This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Chickamuaga??

I've got a question? Why isn't The 145th Battle of Chickamuaga listed on here? It SHOULD be the BIGGEST event n the South this year.

Joey Savage
    Huwald's Battery
    Tennessee Mountain Howitzers

Re: What about Chickamuaga??

Because hoss, it is a mainstream event and not supported by The Authentic Campaigner. I'm sure there will be an authentic company or two at the event, however, I believe most gents here on the AC will be participating at the Park Living Histories.
    [B]Justin Morris[/B]
    [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
    "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

Chickamauga offers plenty of same-ole, same-ole.

Steer your car to southeast Missouri for Marmaduke's Raid.
      Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by SavageReb View Post
        I've got a question? Why isn't The 145th Battle of Chickamuaga listed on here? It SHOULD be the BIGGEST event n the South this year.

Joey Savage
        Huwald's Battery
        Tennessee Mountain Howitzers
        Joey - the key words in your post are BIGGEST and SOUTH. I would hazard a guess that there will indeed be oodles of rebs at this one.

Allow me to vent a little here on how not to plan a 145th event. Though a "mainstream" event, this could have been quite a show with a quality campaigner adjunct had the organizers (CW Courier) done their homework and started drumming up support earlier...or taken a look at the crowded 2008 schedule and opted for 2009 instead. As a result, I think it safe to say that the ratio of CS to US will be a bit skewed from history. ;) Registration so far certainly reflects that.

The First Federal Division, the largest federal organization in the hobby, had already signed up to attend 2 events for 2008 (Stand of Colors and At High Tide - one more than normal) and another in March 2009 (Pea Ridge, the 2009 NSA event). That after having done Mill Springs in the Fall 2007. The incredible amount of work required for one large event per year, let alone 4 in 18 months, made it impossible to add still another in Chickamauga, the Johnny come lately event (pun intended).

I was at the January 2008 NSA meeting as only an observer and was astonished and a bit sad to find these guys just then attempting to drum up serious support on the blue side - less than 9 months prior to the event. It is a testament to the leadership and integrity of the First Federal Division that they voted at that January meeting to honor their previous committments. It was the right thing to do. As a result the FFD did one heckuva job at the 2008 events...and will no doubt do the same at Pea Ridge in March 2009.

As Justin relates, Jim Butler is running what promises to be an excellent federal LH at Chickamauga that same weekend and Marmadukes is pulling some great folks on both sides one week later as Fred Baker relates. Both of these events were also already set in stone long before the Chickamauga folks came calling. I'd pick one of those.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
        X