Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clash at Crittenden Farm

Friends,
    I attended the "Clash at Crittenden Farm" event this past weekend and I thought I'd let you know that I'd rate the event 5 stars out of 5. I'll try and post some details soon, but trust me, if Doug Oakes organizes the 11th "Death March" event next year, you should really try and get there.
    -Joe Bordonaro, late of Co. H, 13th Virginia Infantry
    Joe Bordonaro

Re: Clash at Crittenden Farm

Ditto on what Paul said.

It was a great time and I also what to say thanks to Charles for leading the 13th VA, Co H though the foray. Also a separate thanks to Charles for contributing wood to the fire in the middle of the night.

The only thing I would have changed was the one barrel of water at the C’s farm, a little strong on the chlorine treatment. I do want to look up that area on some Topo maps to get the elevations of what we climbed. Would be curious to know the distance we traveled.

The little snip of Co. H's roster we were each given to read aloud at the end was a nice touch to bring the experience together.

Y.O.S,
    [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
    Dirigo Grays
    CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
    Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Attached are a few remarks I had about the event...it was a good one...
      Attached Files
      Tom Scoufalos
      [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Marc,

Google Images covers New Albany, PA, rather well, and the property is boxed in by US 220, Stevenson Hill Road, and the other two paved roads. The images are good enough to find the fire hall, abandoned Lehigh Valley railroad grade, and a good number of the trails on the Epler Farm. This was the least amount of distance "trabbled" in the 10 events, but the second leg of the trip from the first ford to the dry spring covered approximately 400 feet of elevation, which is why we didn't sprint up that hill.

I'm still decompressing.

Looks like Death March XI in 2009 may have a one word theme: Corduroy. Lawdy!

Many thanks to the usual suspects (some of whom will be named later) and, especially, the fellows who trusted they'd get a little something out of the weekend, and expended their precious kitchen passes to attend Death March X: "Clash at Crittenden's Farm."
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

After Action Report
          Death March 10 – “Clash at Crittenden Farm”
          August 22-24, 2008
          Setting: Battle of Cedar Mountain, August 8-10, 1862
          13th Virginia Infantry, Company H
          Early’s Brigade; Ewell’s Division

It is with great pleasure that I submit the following:

I departed my home about 7:15 am to proceed to meet Pvt. Paul Rainey to catch the train to meet with our unit, the 13th Virginia, Company H which we understood to be near Cedar Mountain in the Valley. Our train departed about 9:00 am and after some stops and delays on those last few back roads, we found our unit and reported back in from furlough. The Valley is quite pretty with rolling hills and some steep mountains all around.

The 3rd Sergeant brought us to where the company was gathering just inside the woods on the edge of town. We were told to make ourselves comfortable as we still had members of the company coming in and we would need our rest. We are in the shadows of Cedar Mountain tonight and I understand it to also be known as Slaughter Mountain named for a man who once lived in the area. Not far away is the home and farm of some loyal Virginians, the Crittenden family.

Paul and I took out our ground cloths in hopes of some shuteye as we expected to move at any moment. There is some confusion as some of the army is delayed; we heard that A.P. Hill’s division may have taken a wrong turn and the Federals are near by. The people of this area seemed comforted by our presence as they have lived in fear with threats of death and retaliation by General Banks’ forces for any attacks on Union troops.

Our little gully bivouac was awash with chatter and troops coming in as I tried to rest. I had just doze off, when I was chosen for guard duty. It must have been about 10:00 pm. About 6 more stragglers arrived during my turn at duty. Once relieved, I went back to my spot, but could not sleep right off; eventually, I did doze. It must have been about midnight when I was about to unroll my blanket when we got orders to form the company as enemy Calvary were spotted in the area.

Within the half hour we were organized, and loaded our weapons and marched, 25-30 men strong, about ¼ mile, crossing a metal bridge past some small shacks of the local inhabitants. We reached a stream, Cedar Run. My section of 6 men were ordered to cross the creek to stand picket for the night just beyond the home of the widow Crittenden. Lieutenant Charles Heath and our 1st Sergeant positioned us and I volunteered for the first rotation as I knew I would not sleep very soon and standing duty would be best use of time. The LT explained the dire situation we were in and that we could expect action at any time; that our night may not be very restful.

