Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Death March #10 Summer 2008

Neil,

Coming off an event where the scheduling and mapping were pretty tight, it's a real shift in mindset to move from that environment to one where the event is not a confined field and posted time operation, and participants generally walk in the daytime, sleep mostly in the night time, and find themselves exhausted come Sunday morning. Other than that, pretty much anything can happen. Considering how fuel prices are quenching a good number of folks' thirst for long distance travel these days, we may see more folks within the region finally getting around to trying this type of event.

Doug has this habit of finding hills that generally only go up, and up some more, and then up a bit more. Ask Grumpy Dave to verify this peculiarity along the NY/PA border.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

If you've never attended this event, it's one you should consider. The folks who put this together each year do yeoman's work to give the participants a great and authentic experience. The location isn't a big travel deal from NY, NJ, OH, MD, VA and of course Pennsyltuckey. I'm only sorry the maker of the "Grumpy" family schedule has placed our family vacation over this event. Sign up and go, you won't be disapointed, or, rained on.
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
      Past President Potomac Legion
      Long time member Columbia Rifles
      Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Grumpy,

Yep. This long running series of events is one of those gems that hasn't been discovered by the hobby at large. You'll be missed, but your cursed rainfall won't be missed at all, or is that your rainfall curse? Either way!!!

The listserver is now active, and the initial message (concerning the enjoyable joint site visit a couple of weeks ago) was posted today.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Doug and Terry want to see you there!
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
          Past President Potomac Legion
          Long time member Columbia Rifles
          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Grumpy,

Oddly enough, the vagaries of thunderstorms and trees on train tracks allowed the US commander, CS commander, and civilian coordinator to enjoy a site visit to the original battlefield a couple of weeks ago. The Friends of Cedar Mountain Battlefield and CWPT have done a fine job down that way, and seeing the site of the Widow Crittenden's home is a working farm as opposed to yet another residential development or strip shopping center, is uplifting. Darn glad to see wheat ready to be harvested, in fact.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

I'm glad to say my registration went in today. See you folks in the field.
              Robert Carter
              69th NYSV, Co. A
              justrobnj@gmail.com
              www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

How is the registration looking for this one?
                Matt Lovejoy

Comment

Originally posted by MLovejoy View Post
                  How is the registration looking for this one?
                  From the registration list Doug released today, the number of 2008 "Crittenden's Farm" registrants just may beat the 2006 "Retreat From Fisher's Hill" event. Of course, these events have never been about numbers. ;)

See you in the field, by the ford, through the stream, next to the old sawmill site....
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

This is a very good event within easy access to most of the northeast and mid-Atlantic. I've been to it two years in a row now and had a great time both years. If you like some marching and pretty much non-stop skirmish action and some surprises (no, I don't know what they are this year), then you should really make an effort to come to this one.

Neil Randolph
                    1st WV

Comment

Originally posted by nrandolph View Post
                      This is a very good event within easy access to most of the northeast and mid-Atlantic. I've been to it two years in a row now and had a great time both years.
                      Neil,

As the window for registration closes in a few days, the traffic on the event listserver will pick up quite a bit. I'm looking for a few fellows to round out Co. H, 13th Virginia, and they can find their registration form and information in the files section here: Crittenden's Farm 22-24 August 2008

If someone can't find the registration form, then I can send you an attachment by email. Jjust send me an IM or email me at:

heath9999@aol.com

Although this event won't feature a one-day 42-mile jaunt down Virginia railroad tracks, nor will it have the thrill of a 36-mile dawn-to-dusk hike over three of Kentucky's finest hillocks, and I know how broke down disappointed you are in all that, but the strapping young boys of Company H aka the "Winchester Boomerangs" will likely have wet feet, soggy shirts, soaked drawers (for those fancy pants who wear such) and sore toes. In looking at the average (mean) age of the registrants thus far, our "young boys" average about 45 years of age, so that tells you something about who in the NY, PA, & MD, area likes to get their campaigner mojo going outside of skinner row. 'Nuf said, except to say if Bill "Sticky" O'Dea finally registers, the average age will increase to about 105.

