Pickett's Mill Living History June 2, 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickett's Mill Living History June 2, 2007

On Saturday June 2nd, 2007 the Armory Guards are putting on a Living History program for Pickett’s Mill Battlefield Park from 10 am to around 3 pm. There will be weapons demonstrations (please bring rounds), drill…including skirmish drill, some marching, and opportunities to speak with the public. This is a one day deal, but you are welcome to stay and sleep at the cabin on the park grounds on Friday evening and Saturday evening. Most participants are planning to stay on Saturday evening and James Wooten, one of the rangers at the park, will give a tour of the battlefield on Sunday morning. Lunch will be prepared for the participants and the volunteers usually go out to eat for dinner, but you are welcome to bring your own dinner and use the cookfires near the cabin. Mr. Jason Scoggins of the Armory Guards will be in overall command for the demonstrations on Saturday. The webpage is at: http://pickettsmillpark.org for more information about Pickett’s Mill Park and there are directions on how to get to the park as well.

The impression will be 1864 Atlanta Campaign Confederate and guidelines for the kit are:

Headgear:
    Civilian slouch hat. Black or gray preferred. Edge of brim as well as hat bound with silk.
    CS "issue" hat. Wool felt, hand-stitched leather sweatband, lined crown with maker's stamp, silk ribbon-edged brim, silk ribbon hat band.
    Hardee hat. Black wool felt, hand-stitched leather sweatband, label in crown, double-stitched on brim.
    Kepi or cap. Grey wool jean, tarred canvas or leather bill, leather sweatband (an original on display at Kennesaw Mountain Visitor's Center).
    Plant fiber/straw hat.

Shirt:
    Civilian shirts. Hand-sewn in 100% fiber. Patterns must be woven, no prints, with hand sewn button holes.

Shell Jacket:
    Jackets should be of jeans material, hand top stitched, and must have hand sewn button holes.

Orphan Brigade/Columbus Depot.
    Atlanta Depot.
    North Carolina Depot.
    Milledgeville/Augusta Depot.
    Mobile Depot.

Trousers:
    Civilian Jean. Original patterns in grey, brown or black. hand top-stitching, with hand-sewn button holes.
    Civilian Wool. Identified style, hand sewn button holes.
    Military Issue. Identified style, stitching same as above.
    Suspenders:
    Civilian. Any type of period civilian model with tin or brass buckles. No buckles of nickel-plated metal.
    Canvas/Ticking. hand-stitched with hand sewn button holes.
    Drawers:
    An identified civilian or issue pattern with bone or wood buttons and hand sewn button holes.

Socks:
    Civilian socks, particularly hand-knitted cotton-wool.
    Shoes:
    Jefferson bootees/brogans. Confedrate issue.
    English shoes or boots. Military or civilian style.
    Identified civilian boots.
    Federal issue brogans, limited use.

Waistcoats/Vests:
    Jefferson bootees/brogans. Confederate Issue.
    English shoes or boots. Military or civilian style.
    Identified civilian boots.
    Federal issue brogan, limited use.

BLANKETS, TENTAGE, ETC.
    Blankets:
    Civilian blankets of 100% wool or jean, should be muted earth tones. No synthetic blends.
    North Carolina Issue or other state in C. S. issue.
    No Quilts.
    Brown or grey captured U. S. issue blankets (brown preferred).

Tentage:
    Captured shelter half, early war style (shorter version), 100% canvas with NO brass grommets or rope. Hend-sewn button holes, bone buttons. Limited use.
    Gum Blankets/Ground Cloth:
    Canvas, soaked in Linseed Oil.
    Confederate States oil cloth. Canvas with oil or enamel paint.
    Captured Federal issue items. Limited use.

ACCOUTREMENTS
    Haversacks:
    Canvas bag of identified C. S. pattern. Button or buckle closure.
    U.S. issue tarred type, with buckle and with inner bag. Limited use.
    Canteens:

Wooden type. Made of cedar/cypress/cherrywood, etc. Various styles.
    Tin Drum. Various sizes and styles, try to find a common identified type.
    U.S. issue bullseye or smoothside with or without jean/wool cover.
    English canteen.

Knapsacks (optional)
    Mexican War Style.
    Imported English. Issue Campbell and Co. maker.
    Confederate issue/manufacture of any of above styles.
    U. S. Issue double bag. Limited use.

Cartridge Boxes:
    Any A.O.T. identified box.
    Tarred canvas box, with or without sling. Limited use.
    U.S. issue M 1855/61 box, no plate. Limited use.
    Imported English box. Limited use.

Cap pouches:
    U. S. M 1850 pouch. Limited use.
    U. S. shield front pouch. Limited use.
    Any A.O.T. identified pouch.
    Tarred canvas A.O.T. pouch.
    English Enfield pouch, white buff. Very limited use.

Bayonet Scabbard: (Bayonet shoud fit weapon chosen below)
    Any identified A.O.T. frog and scabbard.
    Imported English frog and scabbard.
    U.S. regulation 7 or 8 rivet. Limited use.

Waistbelt:
    Leather, preferrably black, with any A.O.T. belt plate of buckle. Frame type, rectangular CSA, clipped corner CS, forked tongue, roller buckle and Georgia Frame are all common.
    Tarred canvas with above plates. Limited use.
    Captured U.S. belt and plate. Very limited use.