Within a few minutes there was movement in the woods just to my front and I called for Corporal Fabel. Something was there, but we judged the situation to an animal or two. After my hour on guard, I was relieved and went back and made my “bed” for the night. We were told to ‘sleep on arms’, so I laid down once again with just my ground cloth for some chilly slumber. I awoke a few times and then finally when the sun’s rays were starting to appear I got up and began to anticipate what may be next.

Once the sun was up, myself and two other men were detailed to help the widow with some chores. Wood was chopped and we started a fire for her. A short while later, I went back on guard duty for the next hour as my turn in the rotation was up again. Once relieved, I returned to Mrs C’s little shanty and she was helping the boys make some Johnny Cakes and also provided my little group of men with coffee and some corn which was roasting by the fire. At this point the supply wagons had not caught up with us and our haversacks were empty, so this was a nice meal indeed.

As time past we heard a wagon and word spread that rations were being dropped off. The wagon proceeded towards us and the drivers offered to take our dear widow to Richmond so she would be safe. We proceeded to load the wagon with her belongings and she left us with 12 ears of corn.

Two other men and I were detailed to collect our section’s share of the rations (as I remember): 3 eggs, 16 hard crackers, about a cup of split peas, two cups of cornmeal, a small piece of meat – maybe a pound, salt, two candles and a huck towel. We cooked and ate some of our rations and stuffed the rest and our corn in our haversacks.

Late morning word was past to prepare to move up the mountain. It was a slow and steady climb as the heat of the day was upon us. One half of the company deployed directly up the hill in one section when some Yankee bullets whizzed through the trees. Luckily, my platoon continued on the trail up the mountain. We were hot and thirsty as we passed a dry spring and it was about 2/3rds of the way up when we paused for a break as we united with the 2nd platoon.

2nd Platoon continued in front scouting the way. At the top we circumvented a corn field and entered some woods. It was here in a nice shady spot, the company stopped to replenish canteens in a little spring. Lt. Heath was worried that the Union may hold the spring and we would have to fight them off before we could get more water. The Lt told us to drop our blanket rolls and accoutrements as we posted pickets. I dosed in the warmth of the day and felt good when we once again got ready to move.

We reached the edge of the woods and received word that we were about to engage the enemy. We were deployed as skirmishers across a field and as we doubled quicked into position, I could see the Union forces across on the next hilltop – a mile as the crow flies at least. Between us was a small valley containing a field, a fence and a tree line obscuring a gully, beyond that a corn field. As we reached our positions, a cannon was heard and we saw the plum of smoke and we advanced down the hill and the Federals moved down to meet us.

We stopped at the fence and lay down. We could then see the boys in blue emerging from the trees forming, their own skirmish line. We open fire and they returned fire, then we climbed the fence and advanced in our skirmish line, driving the Union back into the trees to the edge of the corn. We continued to exchange volleys and men fell wounded. The Federals retreated though the corn and we crossed the gully and followed them through the rows of corn. Once on the other side, the fight continued, but the artillery fire drove us back across the corn and we reformed on the edge of the gully.

It was then that Lt. Heath ordered us back to the road and we marched as far as the Crittenden Farm, where we took water for our near empty canteens. We assured them of safety and some men were stationed there as pickets and it wasn’t long before the wounded arrived under Mr. and Mrs. Crittenden’s care. The rest of the company moved about ¼ mile up a small ridge and we prepared to rest and await further orders.

I was detailed to accompany Lt. Heath back to the farm and along the way, a message was delivered from General Banks requesting a cease fire to collect the wounded and bury the dead. At the farm we met a Lt. Oakes from the Union troops we just engaged. Lt. Heath could not respond to a General directly – that would have to come from Brigade, so a gentleman’s agreement was made for a cease fire until at least sundown. I retuned with our Lieutenant and we made our camp for the night.

