Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Athens 1-3 August 08

Holler,
    Does this mean I can get a detail for pot scubbin?
    Terry Sorchy

Comment

I hate to poke at the embers of a just-cooled fire, but I was at work during the whole "S" brouhaha. I believe that Hairy Nation Boys was trying to point out that while Athens had some (presumably) successful businessmen, it is likely that there were very few who were so wealthy as to provide the opportunity to hire servants or own slaves. Barring this, all family members would have had to have been productive around the home, to some degree. A representative of the park asked us to spread the word on this subject when we were at Athens last weekend, so HNB was simply helping this person out. I assure you, no offense was intended by this person, or by the luckless messenger.
      The good news is, it sounds (from Silvanna and others) like this was already accounted for! I'm sure we'll see some fantastic impressions, from Home Guardsmen, State Guardsmen, and citizens alike.
      Oh, and by the way-- Kuh-HOE-kuh. Which is south of Athens- so if you Green men don't want to look foolish- don't yell at Captain Jackson's Kahoka Home Guard to "Go back to the North!"
      Last edited by Arch Campbell; 05-21-2008, 09:35 AM. Reason: was merely referring to the term, not endorsing it.
      Arch Campbell
      Hairy Nation
      Loyal Union League
      Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Silvana,

Are there many men making the trip as civilians? I would be interested in hearing some of there impressions.

Jason
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
        Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
        Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

Terry Sorchy is the only one that I know of at this time. Normally we need as many men as possible to fill the two Home Guard companies and the State Guard. Plus, we are all citizens even if in the militia. :)

We would welcome as many men who would like to portray citizens of Athens. Do work repairing fences, clearing timber, etc.
          Nathan Hellwig
          AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Indeed the Home Guard needs as many men to fill the ranks as possible. But we also need some men to be citizens of the town. To many times we portray a town setting and most of the citizens are women. If any men who feel they might be to old for military service or just want to flesh out the citizens ranks, please do so.
            There are many activities that can be done.
            I know that if Nancy and I are cooking for 150 people that we will be in need of some assistence.
            Also things like tools, cooking vessels, tables and chairs will be in short supply. Anything you might have will be appreciated.
            Splitting wood, repairing fences, being general rural laborers are a must for the portrayal.
            Be creative, we have a listing of occupations for the town.
            Cheers
            Terry Sorchy

Comment

I have four gentlemen pre-registered as town residents; once again, I would like to reassure all that the impressions are being carefully researched and will be accurate to the time and place. One of these men is a photographer, one is coming as a subsistance farmer, one will be Jabez Harrison, and the fourth will be doing a middle class impression. As I understand it, only one of these gentlemen(the farmer) is planning to participate in the battle. For various reasons, which I'll leave to the gents themselves to describe, the other three will not.

Terry, you won't have to do that much cooking. The friends of Athens and the park rangers will be supplying a great deal of food to all participants, so I don't think you really have to go all out. At this time, all the civilians have chosen specific roles, including working in the vegetable gardens, doing laundry, working as seamstresses and other fiber crafts, working in the mercantile, coping with chickens and fiddles, etc etc., so it may be difficult to draft them to cook in the summer kitchen, but depending on your powers of persuasion, you may be able to sweet-talk them. :wink_smil

As Anna said, this is a wonderful and unique opportunity. The battle raged in and around the town, and we have been given permission to occupy the extant buildings and re-live that experience. Everyone's been working hard for nearly a year to put together the most authentic and realistic impressions possible, so what you'll see and experience is a wartime Missouri town caught up in a battle in its midst. Don't miss it!
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
              [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
              [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

You are correct Silvana, I think that quite a bit of the foodstuffs they will be giving us are raw foodstuffs and will needed to be made into something. Depending on how many fires and cooking areas the townswomen have it may be fortuitus for them to supp at the Inn.:p
                Cheers:D
                Terry Sorchy

Comment

Terry,

As we spoke last night I will send the menu. I gave the list to Jo last Friday and Roger told me he would buy the foodstuff.
                  Nathan Hellwig
                  "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

What are the requirements fo the home guard? I just have not read anything on them yet.
                    Thomas J. Alleman
                    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

If you are with the Kahoka HomeGuard e-mail me. headlog@gmail.com
                      Nathan Hellwig

Comment

Tom,
                        Come on down and join us at Athens!
                        If you remember, I shared a cabin with you at TWTMA.
                        On behalf of the Hairy Nation, I invite you and your Southern Michigan boys to fall in with the Kahoka Home Guard.
                        Mark Warren
                        Hairy Nation Boys
                        Bloomfield, Iowa
                        Attached Files
                        [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
                        "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
                        Mark Warren
                        Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

FYI, registration packet and forms moved to http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...252#post108252. They had gotten buried in this thread and it exceeded my posting limit to post them in multiple locations.
                          Charles D. Hoskins
                          [URL="http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com"]http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com[/URL]
                          [URL="http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/"]http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/[/URL]
                          Member, Company of Military Historians
                          Member, CWPT
                          Washington Historical Society
                          Board Member, MCWRA

Comment

If you have been invited to join the Kakoka Home Guard make sure you write on the registration form "Kahoka Home Guard".

Charles, most of the Nation has not registered yet as we are setting our sights on a place in Georgia.
                            Nathan Hellwig

Comment

MSG Fellows- I know I have chatted with several of you about registering. Now is the time, do not hesitate to do so. The link to all the info is here: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...252#post108252

As always send me a message if you need anything.
                              Mitchell L Critel
                              Wide Awake Groupie
                              Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

I''m totally confused as to where to place this, but I need to reach Arch Campbell ...
                                I would like for him to please send me a PM as soon as he could .
                                Thanks
                                Vivian Murphy

Comment

Working...
                                X