Dug Gap Living History- May 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dug Gap Living History- May 5th

The Armory Guards will be hosting a LH program at Dug Gap park on Sat. May 5th, 2007. Dug Gap is located on Rocky Face Ridge at Dalton, Georgia. You would exist at Walnut Avenue and head west up Rocky Face, going past the massive conference center (where the annual relic show takes place). Dug Gap park is near the top of mountain. A small parking lot is adjacent to the site.

The skirmish at Dug Gap on May 8th, 1864 was one of the first serious engagements of the Atlanta Campaign. From atop Rocky Face Ridge, the Confederate force consisting of the 1st & 2nd Arkansas mounted infantry and elements of Grigsby's Cavalry Brigade managed to repulse the two Federal brigades of Candy and Buschbeck (John W. Geary's 2nd Div., Hooker's XX Corps).

Gen. Geary wrote in his report, "The palisades were charged impetuously by portions of both brigades. The attack was a gallant one, officers and men rushing through the few narrow apertures or clamoring over the precipice ... hand to hand encounters took place and stones as well as bullets became elements in the combat, the enemy rolling them over the precipice, endangering our troops below ... So few at a time could clambor through the narrow clefts that the enemy overwhelmed them and forced them off the cliffs."

The property is managed by the Dalton CW Round Table and they will be advertising our anniversary program in the local papers. The Dalton CW Round Table is also attempting to create additional parks on the portion of Rocky Face Ridge that is north of Mill Creek Gap.

This event has the potential to open up other avenues for programs within the Dalton area. We would highly urge that everyone who can make the event please do so.

The impression will be the 2nd Regt. Arkansas Mounted Infantry (who were actually dismounted) of Gen. Daniel H. Reynolds brigade, Walthall's Div., Polk's Corps. All the usual circa 1864 AoT Confederate infantry guidelines apply.

Since the program will only run through Sat. there is some discussion that we stay at Dug Gap through Sat. night (going into town to get something to eat or course) and proceed to the Stone Mtn. shindig on Sunday morning.

We'd like to thank Howard Davis of the Possum Skinners for helping to "open the door" for this program.

You can arrive on Friday evening if you like.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Re: Dug Gap Living History- May 5th

Tripp,
    I would suggest that whom ever has any brush clearing implements bring them. It's pretty tight up there, we'll need some room.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by HighPrvt View Post
      Tripp,
      I would suggest that whom ever has any brush clearing implements bring them. It's pretty tight up there, we'll need some room.
      Do we need room to drill or sleep or what?What kinda tools do you need ??Weedeater or bulldozer?:)
      Kiev Thomason
      a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
      WIG
      Armory Guards
      Forest Park Lodge #399
      Forest Park GA.

Comment

C-4, Det cord.
        Seriously,
        Bring anything ya got. There's a lot of vegetation, anything from weeds, to downed trees. Including a lot of small saplings. Not much open room for anything, but nothing we can't take care of in short order. Good thing is that there's plenty of firewood.
        I was going to try and go up there one day this week, but I'm not sure I'll have time.
        [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

AAR,
          It rained long enough to get shelter up. The wind blew almost hard enough to cover up the terrible sounds Robby was making as Montezuma had his revenge. No spectators showed up, just a bunch of " up to no good teenagers".
          I still wonder what the two couples that wondered up on a bunch of half naked men at midnight, in the parking lot.......

Had fun though.
          [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

This is a photo I took several years ago does the area still look the same?

Last edited by Silver Spring Guards; 05-14-2007, 11:24 PM.
            [B]Steven Cone
            "The Dippin' Gourd Mess"
            <A HREF="http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/SilverSpringMess.html"><I>"Silver Spring Mess"</i></A> <br>Stones River Nat'l Battlefield Volunteer
            Living Historian and Battlefield Preservationist
            [COLOR="Blue"]ACPP ; CWPT ; BONPS ; STFB [/COLOR][/B]

[I][B]January 18-20, 2008 "The Calm Before The Storm" <br>April 19, 2008 "Fort Granger" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN"<br>June 20-22, 2008 "The Eastern Flank" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN[/I][/B]

Comment

Add more weeds, and yep!
              [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

I have posted a couple of pictures on the Armory Guards website (www.armoryguards.org). As Howard said just add more weeds. The site really needs some TLC.
                [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Thanks Tripp & Howard.
                  [B]Steven Cone
                  "The Dippin' Gourd Mess"
                  <A HREF="http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/SilverSpringMess.html"><I>"Silver Spring Mess"</i></A> <br>Stones River Nat'l Battlefield Volunteer
                  Living Historian and Battlefield Preservationist
                  [COLOR="Blue"]ACPP ; CWPT ; BONPS ; STFB [/COLOR][/B]

[I][B]January 18-20, 2008 "The Calm Before The Storm" <br>April 19, 2008 "Fort Granger" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN"<br>June 20-22, 2008 "The Eastern Flank" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN[/I][/B]

Comment

I live in Tunnel Hill and get the Dalton paper. I never saw anything about this living history in the paper so its no wonder yall didnt have any spectators. I just heard about this when I stumbled up on it in a search a minute ago. Do yall have any plans of holding this living history again in 2009 or later. I've thought about trying to get a few guys to do one there in the past I just never tried getting anything going.
                    Captain Andy Witt
                    52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
                    Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

Originally posted by rebelfirefighter07 View Post
                      I live in Tunnel Hill and get the Dalton paper. I never saw anything about this living history in the paper so its no wonder yall didnt have any spectators. I just heard about this when I stumbled up on it in a search a minute ago. Do yall have any plans of holding this living history again in 2009 or later. I've thought about trying to get a few guys to do one there in the past I just never tried getting anything going.

Mr Witt, we did that living history almost 2 years ago. I belive at that time Howard did get something in the paper, but as you know it's not a real heavily traveled area. It really is an interesting site, and probably one of the few remaining "accessable" AoT stoneworks sites, except for Lookout Mtn.
                      Last edited by Mtn.Guerilla; 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM.
                      Eric N. Harley-Brown
                      Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Does anyone know when the Dug Gap site is open? Whenever I am in the Dalton area, it has been closed. Thanks!
                        Roy Queen

Comment

Some years back they shut and locked the gate to keep people from parking in the small parking lot at night. They widened the side of the road outside the gate so that people can park there and walk up. It's perfectly fine for anyone to go up there anytime. There are always cars parked there, especially this time of year and I've seen tons of people walking around up there.
                          Captain Andy Witt
                          52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
                          Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

Working...
                          X