Bristoe Station 10-12 October 08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bristoe Station 10-12 October 08

Gang - as summer wanes its time to stand up and be counted for at this event. The preservation victory at Bristoe deserves our best efforts for the 145th Anniversary of this brutal battle on the railroad. Jerry Stiles and James Owens know their stuff so lets get behind them.

Check out the website and the cool overhead photos of the core portion of this fight that was saved. The event features marching, picketing and fighting that follows the routes and the action on Oct 14, 1863. The airlines aren't making it easy for me but I will be there. October in Virginia - does not get much better than that.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I wish i could participate in this event as My GG Grandfather was wounded with the 145th PA.
      Joshua Schweickhardt

Comment

An account of the 27th NC at Bristoe Station has been posted in the History section.

Gerald Todd
        1st Maine Cavalry
        Eos stupra si jocum nesciunt accipere.

Comment

In addition to the fine article just posted on the website, here's another that I've attached. It'll open in MS word.
          Attached Files
          Phil Maddox
          Hedgesville Blues
          "He playeth 'eucre' with the parson, whether there shall be preaching in camp on the Sabbath, and by dexterously turning jack from the bottom of the pack, postponeth the service." - Camp of the "Turned-Over and Used-Ups," Sept. 27, 1862.

Comment

I am with Doug Cooper on this one.

This is a worthy event not to be missed. It is going to have a little bit of everything.

Preservation, marching, fighting and a public demo!

I know my group the Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums as well as the Stonewall Brigade will be there in numbers.

Don't read the After Action Reports.... Come to the event and write your own!

Gas prices have dropped. Average is about 3.39 in Virginia. It would be great to see some of our western friends for this quality event.

I have been looking forward to this event all year. If you are looking for one more good event to attend this year I highly recommend Bristoe Station Oct 10-12

See you all there!
            Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
            Stonewall Brigade

Comment

There is some 27 NC material posted in: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/group.php?groupid=44

B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Hey Guys,
                Just a reminder that the registration fee goes up on September 14th....Jerry Stiles

Comment

GENERAL ORDERS,} HDQRS. ARMY OF THE POTOMAC, Numbers 96. } October 15, 1863.

The major-general commanding announces to the army that the rear guard, consisting of the Second Corps, was attacked yesterday while marching by the flank.

The enemy, after a spirited contest, was repulsed, losing 2 colors, a battery of 5 guns, and 450 prisoners.

The skill and promptitude of Major-General Warren, and the gallantry and bearing of the officers and soldiers of the Second Corps, are entitled to high commendation.

By command of Major-General Meade:

S. WILLIAMS,
                  Assistant Adjutant-General.
                  __________________________________________________ _____________
                  HEADQUARTERS SECOND ARMY CORPS,
                  Near Blackburn's Ford, Va., October 16, 1863.

Brigadier General S. WILLIAMS,
                  Assistant Adjutant-General:

GENERAL: I beg leave to inform the general commanding that his order expressing his approval of the conduct of this corps on the 14th instant is received with enthusiasm by officers and men. If I may speak for the corps, I will say that it is satisfied if it received no other praise than his, and is ready to perform its part of the plans of the commanding general in the future, as has done in the past.

I have the honor to be, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

G. K. WARREN,
                  Major-General, Commanding.
                  __________________________________________________ _____________
                  Numbers 45. Report of Brigadier General Alexander Hays, U. S. Army, commanding Third Division.

AUBURN, FAUQUIER COUNTY, VA.,
                  October 22, 1863.

SIR: I have the honor, according to instructions, to forward this report of the operations of the Third Division, Second Army Corps, during the day of the 14th:
                  The division, excepting the first brigade, which had been retained as guard to train, marched from bivouac at daybreak. Crossing the stream at Auburn, it was directed to take the road to Catlett's Station, on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. Here the march was opposed by the rebels in such force as to render precautions necessary. A light skirmish line was thrown forward, but was soon repulsed by the rebel cavalry. The entire regiment of the One hundred and twenty-sixth New York Volunteers, commanded by Lieutenant Colonel J. M. Bull, was then moved forward, supported by the Twelfth New Jersey Volunteers. In a short time our force came in conflict with the rebels. It was short, but very decisive. The rebel cavalry led by Colonel Thomas Ruffin, charged furiously upon the deployed One hundred and twenty-sixth and were most gallantly repulsed, with the loss of their leader, who was mortally wounded.