Several fellows have asked about the quaintness of the town of New Albany, PA (please do not go to Indiana looking for this event, or you shall be disappointed, but the land is a bit flatter, just a bit) using the well known Vermont "QT Index." This isn't Vermont, but the town has more amenities than Burkittsville, less stop signs than McDowell, lacks the world class (and coma inducing) Amish Bake Sale of Mespotamia, it doesn't have the tunnel of Tunnel Hill, nor the salt water of Cape May, nor does it have the fabulous mummies of Philippi. The good news is New Albany actually has a gas station. It may have a bank, but I'm not so sure if that bank will have an ATM. The gas station does.

Who have we duped, conned, er, uh, um, recruited to wear gray in the midst of Pennsyltucky?

Co. H, 13th Virginia

Averill, Marc Gazelle
                      Bills, Tim Jaguar
                      Bordonaro, Joe Mercury
                      Boulden, Paul Hare
                      Berndt, David Hermes
                      Carter, Robert Greyhound
                      Deese, Gregory Impala
                      Heath, Charles Turtle
                      Hoffmier, Eric Whippet
                      Krahling, Dan Fox
                      Phillips, Thomas Coyote
                      Rainey, Paul Lion
                      Renault, Greg Wildabeast
                      Ryan, Colin Elk
                      Ryan, Mike Antelope
                      Zulinke, David Roadrunner

Hot damn, we almost have enough for a firewood detail!

This is a good event to travel light. Make sure you have a sharp knife, and leave the living history geegaws at home, as they will likely get ruined.

People ask about rations. Keep asking. We won't know until we get them, but considering where we are and what we'll be doing there is a good chance for some corn in your future. Yes, that would be corn and corn by-products, and most likely field corn at that. Odds are we may have some corn meal in need of a good sifting, and with fresh corn shucks available and abundant, this will be good reading:

Scott McKay's Legendary Contribution to Corn Culinary Excellence

A Pennsyltucky freshwater fishing license discretely hidden in that period wallet, along with a furnished line may provide for a relatively tasty meal Friday evening -- if you can find bait. Unfortunately, and this does border on tragic, we will not be able to retain possession of the large stock pond Saturday.

I'm enjoying Rigg's regimental, and really ought to pick up a copy of Buck's book, as well as this happy little journal edited by Swank.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Charles,

I take it “Food Network” will solicit those of us who survive for the best corn recipe (fried corn, boiled corn, corn soup, corn chowda…)?

Actually, I just finished Buck’s book and it was full of information and a very enjoyable read over all. Not a sleeper battle history at all, it holds your interest right through.

Gazelle? I’m not that graceful…

Y.O.S.,
                        [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
                        Dirigo Grays
                        CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
                        Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Mark-

You going to Death March? I'll go only if I have a carpool going... gas is killing me travelling to these events- all of us actually... -Johnny
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny,

Send up a flare over on the New England Campaigners listserver. A few of the NH fellows may be making the trek down, and maybe a couple of others are looking to carpool to save a few bucks. With the loss of the Tarbox property for Tom's event, some of those other lads may be looking for something to do in August. That once busy list has been dead quiet for a while.

Marc,

Feel free to transcribe a few of the more things from early August 1862 out of Buck's book, and post them on the listserver. After talking with Terri this morning, you fellers may be sick of corn before all is said and done. Speaking of event listservers, I need to toss out a couple of things today.

As much as I'd hate to jinx things this late in the game -- I hope y'all like hosses and wagons.
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Johnny,

Yes, I am - first quality event that has had the sun/moon/stars + reasonable distance line up for me. Next year’s event forecast is looking hot, dry and sandy; so I need a good "fix".

Was getting ready to send out a message on the NE Campaigners Board, so this could work. Tried to get a few other guys I know locally to go, but no bites so far.

If you decide to go, we could work something out.

Charles – I'll try to do that.

Kindest regards,
                              [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
                              Dirigo Grays
                              CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
                              Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Roger that... I'll get back to you. The only way I'll go is a carpool. You doing CS? I'd like to do CS there- had enough blue for a year... LOL :p- Johnny
                                Johnny Lloyd
                                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                                SCAR
                                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                                X