Lee's Final Retreat - September 1-2, 2007 - Eagle, WI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lee's Final Retreat - September 2-3, 2007 - Eagle, WI

QUOTE=DougCooper;65158]I'm just happy that awful memory may be expunged, though if you guys changed it to Meade's Final Advance that would be OK too :D

Wish I could go but have a wedding that weekend. :([/QUOTE]

;););) Got somthin in my eye. Sweet Memories Not a H/A. Join The Mo man, Geriactric Sunny and I on a 42.735 mile (nautical) Intrepretive Program of Lee's Final Retreat during April, 2008 -- for the Landsman, 6,076.11549 ft/NM--or--5,280 ft/LM. Specific dates, locations and scenarios from Petersburg to Appomattox C/H. TBD.

:shades_sm Lester

Lester Schumacher

Comment

Re: Lee's Final Retreat - September 1-2, 2007 - Eagle, WI

Dan;

Thank your parents for the pictures. The background really shows just how pristine OWW actually is. Everyone in the midwest and beyond should take note of what a wonderful playground we have to offer.
      Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Karl, I have quite a few more pictures that I sent to Dave to hopefully go up on the ONV site. I also have video that I eventually will try to get linked to the ONV site.
        Dan Chmelar
        Semper Fi
        -ONV
        -WIG
        -CIR!

Comment

Here are a few more pictures for your view pleasure.

Dan Chmelar
          Semper Fi
          -ONV
          -WIG
          -CIR!

Comment

Dan,

Those pictures are great! It brings back memories. In a year of great events, this one ties with Vicksburg for being the highlight of my year. I didn't think we could top the Sherman's March event we did last year. We did and it was all thanks to the diligence of several dedicated people. Great job guys and I can't wait until next year.
            Last edited by Scott Gutzke; 09-11-2007, 10:18 PM. Reason: Type-o's
            J. Thomas Atkinson

portrayed by Scott Gutzke
            [URL="http://www.sipleymess.org/"]Ol' Sipley Mess[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.oldnorthwestvols.org/"]ONV[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.risingsun115.com/"]Rising Sun Lodge #115, AF&AM of IL[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.waukeshalodge.org/"]Waukesha Lodge #37, F&AM of WI[/URL]
            [URL="http://armisteadbinghamlodge1862.blogspot.com/"]PM, Armistead-Bingham Lodge of Civil War Research #1862, F&AM of WI[/URL]

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I never before appreciated just how ugly those mustard trousers of mine are!

I promised Terry I would write a few observations about the weekend in the hopes of encouraging more folks to come out next year. Let me just say that the 6 hour drive out and 8 hour drive back from Lansing (gotta love Labor Day traffic) was well worth it, and the extra time on the drive home was spent talking about how much fun next year will be!

A few points:

-First person was maintained throughout 95% of the weekend. This was truly astounding for me, and instead of it feeling forced it came naturally because of the excellent scenario and comrades who were obviously well versed in maintaining their impressions. The time period of the weekend offered a myriad of conversations and honestly it was hard not to get emotional while recreating the last days of Lee's army.

-The comrades were first rate. These guys know how to put on a good event and spread the work around enough so that they can all actually enjoy it! Sure, there were some minor snafus but no one lost their temper and any problems were ironed out within a matter of minutes. Everyone was pulling together and making every last aspect of the event excellent. The fellows in the ranks were all excellent in their impressions and had the attitude of the soldier they were portraying.

-The site is superb! The buildings are all actually from the time period we are portraying, staffed by friendly park employees who are utterly grateful for our being there. There is a small town on the north side of the park, with five or six scattered farms throughout the rest of the grounds, with dirt roads and trails connecting them all. This gives the site endless opportunities for future events.

-The public was excellent. Not standing back and watching us from behind a chain link fence as if we were the monkey house at the zoo, but coming right up to us, asking about our kits and what we were doing, and coming up with intelligent, insightful questions.

-The battles were quick and decisive. Every one of them was fought out of necessity to the overall scenario we were portraying, and none felt forced or stilted. Out unit was fighting for its survival against overwhelming federal numbers (brought about by strictly enforced force ratios) and as a result we broke off contact with the enemy very soon after they attacked lest we be overrun and captured. There was no standing around waiting for the "lost battalion" to show up so we could start the battle.

Overall I cannot help but give this event straight A's. From start to finish the ONV put on one hell of a time, and made Brian and myself feel welcome and appreciated at every step. The site itself could easily hold full battalions of infantry and the possibilities are endless. I will be heading back to this one for many years to come.

Thank you for the wonderful time, gents!

Best,
              Dan Wambaugh
              Wambaugh, White, & Company
              www.wwandcompany.com
              517-303-3609
              Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Working...
              X