WEAPONS All original muskets must be compatible to the era and be in proper working order.
    P 1853 Enfield: Repros need proper modifications.
    M 1855 Springfield: Repros need proper modifications.
    M 1861 Springfield: Repros need proper modifications. (note: M 1863 Springfield is not appropriate).
    1864 Richmond: Repros need proper modifications.
    Austrian Lorenz: 54 cal., original in safe, working order.
    Belgian Conversion: 69 cal., original in safe, working order.
    Slings: Canvas or russet leather. Very limited use.

***No anachronisms-this includes modern eyeglasses, modern jewelry, wristwatches, etc. Smoking and tobacco use should be in period fashion only, such as plug tobacco and pipes (cigars are o.k. for officers). Cigarettes are not allowed.

If you are planning to attent next year's Picketts Mill event then this year's Living History is a good chance to see the park at a leasurely pace. Next year's event will probably be different.

If you have any questions send a PM or you can email me at

Hcoats@keckwood.com
    Last edited by trippcor; 04-24-2007, 06:18 AM. Reason: Corrected Date
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: Pickett's Mill Living History June 2, 2007

Herb

2006? Don't you mean 2007?
    Robert Collett
    8th FL / 13th IN
    Armory Guards
    WIG

Comment

I suspect a cut 'n' paste job. I'll be there no matter what year it is.
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
      [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

I see the date above is corrected. Sorry for any confusion. Pay no attention to the Mods behind the curtains!!!!
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Herb-

What CS unit will be portrayed? Generic?

Joe Walker
          Waco Guards

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Walker View Post
            Herb-

What CS unit will be portrayed? Generic?

Joe Walker
            Waco Guards
            Dear Sir, We will be Generic that weekend not name brand:wink_smil
            Kiev Thomason
            a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
            WIG
            Armory Guards
            Forest Park Lodge #399
            Forest Park GA.

Comment

Joe,

To answer your question we will portraying the men of Cleburne's division. I'll ask James Wooten if he wants us to portray a specific unit or just "generic" AOT using the guidelines that are listed.
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Herb,

Sign me up!
                Robert Collett
                8th FL / 13th IN
                Armory Guards
                WIG

Comment

Just a little reminder this event is only two weeks away. Anyone wishing to attend needs to notify Jason Scoggins at jvscoggins@aol.com or Herb Coats (see his address listed in previous post) so we can ensure we have enough rations for everyone.
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                  [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                  [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I want to answer the question posted earlier about the unit being portrayed. We will be portraying generic AOT soldiers. No specific unit, but we will be at and near the spot where Granbury's Texans were stationed for the night assault. If the park wants us to portray a specific unit then I'll lobby for the 10th Texas since I am familiar with the unit.

If anyone is interested in attending still, please read through the guidelines. This is a low key Living History, but as with events posted on this forum there are levels of expectations that will be met. ie....no goofy hat brass, galtroops, bad uniform reproductions, etc.

The park has a great reputation for allowing quality units to help with there programs, and the Armory Guards will continue this idea. Remember to bring rounds!!!!! (something I forget about from time to time.)

Thanks all!
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

Is there a venue for mounted? I'm working a new horse and need to get him out anywhere I can. Also, my girl friend Linda Nyland does a very good civilian impression, also mounted if that is possible.
                      James and Chuck know us. I have done the mill for about 14 years.
                      Patrick
                      Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                      Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Or for a bugler...
                        Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                        Old wore out Bugler

Comment

I think Coley said y'all would be out there so we could do some joint drills and show why certain Drill formations or stances are used when Infantry fights Cavalry and when Cavalry fights Infantry.
                          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

If you portray 10th Texas you'll need austrian 54 cal rifles. They got springfields after Picketts Mill. JIM HENSLEY
                            [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
                            Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

Jim......

I am very aware of what weapons were issued to the 10th Texas Infantry before and and the ones they were issued after the fight at Pickett's Mill. In general there has not been a decent reproduction of the Austrian rifle (until recently, see the thread about the Loyalist Arms Austrian Lorenz), and originals run the range of not being able to fire to being fine and dandy to fire. And some reenactors who own originals do not want to fire their weapons.

As stated at the earlier of this thread the park wants a good representation of what the private soldier in the Army of Tennessee was equipped with. As of today, this generic impression remains true for the Living History demonstration on Saturday. If you are attending and have an Austrian Lorenz in good working order then feel free to bring it out. I will refer to the Park’s choices regarding weapons again for all to peruse:

“WEAPONS All original muskets must be compatible to the era and be in proper working order.
                              P 1853 Enfield: Repros need proper modifications.
                              M 1855 Springfield: Repros need proper modifications.
                              M 1861 Springfield: Repros need proper modifications. (note: M 1863 Springfield is not appropriate).
                              1864 Richmond: Repros need proper modifications.
                              Austrian Lorenz: 54 cal., original in safe, working order.
                              Belgian Conversion: 69 cal., original in safe, working order.
                              Slings: Canvas or russet leather. Very limited use.”

It is good to see that Scotty McKay’s research page on the 10th Texas Infantry is still being viewed and cited. Here is the link for anyone that is interested in some darn good information on The AOT Texas brigade:

Some of the links are dead, but most of the information is still there. And f.y.i. the old 10th Texas reenactment group merged with other authentic minded groups in Georgia to form the Armory Guards earlier this year.
                              Last edited by Coatsy; 05-30-2007, 05:29 PM. Reason: word usage
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X