mess
      Irwing, JJ - Cumberland Mess
      Kelley, Cliff - Dippin Gourd Mess
      Martin, Andrew - Pumpkin Patch Mess
      McGarrahan, Brian - Tramp Brigade Mess
      Mueller, Ron - New Madrid Guards
      Orrand, Robert - 51st Tn/16th WI
      Potter, Heath - Dippin' Gourd Mess
      Skemp, Sam - Cumberland Mess
      Watkins, Baker - Dippin Gourd Mess
      Wilson, Brian - Armory Guards/WIG
      Last edited by trippcor; 10-23-2008, 04:28 PM.
      Brian Hicks
      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Do we have 6 able bodied 'Union' men either living near or visiting Middle Tennessee that may be willing to defend the strategic southern city of Nashville at Negley's Fort for one weekend in early November? To arms men.. To arms! I stand with you my brothers.
        Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM.
        Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
        Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
        ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
        ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
        ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
        ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
        ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

I hears that thare are loose wimmins in Nashville, and that Lynchburg Sweetwater sometimes makes it up thare too. Yoo jes maht wanna joins us thare whilst we still have room. ;)
          Ron Mueller
          Illinois
          New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
          Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
          Abraham Lincoln

Comment

What I believe that Mr. Abrams is reffering to is this:

(Taken as an excerpt from a three part series for the Murfreesboro Post called Valor & Lace by Shirley Farris Jones) (no I do not have direct period sources but I may refer you to an AC memeber who does)

[MODS feel free to reject this if you must]

"Nashville, our state's capitol has legalized WHAT???? Not Prostitution!!!!

With the fall of Fort Donelson on Feb. 16, 1862 Nashville soon found itself under Federal occupation. With its surrender nine days later, it was the first Southern capitol to fall and would remain under Union control for the remainder of the war. Many changes were in store for our neighboring town just down the pike. And there is no doubt that soldiers from our town took many an occasional ride down that same pike. But the concept was nothing new.

In 1860, before it all began, Nashville, like Murfreesboro, had reached its peak in economic prosperity. Annual commerce was over $25 million, which was quite remarkable for a population of 14,000 non-slave residents. There were more than 100 steamboats cruising the Cumberland River, and four railroads converged on Nashville from four directions. A major university, a medical school and an excellent system of academies attracted scholars from all over the South.

More than 30 publishers and journals called Nashville home and their products enhanced the culture and prosperity and prestige of the city. There were eight Methodist Churches, three Presbyterian, along with a wide representation of other denominations, including Baptist, Catholic, Episcopal and Lutheran.
            And all of this was complimented by the beautiful state capitol building, completed just five years earlier. But down the hill from this fine Greek temple, closer to the river, was another completely different district, known as “Smokey Row”, an area two blocks wide and four blocks long where an industry of a rather different nature thrived: eight full blocks of prostitution.

The 1860 census lists 207 women who show their occupation as “prostitute.” Realistically, there were most likely many others who chose to “be” a seamstress or waitress, etc. Of those 207, 198 were white and 9 were mulatto. Eighty-seven were totally illiterate and eight could read but not write. Twenty were widows. They ranged in age from 15, the youngest, to 59, the oldest.

Most were native Tennesseans. At that time, there were some very fine bawdy houses, but also a lot of poorer ones, and the next four years would see a very different Nashville. Although some of the women were Southern sympathizers, most flocked from all over the north to help cash in on the flow of Yankee dollars. It was no surprise that some brought some “unwanted guests” and it was only inevitable that the spread of venereal disease would occur in both the military and civilian population.

Doctors responded to the problem and Dr. Coleman ran an advertisement when he opened his Dispensary for Private Diseases on North Cherry St. Dr. A. Richard Jones also opened an office on Dederick Street for “private diseases.”

Capt. Ephraim Wilson described the first major attempt to control wartime prostitution: “During the winter of 1862-63, the Army had a social enemy to contend with which seriously threatened its very existence ... the women of the town.” He went on to say, “... fifteen hundred of them at a single time were gathered up and placed aboard a train and were compelled to leave and conducted under guard to Louisville. Louisville at first objected to receiving such a formidable array of unwelcome guests, but finally consented to do so, and Nashville was afterward all the happier and better off for their conspicuous absence.” It is probable to assume that the 30,000 Union soldiers in the area may have felt the loss more than Capt. Wilson.

But, the women apparently had not agreed to this relocation plan and were soon back in Nashville, and back in business. The problem was as bad, or even worse, than before. A factor hugely overlooked was that of supply and demand. During the month that the white prostitutes were river cruising, their black colleagues filled their places in Nashville. In an attempt to legalize and regulate both prostitution and the spread of disease, a referendum was passed whereby the prostitutes would have to be examined, declared disease free, or treated accordingly if not, whereby they would then be given a license to practice their trade. As of April 30, 1864, 352 women were licensed and 92 infected women had been treated. These same criteria were expanded to include “colored” prostitutes during the early summer of that same year.