One of our sergeants traded some stamps for a ham for our Company, so our meager rations were supplemented. Other dealings with the fine family netted Company H with some vegetables, butter and berries. We ate well, but saved some for morning.

The night was clear and stars filled the sky and Union camp fires could also be observed across the valley. I dozed and awoke with a chill. I felt sure I had been sleeping a long time as camp was silent. I rolled around, pulled some of my ground cloth over me and dozed again, awaking again. I then realized that the moon was only beginning its journey across the sky. I decided to relight our section’s cook fire and dozed again, waking every so often to re-stoke the fire. My Corporal joined me on the opposite side of the fire at some point. At one awaking, nature called and I gathered some more downed braches by candle light. Another awaking found the “fire wood ferry”, Lt. Heath was placing a few pieces on wood on our fire.

It must have been about 5 am when I awoke for the last time and commenced to heating water for coffee and made breakfast of a piece of ham, a hard cracker and an ear of corn. Just as I finished rolling my blanket we were order to fall in. I was a bit tardy, not by much, but luckily nothing was said as I was not the last man in formation. We did some basic drill of Gilham’s with an experienced Corporal, a VMI man, as our guide. It was good drill!

We then marched out and down the hillside to the Crittenden Farm to refill canteens. Wagons were there to take the wounded back behind the lines. The Lt. had us drop our blanket roll and load our weapons. We moved back down the road towards the woods line of the day before.

We crossed the gully and formed on the edge of the corn. A foreboding feeling came across the men with the thought of advancing though the corn again to engage the Federals. Mercifully, we left faced and marched behind the field of corn then went through single file. On the other side, we stayed low and double quicked along the base of the hill reentering the woods on an old farm road. We continued our march down the mountain, traveling what seemed to be 4 or 5 miles, songs being sung, back to the creek we forded the night before.

At the creek, we cleared weapons and marched across. Once the entire company was in the creek, we were halted and Lt. Heath shared some encouraging words. On the other side we were greeted with some fresh water and iced tea and we continued our march. Once we reached the town street, we fixed bayonets and proudly finished the march back to the 21st century to the tune of “Dixie.” Once arriving at the New Albany V.F.D. building, we stacked arms and Charles handed out slips of paper for each of us to read aloud. It was our name next to one of the members of the 13th VA, Company H. It was neat to read and hear a small snippet of each man we were ‘assigned’. It was a nice finishing touch to put what we just went though in perspective.

About 10:40 am, changed and gear loaded, Paul and I traveled back home to Maine. We parted ways in Gorham and I arrived back home about 10:00 pm. I was tired, a little sore, but ready to go again. This was my first true “Campaigner” event and it was well worth it. Everyone was friendly and the men pulled together throughout. Charles Heath did a great job as our company commander and his portrayal worked well in setting the mood, tricking the mind into being in the moment. In addition, Doug and Terri Oakes worked very hard to make the event a success as well. I had a great time and hope to meet and fall in with these folks once again at a future event.

Respectfully submitted,
          Marc Averill, Pvt.
          (John G. Allen, 13th Virginia Infantry, Company H)
          [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
          Dirigo Grays
          CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
          Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Tom and Marc,
            Great reports! Thanks!
            Charles,
            "corduroy"....does this mean we need to sharpen our axes?
            -Joe Bordonaro
            Joe Bordonaro

Comment

The amount of effort Terri and Doug expended shows in the quality of the event. Beautiful farm, great scenario and wonderful participants. The two, yes two sets of wagons and draft horses were amazing. Thanks Ed and Larry.

Charles always throws a few surprises into the hopper. Regardless of what you may read on other forums, he knows his @#*$!

Finally, other than fleeting moments, this was the first time in a civilian scenario with Terre Lawson. Top shelf living historian, first rate in first impression and simply a wonderful sense of humor. Thank you for teaching me how to literally boil water.
              Ley Watson
              POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

This event was great. I was surprised there was any corn left in those fields after the several times we went through it! The commanders were great and the commaraderie was first rate!! I can't wait for next year!
                [I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Matt Kraybill[/FONT][/I]
                [B][SIZE="5"]61st Regiment
                New York Volunteers[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

As I told Charles after he asked me on Sunday what I liked best, I'll say it again...I now have a real Love/Hate relationship with corn!

