X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perryville KY 100 Man Company

Perryville, KY
    October 11 – 12, 2008

This year’s event will be slightly different for Union forces. We will be camped just outside the living history village, which is this year the town of Perryville after the battle. Town will be full of civilians, shop keepers and all manner of impressions. We are not going to be camped campaign like the soldiers did during the battle; we will be in a fixed camp area with one company street. We will be portraying a 100 man company occupying the town of Perryville. With the army present around the town marshal law will be declared and the military will govern some of the civilian activities.
    We will have a guard mount that will have walking routes that will protect both the citizens and the army. The guard mount will be pulled from the company. This will be maintained throughout the event. I suspect there will be inappropriate interactions with military and the civilians and civilian owned businesses. Civilians in the Living History Village will be able to solicit the army for rations etc. This will be a great time for all!!!!

We all know that gas prices are at an extreme, but Perryville is centrally located with over 700 acres of beautiful land. The park has committed to a full program of several thousand dollars for all participants and you will not be able to find a better quality event or a more fun time than here.

Most importantly all of your registration fees will go directly to preservation. Your money does not go to pay for the event.

Scenario for US Military and Living History Village – Perryville, Kentucky post battle October 1862.

Impression for Officers and Enlisted Men for Union Forces – A mid to early war impression for officers (limited use on sack coats.) Enlisted impressions should be typical Western Theater infantrymen in a fixed camp situation.

Impression Opportunities – A 100 man company with the following impressions available.
    87 enlisted men
    13 NCOs
    Cooks- Specifically looking for individuals that will only do cooking. You will have the support of the entire company for water and wood details. The park will provide all equipment and food needed for this impression. All you have to do is show up and cook! You will work in conjunction with the quartermaster.
    Laundresses – This must be a functional impression this means you will be open for business.
    3 officers

Additional Impression Opportunities –
    Officer of the Day
    Quartermaster
    Adjutant
    Sergeant Major
    Surgeons
    Chaplin

Cavalry and artillery that camp within this are will conduct themselves in accordance with army regulations for a 100 man company or battery.

If you are interested in applying for any one of these positions please send a short introduction and your practical experience. Please note that a general willingness to do some fun work and provide your comrades a quality time will go a long way. This will be an event in an event.

Please check the website for all the event information at www.perryvillereenactment.org

Thanks,
    Chad Greene
    Chad Greene

Re: Perryville KY 100 Man Company

That brings back some memories - the 100 man company. Thanks for posting that Chad - I'll have to see how October is looking.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Chad,
      add my name to the list.I will send in my registration in asap.
      Cullen
      Cullen Smith
      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Paul,
        I could use some help at Perryville. The event has alot to offer the park is putting out some serious bucks for the ration program etc. We did salt pork last year, but this year we are doing fresh beef etc. Joel Foust and some of his pards are going to do the company cooks. We also have a quarter master etc.
        The best thing all of the all of our registation fees go to the preservation organization. None of the money spent by the reenactors goes to pay for porta potties.
        Give me a holler and we can get you hooked up. I have a couple other opportunities I want to talk to you about also. I'll send my cell number to you.

I think Jake is coming to Duffield. I was going to come and play private that weekend with him, but the Historic Preservation Conf. for Kentucky is scheduled that weekend and I have several projects going on at Merchant's Row that I need to get some info on so I am not going to make it. I am having Jake and Chris sign up for your company.

Your Pard,
        Chad Greene
        Chad Greene

Comment

Pards,
          We have had a good response to the 100 man company. There are many commitments to both the staff positions, speciality impressions and best of all rifles.
          This is going to be a super opportunity. I am working on the ration program which will include fresh beef , essence of coffe, hardtack and veggetables this year. It also looks like we are going to get a ration of toothbrushes, tooth powders, candles and soap. The park has committed some serious funds to this program. Additionally for those of you who do not have A-frames we will have a sibley tent for you to use.
          To update everyone on event preperations we are going to have a tactical situation early Saturday morning on nearly 150 acres of the park that is not open to the public. Again this will be an unscripted tactical opportunity that is not open to spectators it is just for the reenactors.
          The Federal response has been great for this event. We do need to have some more CS rifles to make this a great event so if your interested please contact the park and let them know.
          One thing I would also like to mention is the keynote speaker for this year. It is Ruth Hill McAllister. She is the great granddaughter of Sam Watikins of the 1st TN Infantry. That should be a very interesting program for those of you who wish to attend that.

We need more good rifles for the Federal Army and to fill out the 87 privates. This is a great chance to participate in a quality program, donate your money and time to preservation and have a great experience on one of the most pristine battlefield in the country.
          Your Pard,
          Chad Greene
          Chad Greene

Comment

Re: musician needed

Pards,
            We need someone that can play drums at Perryville. There will be a few dollars in it for someone that has a good impression and can drum. Send me a message if you know anyone or you are interested.
            Thanks,
            Chad Greene
            Chad Greene

Comment

Gents:
              Registrations are starting to roll in and it is looking good. We still need rifles to fill the ranks. We are going to have opportunities for outpost and forward positions with an unscripted tactical on Saturday morning. We have use of several hundred acres of land with no spectators.
              We are in need of a good musician and we can come up with a bounty for them. We are also in need of a company sutler.
              We have some very good people on board and I will start posting the registration lists next week. Registration shuts down around September 15 so get your registration in. They are doing late registration, but it goes up 5.00.
              Remember all of your registration goes for preservation at the park.
              We need good men in blue!
              Your Pard,
              Chad Greene
              Chad Greene

Comment

Looking for someone to carpool from the Central IL/ or St. Louis area.
                Mark Krausz
                William L. Campbell
                Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                Old Northwest Volunteers
                Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Chad,

Registration is in the mailbox waiting to go out in the morning. I rounded the amount up to give a little extra to the preservation efforts.