The war ended, the soldiers went home, and a good many of the women moved on as well. What remained was the fact that Nashville holds the distinction of being America's first city to legalize prostitution."

Source: http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news...iewStory=10130

Of course the (mostly) 'Campbellite' Men of the Dippin' Gourds will not be rendering the service of these lowly southern women. We have our loved ones on the homefront awaiting our soon return. The men may conduct themselves in proper regard while on duty at Negley. Do as you may.. BUT.. You are hereby warned. Ha!
            Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
            Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
            ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
            ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
            ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
            ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
            ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

I wish I could make this event! If I was in Tennessee I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Now no one better break any bones or sprain something!
              Bill Backus

Comment

Registration Closes 31 October

I received two more registrations on today's mail.

I have commitments from two others, that registrations will be on the way.

If you plan on sending yours in, but have not yet done so... please get to it. If for some reason you fail to get it post marked before Saturday, please contact me. I can, and will work with you. It is not my intent to deny anyone from participating. The cut off date is for logistical planning. Specifically, for planing the meals to be prepared by the civilians.

We are standing at 34 men right now, taking the Sgts and Officers out, that gives us 29 rifles in the line. That's not to bad for what we are hoping to achieve, especially considering the site, the scenario and the space available for this event. I'll be pleased to have a few more, but what we currently have registered has already exceeded my expectations.

I'll be posting and sending out via e-mail, directions to the site, arrival and parking guidance, as well as final coordinating instructions for the event, on Sunday.
                Brian Hicks
                Widows' Sons Mess

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Directions to the Fort Negley Lh Program Nov. 8 And 9 2008

Folks,

Since we are going to have travelers coming form all points of the compass, I'd encourage each person traveling to use www.mapquest.com or Google Maps or a vehicle mounted GPS for directions to the event site.

This is the address:

1099 Fort Negley Blvd
                  Nashville, TN 37203-4848

Upon arrival, for check in, park at the visitors center and walk through the stone arches. Follow the paved ring road as it goes to the left and curves up around the hill. The civilians will be about 80 yards along the road, on the right. The military camp will be another 180 yards along the road, on the left.

If you have any of the following, please bring them:

1. Food for Friday night. (the event is not feeding you on Friday night)
                  2. Mattress tick.
                  3. Period correct cold weather items.
                  4. Period correct Axes, hand axes and saws.

Remember that Tim Parsons will be there to make images, and Kiev, Augusta Carr and a few others will have items for sale on Friday.

And finally... come with a good attitude and a desire to participate in a Living History program on ground that has for too long been neglected.

Cell phones work at the event site. For emergency contact needs, keep yours on vibrate.

The Park Office phone No. is: (615) 862-8470.

There will be someone on site from approx. noon on Friday until the event is over, which should be no later than 10:30 on Sunday.
                  Brian Hicks
                  Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Find below, the list of participants. (The list includes the names of several men whom have communicated to me, that their registrations are enroute.)

We have 36 men listed, with is exceptional.

The Officers and NCOs for Fort Nelgey are:

Capt: Brian Hicks - Widow's Sons Mess/WIG/Armory Guards
                    Lt: Kiev Thomason - Widow's Sons Mess/Armory Guards
                    Orderly Sgt: Tripp Corbin - WIG/Armory Guards
                    2d Sgt: Eli Geery - Dippin' Gourd Mess
                    3d Sgt: Herb Coats - WIG/Armory Guards
                    Cpl: Kaelin Vernon - Dippin' Gourd Mess
                    Cpl: Joe Smotherman - Mother Hudson's Bastard Son
                    Cpl: Mark Waddell - Elk River Boys
                    Cpl: Eric Brown - Armory Guards

Privates:

Barnett, Greg - Armory Guards
                    Barr, Gene - Cumberland Mess
                    Barr, Whit - Cumberland Mess
                    Berezuk, Peter - Tramp Brigade Mess
                    Bussa, Brian - Tramp Brigade Mess
                    Davidson, Dale - Cumberland Mess
                    Davis, CJ - Armory Gaurds
                    Deal, Dan - Independent
                    Fieldhouse, Josh - MOOCOWS
                    Gray, Chad - WIGs
                    Hares, Leland - HCB/Independent
                    Harris, Jon - Dippin' Gourd Mess
                    Hancock, Terry - Possum Skinner's Mess/Armory Guards
                    Hoover, Mike - Dippin' Gourd Mess
                    Irwing, JJ - Cumberland Mess
                    Kelley, Cliff - Dippin Gourd Mess
                    Martin, Andrew - Pumpkin Patch Mess
                    McGarrahan, Brian - Tramp Brigade Mess
                    Mueller, Ron - New Madrid Guards
                    Orrand, Robert - 51st Tn/16th WI
                    Potter, Heath - Dippin' Gourd Mess
                    Roberts, Jordan - Armory Guards
                    Sisly, Evan - Dippin' Gourd Mess
                    Skemp, Sam - Cumberland Mess
                    Ward, Gary - The Stragglers
                    Watkins, Baker - Dippin Gourd Mess
                    Weiss, David - 27th Ala. Inf.
                    Wilson, Brian - Armory Guards/WIG
                    Brian Hicks
                    Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Nashville Weather For The Fort Negley Event

Friday, 7 Nov.

High: 63
                      Low: 42

Precipitation: As of 8:30am, the rain has passed, with none projected after 10am.

Sunset: 4:44 PM CT

Saturday, 8 Nov.

High: 59
                      Low: 37

Precipitation: 10%

Sunrise: 6:17 AM CT
                      Sunset: 4:44 PM CT

Sunday, 9 Nov.

High: 55

Precipitation: 10%

Sunrise: 6:18 AM CT
                      Sunset: 4:43 PM CT
                      Brian Hicks
                      Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Thanks Brian and all the AG guys for the hard work you put into this weekend. I was a wonderful weekend. Good times, good people-just like a beer commercial,without the beer!
                        -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
                        "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
                        "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
                        "The Bully Boys"
                        "The Hard Case Boys"
                        "The Independant Mess"
                        29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
                        3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Thanks Brian I really enjoyed this past weekend. You did a good Job. Happy Birthday and Semper Fi.

Comment

Brian, Happy Birthday Marine, Semper Fidelis, and thank you.

We had 32 Men answer the roll call. Out of 36 registered, that is outstanding!

The park estimated that they had approximately 600 visitors. Personally, I would place the estimate closer to 300. regardless, even at 300, that exceeds what they normally have in about a two month period. With this in mind, and the remarks from the spectators we more than achieved our goal of bringing attention and much needed publicity to this long neglected site.

I'd like to thank Augusta Carr Scarborough for linking me up with Naomi Manning. Naomi Manning is the Park Director for that site, and she was very gracious and did much work behind the scenes to get the City and the Metro Park Services to allow us to have this event. She also was instrumental in providing the bales of hay which helped keep us from getting too chilled during the Night.

I'd like to thank Tim Parsons for coming down and providing his skills.

Richard Green, aka Professor Barclay the Wizard of Edinburgh did an outstanding job of entertaining the men with his authentic show of prestidigitation.

Augusta is also to recognized for organizing the civilian refugee contingent.

Susan Odom is to be thanked for leading the effort in feeding the men as the head cook on Saturday night and Sunday morning. The food was all period correct, in great quantity, and more importantly, it was not only hot but damned tasty as well!

Joe Smotherman was helpful in moving logistics on Friday, and served well as a Cpl during the event.

To Kiev Thomason, a fellow member of the Widow's Sons Mess, I'd like to extend special recognition in his providing logistical support, both pre and post event, as well as serving as the Lt. and providing the Bayonet training and the Bayonet dummies which them men got to actually lung and jab during the training on Saturday.

This events success is attributed not only to those listed above, but also to each and every man who participated.

To those who traveled from South Carolina, Illinois, Indiana, Georgia and other far distant places, I'd like to express additional gratitude for your dedication and taking on the time and expense to have come form so far to help support us.

I look forward to working with everyone involved at future events.

Thank You.
                            Last edited by BrianHicks; 11-10-2008, 07:44 PM.
                            Brian Hicks
                            Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

This was a fine event. It was great to meet several new folks and spend time with old friends alike. Based on the comments I read in the guest sign in book at the VC we more than accomplished the event goal of raising awareness of the Fort Negley park. The spectators were all extremely impressed with our efforts. Many had never been to the park or even knew it existed before this weekend. Congrats to Mr. Hicks for putting on such a fine and successful event!!

I know many of you had images struck by Tim Parsons. I would like to post these up on the Armory Guard website along with any other pictures you might have taken. So please post them here or email them to me at trippcor@bellsouth.net along with brief description.
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                              [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                              [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Here are a few photos. I am really glad that I made the trip to Nashville. This was a worthwhile cause and a fun time. I really enjoyed the bayonet drill, just let us get at the dummy's more in the future...
                                Attached Files
                                [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
                                [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
                                [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X