X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calm Before The Storm 18-20 Jan 08

"The Calm Before the Storm-January, 1862"
    -January 18th-20th, 2008-

January 1862, found the untried confederates of company I, 30th Tennessee at Ft.Donelson, Tennessee. Tasked with improving and securing the defenses at both Ft. Henry and Ft.Donelson, these were busy days filled with the tasks and details necessary to ready the Confederacy for the immenant offense of the Federal forces into the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers-vital arteries for both sides, and ultimatly the key to Nashville.

This is a 48 hour Immersion in which participants will portray Confederates of company I, 30th Tennessee, detailed to secure an advance picket line adjacent to the Telegraph Road, the main route of troops, supplies and communication between Forts Henry and Donelson, TN. The time frame is January, 1862.

Located adjacent to Davy Crockett State Park, near Howenwald Tennessee this pristine property is free from modern obstruction and developement and consists of 25 acres of rolling to hilly, densly forrested areas and beautiful springs and creeks. Actual site location and directions will be mailed ONLY to registered and invited participants.

This is a limited number, by invitation only, immersion event. We do this not to exclude anyone from this experience, but to guarantee a controlled and authentic enviroment for the participants, and to arrange and provide realistic logistics for everyone. Sorry, no walk-ons, anyone not pre-registered will be asked to leave. Anyone without the proper attitude will be asked to leave. this is an ego free historical moment, everyone here is a private, everyone is equal. All rations will be provided, details, duties, and assignments will be completed, however bitching is encouraged. Participants will be broken down into 4 man posts along a picket line and will be expected to improve their position, and be responsible for their assigned watch, as well as any details needed. First person, or at least period conversation is encouraged for the duration of the scenerio. Although, most of the participants will be seasoned living historians, "first timers" are welcomed. If this is your first immersion event you will be paired with a friendly, and helpful mentor, prior to the event to help make this a rewarding and non-intimidating experience for you. The staff will do our best to keep messmates together on posts, but due to numbers, this may not be possible in all situations.

Uniform Guidelines

Jackets: 1) Frockcoat, early war pattern of proper construction and material. preferrably grey, brown or "butternut" color jean.
    2) Commutation Jacket, or nondescript shell jacket of proper construction and material, early war pattern, preferrably gery, brown or "butternut" color jean.

NO COLUMBUS DEPOT JACKETS.

3) Military sack coats, early war pattern of proper construction and material. preferrably brown or "butternut" color jean.(did'nt see that one coming, did you!)
    4) civilian pattern frock or sack coat.

Trousers: period style, military or civilian trousers of proper contruction and material. -NO FEDERAL TROUSERS.

Shirts: period civilian or british Import shirt, proper material and construction.

Footwear: period civilian shoes,boots or imported English brogans. Federal brogans are allowed.

Headgear: 1) early war pattern jean Kepi or forrage cap.
    2) period civilian hats, of quality construction and period style.
    3) Pre-war militia hats.
    -NO FEDERAL Dress hats(Hardee), Federal Forrage caps or Federal Kepis.

Weapons: 1) 1842 Springfield musket with appropriate leathers and Bayonet.
    2) 1816/22 Springfieldmusket with appropriate leathers and Bayonet.
    3) Flintlocks and period percussion shotguns are allowed(no sawed offs or post-war cutdowns please).
    4) 1853 Enfields and 1861/55 Springfields are allowed if that is all that you have-the 30th Tn had not been issued Endfields yet, but we dont expect anyone to purchase a new musket, just to meet the requirements of our humble little scenerio.

Canteens:
    1)Tin drum canteen.
    2)Mexican war canteen.
    3) Wooden Gardner or Nuckolls Pattern canteen.
    4) Federal smoothside canteen(if its all you have with cover made of proper material -NO BULLSEYE CANTEENS.

Knapsacks: 1) Isaacs and Campbell English Import knapsack.
    2)Kibbler, or Mexican war single bag "knapsack".
    3) Militia "hardpack" framed Knapsack.
    4)Federal "doublebag" knapsacks are discouraged, and if used, should be of the 1853 pattern and in very limited numbers-please no 1861 patern doublebags, just carry a blanket roll.

Blankets: 1) English Import wool blanket.
    2) Period correct civilian blanket or coverlet.
    0000ff]3) Federal Issue Blankets are discouraged, unless it is all that you have-its probably going to be cold hypothermia is a buzz kill.-spooning is strongly encouraged.

Federal Shelter halves are discouraged, however this an ALL WEATHER EVENT, so they will be allowed, we would prefer that you carry a gum blanket, a painted cloth, or homemade fly.-Day's pattern poncho tents, are perfect for this scenerio.

Greatcoats/Overcoats: preferably Confederate or civilian styles, however Federal greatcoats will be allowed.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF GEAR THAT YOU CAN POSSIBLY HAVE IS A GOOD ATTITUDE, WE CAN WORK WITH ALMOST ANYTHING ELSE.