Ernie W Steff

Comment

100 man company coming along

Hello All,

The 100 man company for Perryville 2008 is coming along very well. We have about 6 days left to get your registrations in before the fee goes up. We have around 35 registrations received for the company so far and many of you that have indicated you are coming have not got registrations in as of yet - we have commitments from about 75 people. Please get your registrations in. We are putting together the ration program and I need you all to get your info in asap. Remember the scenario is the US occupation of Perryville after the battle. The registration fee is 12.00 currently and you will receive a full ration program with lots of ammeniteis coming from the Sanitary and Christian Comm. I know they have hand dipped bees wax candles, toothbrushes, soap, etc. etc. You will pay little for lots of good stuff. The best thing is that all of your money goes directly into preservation. The park standards will be strictly enforced and you are guaranteed an authentic experience for you 12.00.

Again there will be a tactical opportunity as well as outpost opportunities for those attending and wanting to participate in that.

Please try to be at the park by Friday night so that I may get those who are wanting to do outposts to their positions before the Saturday morning tactical.

We could use some more good Southern Men as well. This will be a great program for all attending. If you haven't contacted the park please do so asap to get your invitation and registration info. You cannot download registration from the website it has to be sent from the park.

Thanks,

Chad Greene
                    Last edited by Chad Greene; 09-09-2008, 01:21 PM. Reason: forgot to sign my last name
                    Chad Greene

Comment

Pards,
                      We have over 70 registered for the company. I think we are doing very well.
                      If you at the last minute decided you can make it let me know. They will not allow you just to walk on - you have to have the approval of US command staff.
                      Let me know and I will get you on the pre-approved list.

The ration program is complete and is first rate. I will be sending emails this weekend to everyone who has registered that I have an email for.

Looking forward to seeing you all and travel safely!
                      Your Pard,
                      Chad
                      Chad Greene

Comment

Hello All,
                        We are up to 80 registered for the 100 man company at Pville. This is outstanding. It is going to be an excellent time.
                        I will be on site tomorrow afternoon and all day on Friday. If you decide at the last minute you can make it please contact the park asap to get on the approval list for the event. You won't be able to simply walk on you will need to have approval from command. Let me know or email Joni at the park at joan.house@ky.gov or go to the website at www.perryvillereenactment.org

We have an excellent program with full rations. We worked very hard on the site last week and have everything planned out.

For those of you who are coming please get there on Friday or as early Saturday as you can. We are having a tactical on 200 acres. We will be moving out early and there is a chance for outpost duty on Friday night.

This is going to be excellent! If you can make it you should consider coming.
                        Gas is at 3.35 cents in Kentucky. The weather is going to be sunny and 75 during the day with 55 at night. The park is beautiful, the ration program is excellent and the alter ego program is first rate.

Hope to see you there!
                        Your Pard,
                        Chad Greene
                        Chad Greene

Comment

Should anyone need a ride down the I-71/I-75 corridor on the way from Columbus, Ohio, I have two seats available in my Honda.
                          Bernard Biederman
                          30th OVI
                          Co. B
                          Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                          Outpost III

Comment

Had a great time at the event. Weather was fantastic and the scenarios went pretty smoothly. I want to thank Chad, Joni and everyone behind all the work for making this event a success. Thanks to all those who took part in the federal company. I thought the company we had was awesome and the staff and NCO's did a hell of a job. Was glad to be part of it. Looking forward to next year.
                            Micah Trent
                            Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                            Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Another wonderful event at Perryville. I was one of the company cooks in the Federal camp, my first experience in that endeavor, and I have to say that I have a whole new appreciation for those that take on that task on a regular basis. I am not sure I have ever been as tired after an event.

The visit by the Sanitary Commission was nice along with their contribution of soap, toothbrush and tooth powder. Ok, I know I am biased on that since my wife and daughter were part of the Sanitary party but it was a nice addition to the event.

Pay call and mail call were nicely done. The headquarters commissary folks were awesome helping us company cooks get things lined out for meals. The rations were incredible. Got to meet some new folks and reconnect with some others.

The members of the Allendale Melodians that made it down put on another fine show for us and even entertained the folks in the village both days. I never get enough of their music.

To the fine folks at the park a well deserved thank you for putting on such a good event. Yes, the numbers arent as large but the quality gets better and better each year. I hope more of the authentic minded start to put this one on their annual calendar. I am already looking forward to next year.
                              Tom Lowe
                              Western Federal Blues
                              Tar Water Mess
                              GHTI
                              42nd Indiana Inf.

Across the Ohio we could see “Old Indiana.” This made the boys home sick. How they did want to cross the river into “God's Country.” James B. Shaw, 10th Indiana Inf.

Comment

Working...
                              X