Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Athens 1-3 August 08

Pards,
    I was at Athens earlier today talking with Park Superintendent Roger Boyd. This will be his last Athens Living History Celebration, as he is retiring Oct. 1 of this year.
    The whole place looks great, and we're counting on the best time ever.
    Mark Warren
    Hairy Nation (Kahoka Home Guard)
    [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
    "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
    Mark Warren
    Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

When I see Roger in a couple of weeks I intend to thank him profusely for all he has done in his tenure at Athens, both for the park itself and its preservation and improvements (it's come a long way since he arrived,) as well as for us as living historians who interpret there.

In that second category, Roger deserves special recognition for his courageous (and locally unpopular, at first) stand in allowing high standards and attendance restrictions to be put in place for the battle years, starting in 2002. If you don't know to what I refer, ask anyone who was in attendance in 1999 and earlier battle years. The improvement is drastic.
      Arch Campbell
      Hairy Nation
      Loyal Union League
      Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

As the time to the event grows shorter, and I get more things together, (like my beeswax lined gourd canteen--it held almost a quart of water for 3 days without a lick of water coming out of it--although I blistered my thumb making it, heh) I'm getting pretty jazzed-up about this event.

The excitement brought on by thinking about it this morning made me do a happy-dance to burn off the excess energy and make this post. :)
        Ron Mueller
        Illinois
        New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
        Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
        Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Roger is one of my colleagues - we started in Missouri State Parks the same year. I have always enjoyed his company. I am in another district now so I don't see him much anymore and wasn't aware he had actually set a retirement date - he's been talking about it for several years. I look forward to seeing him at the event. He's a good fellow.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Anyone interested in car pooling up to Athens from the Kansas City, Missouri area. I am driving my nissan pickup and have room for 1 passenger. Truck has a locking hard cover to keep stuff secure. I have friday off and planning to leave sometime in the morning.
            PM me or e-mail if you are interested. tothetop62@comcast.net
            David Hardman
            from the great State of Missouri

Comment

Will there be any sutlers at Athens?
              If so who are they and contact info would be nice. There are a few items I may be interested in if they have them.
              Thanks
              David Hardman
              from the great State of Missouri

Comment

Did the pig farm ever go in? I wanna swim in ther river!
                T.J. Bruegger
                [B][FONT="System"]Tater Mess[/FONT][/B]

"That's right dude, the beauty of this is it's simplicity; once a plan gets too complex, everything can go wrong. If there's one thing I learned in Nam..." Walter Sobchak 1991

Comment

The Des Moines is running very high right now. May not be the best for a dip.

When we were at Athens in May the hog farm didn't even come up.
                  Nathan Hellwig
                  AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                  "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Weather Forecast for Athens Missouri...

Mid 90's and sunny. Sounds like a typical Athens weather pattern. Drink plenty of water before you get there friday(or thursday for some)... and Prepare to be forced to drink water as well.

It should be a good event even with the weather. When you all get there go to registration, and check in. If you need to talk to me, I should be around registration for the majority of Friday.

The Friday night site is across from the parking lot, near to where we advance out of for the battle. We will be under passes to get out of camp, and pickets will be posted. There really isn't a lot around Athens, so leaving to the local bar really isn't an option!

See all you Fellas Friday or Saturday!
                    Mitchell L Critel
                    Wide Awake Groupie
                    Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

• Re: Athens 1-3 August 08

Site Update.

I've been contacted by a couple of people who looked on the park website and saw that the campground is closed. This does NOT, repeat NOT affect the historic site. There was a big storm that went through on Sunday night that down a lot of trees. Folks came in from other parks and are working to get it all cleaned up, but it will NOT affect the event. As Mitch noted, the weather for this weekend looks great. Have a safe trip and we look forward to seeing you at Athens 2008. Now, back to sharpening my bayonet...
                      Charles D. Hoskins
                      [URL="http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com"]http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com[/URL]
                      [URL="http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/"]http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/[/URL]
                      Member, Company of Military Historians
                      Member, CWPT
                      Washington Historical Society
                      Board Member, MCWRA

Comment

Excellent news! Anyway, the Masonic Gathering will take place at 7:00 pm near the Townsend Gray House. Since the area flooded around the Window Gray's House and that area is contamenated, we have changed venues.

Oh, and Charles..stop sharpening that bayonet please lol!
                        Michael A. Kupsch, 32°
                        Grand Junior Warden, Grand Lodge of Kansas AF & AM
                        Past Master Wyandotte Lodge #03

[email]tatermess_mike@yahoo.com[/email]
                        The Tater Mess
                        The Widow's Son Mess
                        WIG's
                        [url]http://members.tripod.com/the_tater_mess/[/url]

Comment

I hope my shotgun and various other traps I sold made it to Athens this year, as sadly, I cannot.
                          Jack Cox
                          Olathe Union Guard (Retired)
                          [I]Held Prisoner in Hampton Roads[/I]

Comment

I got home a short while ago. As always, it's good to see friends (or meet new friends) in the field. I enjoyed myself, got to hear Jake Wickham's views on the world, was fed well, and can say I lived through "the Thunderstorm Scare of 1861." I'll be back next time, as this is the closest battlefield to my home.
                            Andy Ackeret
                            A/C Staff
                            Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Working...
                            X