FOR INVITATION AND REGISTRATION INFORMATION PLEASE EMAIL

ELI GEERY AT RANGERNPARADISE@HOTMAIL.COM
    Last edited by plankholder; 08-11-2007, 04:01 AM. Reason: correting typos
    -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
    "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
    "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
    "The Bully Boys"
    "The Hard Case Boys"
    "The Independant Mess"
    29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
    3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Re: "The calm before the storm" picket post event-January 18-20,2008.

Sounds like an excellent event!

I'm in for it.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I like it! :D
      Bob Muehleisen
      Furious Five
      Cin, O.

Comment

All Federal slots are filled, 10 slots left for the Confederate company, thanks for all of the interest,advice and support as well as speedy responses. Anyone else that is still interested, please email me as soon as you can as there is a capped number on participants. There will be a raffle to raise money for Preservation, any proceeds as well as left over funds will be donated, in the company's name, to FT. Donelson. -Eli Geery rangernparadise@hotmail.com
        Last edited by plankholder; 08-14-2007, 01:32 AM. Reason: forgot to add something,sorry mods!
        "The Bully Boys"
        "The Hard Case Boys"
        "The Independant Mess"

Comment

See yall folks there
          [B]Steven Cone
          "The Dippin' Gourd Mess"
          <A HREF="http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/SilverSpringMess.html"><I>"Silver Spring Mess"</i></A> <br>Stones River Nat'l Battlefield Volunteer
          Living Historian and Battlefield Preservationist
          [COLOR="Blue"]ACPP ; CWPT ; BONPS ; STFB [/COLOR][/B]

[I][B]January 18-20, 2008 "The Calm Before The Storm" <br>April 19, 2008 "Fort Granger" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN"<br>June 20-22, 2008 "The Eastern Flank" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN[/I][/B]

Comment

I'll be there too!:D
            [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
            S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
            I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
            they looked so hacked, and answered back
            never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

There are only 2 Confederate slots still available, all Federal Slots have been filled. Thanks everyone for all the quick responses. -ELI GEERY
              "The Bully Boys"
              "The Hard Case Boys"
              "The Independant Mess"

Comment

Calm Before The Storm 18-20 Jan 08

Date: 18-20 January 2008
                Name: The Calm Before the Storm-January, 1862
                Sponsor/Host: Dippin' Gourd Mess
                Description: January 1862, found the untried confederates of company I, 30th Tennessee at Ft.Donelson, Tennessee. Tasked with improving and securing the defenses at both Ft. Henry and Ft.Donelson, these were busy days filled with the tasks and details necessary to ready the Confederacy for the immenant offense of the Federal forces into the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers-vital arteries for both sides, and ultimatly the key to Nashville. This is a 48 hour Immersion in which participants will portray Confederates of company I, 30th Tennessee, detailed to secure an advance picket line adjacent to the Telegraph Road, the main route of troops, supplies and communication between Forts Henry and Donelson, TN. The time frame is January, 1862.
                Capacity: One Company
                POC: Eli Geery
                Email: RANGERNPARADISE@HOTMAIL.COM
                Forum: AC Forum Thread
                Listserver: None
                Preservation Component: Donation to Fort Donelson
                Notes: Nearly fully subscribed by mid-August 2007.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Re: Calm Before The Storm 18-20 Jan 08

Thanks to everyone who has already sent in their registration. Maps and directions will go out the first of the year.-ELI GEERY
                  "The Bully Boys"
                  "The Hard Case Boys"
                  "The Independant Mess"

Comment

I have had a handfull of people who have reserved slots but have not sent in registration. I am going to open these slots up for anyone who would like them on a first come first serve basis. Anyone interested please email me at rangernparadise@hotmail.com or PM me here.-ELI GEERY
                    "The Bully Boys"
                    "The Hard Case Boys"
                    "The Independant Mess"

Comment

A $20 donation to Ft.Donelson, gets one of these abandoned slots. 100% for battlefield preservation!!!!!-ELI GEERY
                      "The Bully Boys"
                      "The Hard Case Boys"
                      "The Independant Mess"

Comment

bump...-ELI GEERY
                        "The Bully Boys"
                        "The Hard Case Boys"
                        "The Independant Mess"

Comment

Eli,
                          I had a good time at the event!:D
                          The shared hardships of extreme cold, uncertainty of if there are Federals in the area, and just having to make do with what you've got. All that brought me closer to what the life of a soldier was like in the Civil War! Great job pard...You know any event you put on, if there is any way possible I'll be the first there!
                          [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
                          S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
                          I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
                          they looked so hacked, and answered back
                          never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

Eli,

I just wanted to say that the event was the realistic that I have attended. What a great site for an event. Thanks so much!

Greg Richardson
                            Bitter Brothers Mess

Comment

Thanks for the kind words fellas, It was an honor to surround my self with Living Historians, of such caliber. I dont think a finer representation of the Confederates at fort Donelson, has ever been fielded. The fact that so many were willing to brave such harsh elements(as harsh as it ever gets in TN!), is a testiment to each individuals dedication. Thanks everyone for coming out there, look for a more temperate mid war tactical later in the year.
                              "The Bully Boys"
                              "The Hard Case Boys"
                              "The Independant Mess"

Comment

Working...
                              X