Our march from this point past Catlett's Station and along the railroad was not interrupted until we arrived at Bristoe Station. It was there announced that the rebels were advancing in line of battle to attack our flank. As soon as possible the successive brigades of the division were put in rapid motion and flanked to meet the rebel line. The contest was for possession of the line of railroad, which afforded a strong defense. We gained it and met the rebels with a withering fire of musketry, while our artillery played upon them from our rear. The results of our victory are marked by 2 stand of colors and the possession of 5 pieces of artillery which the rebels left behind.

General Webb's, the Second Division, occupied our right, while General Caldwell's, the First Division, held the position on our left. Colonel Carroll, commanding the First Brigade of the Third Division, also arrived from the rear, and took position on the extreme left of the line of battle.

After the first repulse of the rebels, the Second Brigade of the Third Division, commanded by Colonel Smyth, advanced through the dense grove of pines in advance of the left of the division, and approached the point of attack. In the meantime a line of skirmishers, commanded by Colonel C. D. MacDougall, One hundred and eleventh Regiment New York Volunteers, detailed from regiments, brigades, and divisions, without distinction, advanced to the wood and withdrew the artillery captured. A second attack was attempted, but was repulsed by our artillery, without the aid of infantry.

I respectfully refer to the accompanying reports of my brigade commanders for full particulars, Brigadier General J. T. Owen, commanding Third Brigade; Colonel S. S. Carroll, commanding First Brigade, and Colonel T. A. Smith, commanding Second Brigade. To them and to their subordinate officers and men is due the credit of our almost perfect success.

To my personal staff, Asst. Adjt. General G. P. Corts; aides Lieuts. D. Shields and J. S. Sullivan; Lieutenant W. E. Potter, ordnance officer, and Captain J. C. Lynch, division inspector, I feel deeply indebted for their effective assistance in the attack and on all other occasions.

I inclose herewith the nominal lists of the killed, wounded, and missing, also a general summary of the same, showing the loss of the division to be 1 commissioned officer killed and 11 wounded; 19 enlisted men killed, 133 wounded, and 35 missing; total loss, 199.*
                  Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

ALEX. HAYS,
                  Brigadier-General of Volunteers, Commanding Division.

Lieutenant Colonel FRANCIS A. WALKER,
                  Assistant Adjutant-General.
                  Phil Maddox
                  Hedgesville Blues
                  "He playeth 'eucre' with the parson, whether there shall be preaching in camp on the Sabbath, and by dexterously turning jack from the bottom of the pack, postponeth the service." - Camp of the "Turned-Over and Used-Ups," Sept. 27, 1862.

Comment

Bristoe Station
                    Registration

* Federal: $25 through October 1, 2008
                    * $40 after October 1st and On-site
                    * Confederate: $25 through September 13th
                    * CS Registration is CLOSED September 14th.
                    Gerald Todd
                    1st Maine Cavalry
                    Eos stupra si jocum nesciunt accipere.

Comment

Looks like the weather gods are smiling on this event this weekend. Good luck and good times to one and all.

Sniff. Sniff. Can't recall the last time I had to miss a battalion event.

Sigh.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Man, this sucks. Just got off'n work. Don't know whether to take a quick shower and try to make it to Bristoe's or not. Something on the website said registration will be open for a couple of hours tomorrow morning, so maybe. Danged it. So tired... Stupid sawmills...

Billy Birney
                        William Birney
                        Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                        Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Bill,

Here's the good news. You get to play next weekend.

At least, that's what I kept telling the voices in my head as I hammered down on the last of extended individual tax returns instead of jumping in the van with only a bone toothbrush and a ragged dress and heading to Perryville.

You know, I could be there by breakfast............
                          Terre Hood Biederman
                          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Anyone got an AAR?
                            Brad Ireland
                            Old Line Mess
                            4th VA CO. A
                            SWB

Comment

Thanks again for attending the 145th Bristoe Station event. Here's a few pics for ya.
                              Attached Files
                              Phil Maddox
                              Hedgesville Blues

Comment

That was one event that I'm sorry I missed and it looked like a great time was had by all of those that went. It seems as of late that Bristoe is finally getting some recognition that it rightly deserves after all these years. Until recently the North Carolinians that were killed there were forgotten about, but I have noticed that there have been articles on the Battle of Bristoe Station appearing.

Thomas Mathis

Comment

Working...
                                X