Neil Randolph
                  1st WV

Comment

Neil,

I like corn.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Next time this much corn is available, I really shall have to drive up.

It is well nigh on to impossible to pack and transport proper corn processing equipment and storage jugs on the train ;)

Do tell when y'all have a firm date for 2009--while for most fellers 2009 will be the year of 'Digging In', for our little traveling circus, 2009 will be 'Back to the Past' as we are planning on spending much more time in the 18th century. We see the opportunity for a 'twofer' with Death March in August, 2009.
                      Terre Hood Biederman
                      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Mrs. Lawson,

What a pleasant surprise to see you Sunday morning! If I'd known that you were "Mrs. Crittenden" I would have more seriously considered the wounded part of the event. As it was, those who were carted to the barn for treatment spoke highly of their experience.

We did have two rather squirrelly looking deserters come into our lines early Sunday morning after having thrashed about looking to surrender to someone! Those boys looked appropriately whipped and hungry! They fell upon the offered hardtack and leftover stew with alacrity! Very nice impressions.

It should also be noted that Chris Piering deserted the Union ranks Saturday eve after much criticism of the army and our government. He may still be running back to his farm in Pa.!

Neil Randolph
                        1st WV

Comment

Neil,

Recruiting volunteers for the casualties was much like the proverbial pulling of teeth, and even Phil Guenther was drafted to fill in for Scott Donner at the last moment. You had your chance, and with most of these events by Doug & Terri, you really never know what will happen or who will be there. For example, the presence of so many coyotes was a surprise to me. We have them here, and they've spread all the way to the ocean, but reports from the barn dwellers claim the coyotes (and bats) were thick as thieves.

Speaking of Chris' departure....the spectators were piqued by this lone federal exiting to the east along the farm lane. I wonder how many fellows even noticed the locals watching events unfold on that pretty farm.

Time for me to write that AAR for the newsletter....
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                            For example, the presence of so many coyotes was a surprise to me. We have them here, and they've spread all the way to the ocean, but reports from the barn dwellers claim the coyotes (and bats) were thick as thieves.

Ahem. Chawls. There was a reason the drowsy Mrs. Crittenden had a lamp lit at 3:00 am and was wasting oil while dozing, as you discovered when you came up to tell her there were soldiers in her lane.

That handsome axe made a nice bedfellow too.
                            Terre Hood Biederman
                            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Terre,

After a few years of invites and conflicts, the first one of these "Death Marches" I was able to attend was in 2005 near Elmira, and a Friday night electrical storm (horizontal lightning 10 feet off the ground sho' am exciting) coupled with high heat and humidity Saturday was enough to make it right interesting. I believe that may have been the first year with opposing forces. In any case, it was our first introduction to the now legendary White Star Saloon, which so recently visited Winter 1864 2008, as part of the Living History Guild's contribution to that event.

The 2006 Death March near Elmira saw an upswing in recruitment and attendance, although remaining a small event by any standard. By the time the boys reached the finish line, they were plum tuckered out, but a kindly soul and his handful of spinster daughters provided a good meal. It's a shame Suz, one of the daughters, and the pie maker of the bunch, couldn't have made the 2008 rendition, as she enjoys portraying the same oh too little seen echelon of Southern social strata that you also enjoy. Does it well, too.

The 2007 version was in McDonough NY, which is near Marathon in between Syracuse and Binghamton. This location was just a few miles from I-81, and that was thought to be a good thing. The registration numbers and attendance were down. Maybe it was the change in venue or the recent flooding, but that land was very pretty, and only a few enjoyed it. Perhaps one year we will return to that location.

This year was my favorite of the four attended thus far. Each rendition has been very different. I'm hoping we can drag a few folks through the DM XI site on November 1st.
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X