Fort Moultrie, Dec. 2008 CANCELLED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Moultrie, Dec. 2008 CANCELLED

Unfortunately and due to circumstance beyond my control, the Tramp Brigade Mess has to cancel the Living History scheduled for December 12-14. The NPS staff was unable to secure higher authorization, budgetary and staff support for the weekend.

I apologize for this inconvenience, however; I didn't want to wait to the last minute, as we are still 37 days out and this would give folks time to react. The May, 2009 event is also on hold, but we should have a definite answer by December 1st, 2008.

We would like to regroup and take the following actions, with your support:

1. Attend the adjunct event at Fort McAllister of the same weekend as late war Federals, we could also coordinate with the SCAR and other Georgia events to support the May, 2009/1859 event.

2. This will also allow more time for people to acquire the necessary gear for this series, I am still lobbying for a December, 2010 "Federal Evacuation" and the 150th Fort Sumter.

3. Produce a better and more responsive event for 2009, rather than having two low attendance events.

Again I am sorry for any confusion. If anyone wants to attend Ft. McAllister and can't cancel airline tickets, I will have a van to transport people from Charleston to Savannah at no cost. If you change your destination to Savannah, let us know and we will also pick you up at the airport.

I would rather have more support for the May, 2009 event, so if you have to use a kitchen pass, then it would be better spent in the spring.

I would like to preserve a good rapport with Fort Moultrie and the NPS, and sometimes our needs aren't always #1 on their list. Hopefully our proposal will be accepted and we will have a more dedicated answer for you in the future. If you have any further questions please email them to me.

carolinatiger@charter.net
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: Fort Moultrie, Dec. 2008 CANCELLED

Greg:

First, my condolences. I was warned a number of times on the Malvern Hill-Glenside event that the last minute (T minus 45 days) to the finish line are usually the most difficult with the NPS.

It is kind of interesting... The CR has been waiting on an answer from the NPS on a proposed 2009 living history. We were told October 1, then November 1. While a different department than the Richmond boys and girls with the famous hats, it seems to be getting more difficult for them. Who knows what future budgets hold in store?

Best to you.
    Ley Watson
    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Working...
    X