C/P/H Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C/P/H Nationals

Having taken some time away from you fine folks, and this hobby, and having been one of the guys before that used to attend fine events, I can't help but notice just how many C/P/H events there really are on the schedule already for 2008.

I've had a sneak peek at Charles' 2008 list and I bet it'll be up to 20-25 events before all the dust settles.

If there are 1000 of us, and 450 that actually attend events (and I'm guilty of that myself, at least until Outpost this fall), that sure seems like a lot of events to be vying for the attentions of 450 reenactors.

Could we focus on one or two as the highest priority, highest tier events... perhaps one East and one West... can it be done?

Lord knows nothing I've said here is new information but I'm just wondering.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Re: C/P/H Nationals

Paul,

To help you get back in the swing of things, there is a meeting every December. It takes place around the Nashville Civil War Show (largest Civil War show on earth) on the first Saturday of December. The WIG sets it up. A number of representatives of messes, WIG, GHTI, etc. are there, usually about 50-70 people representing about 250-300. We decide at least among the midwest messes and southern messes, which 2-3 events will be max attendance for the next year. Occasionally there will be some representation from the C/P/H community in the east. You need to come with the other GHTI messes.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Justin already has me a spot on the bus - yep, planning to be there.
      Paul Calloway
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Matt, et al...

I would be interested in attending, as I have never been to the Nashville show. I could fly into Nashville no poblem, but would be interested in where you all are staying, and perhaps splitting a room with someone for friday and saturday night. Better to spend the time socially with like-mided folks than trying to do everything solo.

If you could help me out with info regarding accomodations, I would be greatful.

Respects,
        Tim Kindred
        Medical Mess
        Solar Star Lodge #14
        Bath, Maine

Comment

Tim,

I'm a local as are a number of others. It's a 20-25 minute drive to the hotel from the show, but Art Milbert is the GM and worked a deal for 20+ guys last year that were from out of town. If you want something downtown, in Franklin, etc. let me know and I can make a recemmendation. Otherwise, contact Art as we'll be doing this again.
          Matt Woodburn
          Retired Big Bug
          WIG/GHTI
          Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
          "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Mr. Kindred,

The WIGs own, Art Milbert is the general manager for one of our Holiday Inns here in Nashville, and if contacted, he can help coordinate a room for you, etc. Additionally, there are always a number of folks who come form out of town. Advance coordination on these forums would most likely net a few fellas who'd be willing to share a room with you.
            Brian Hicks
            Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Natt,

Thanks. I still have to run this by "she who must be obeyed" but it seems doable.

Respects,
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

Ooh, I'll be contacting Art. I've got some Priority Club reward points that need to be burned.
                Paul Calloway
                Proud Member of the GHTI
                Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

[QUOTE=Matt Woodburn;67544]Paul,

To help you get back in the swing of things, there is a meeting every December. It takes place around the Nashville Civil War Show (largest Civil War show on earth) on the first Saturday of December.

Matt could you send me some more information on this Civil War Show? I would like to attend this year. I have heard good things about this.

PLPX3@yahoo.com

Thank You
                  [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
                    To help you get back in the swing of things, there is a meeting every December. It takes place around the Nashville Civil War Show (largest Civil War show on earth) on the first Saturday of December. The WIG sets it up. A number of representatives of messes, WIG, GHTI, etc. are there, usually about 50-70 people representing about 250-300. We decide at least among the midwest messes and southern messes, which 2-3 events will be max attendance for the next year. Occasionally there will be some representation from the C/P/H community in the east.
                    Without a doubt, this is a fun and productive meeting. While primarily the WIG annual business meeting, the impact on our side of the hobby is tremendous, since generally 2 to 3 events on the list each year are spawned at this confab. I've been to 3 of the last 4, as a WIG member and nominally as the Potomac Legion Foreign Observer (from this side of the big scary mountains) and although the meeting space at the downtown pub was getting tight, the conviviality, camaraderie, and good eats are hard to beat. I do wish we could look down the road another 18-24 months in addition to the immediate season, but maybe one day that will happen.

Tim, you'll enjoy the show, which is better than Richmond, lower priced than Chantilly, and Art's airport shuttle is first rate. A must see is the Gene Simmons as Nathan Bedford Forrest statue along the interstate. One of these days, I'll drag my lazy butt to the Mansfield CW show.

Darn, it's almost 2008 already.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by paulcalloway View Post

Could we focus on one or two as the highest priority, highest tier events... perhaps one East and one West... can it be done?
                      I know it is probably a little premature, but was curious when you say "one East and one West", are you talking ANV and AoT/Trans Miss or are you referring to location like one east of the Mississippi and one west of the Mississippi?

There are a lot of guys on the west side from Arizona, California, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana that we should keep in mind. And although, it has been mostly the Texas Gound Hornets putting on the events going back to 2004, There have been some excellent events on the West side of the Mississippi recently, but folks east of the Mississippi have regretably missed out and not made the effort to support them.

Maybe this idea of yours can change all that. I'd certainly like to see it and the optimist in me believes this is a positive step.

I guess what I am driving at or the reason for my question is..... we have a lot of events in Tennessee which are usually put together by the WIG's. If this is where the "West" event was to be it won't be a whole lot different than any other year with multiple TN events and ignoring there was a lot of fighting west of the Mississippi. And maybe more so, asking folks on the west side of the Mississippi to always drive to support the events on the east side multiple times each year, but almost never receiving reciprocation. We are in this hobby together and should be helping each other out, rather than looking for reasons not to. It would require commitments at the personal and mess levels.

Anyway, I really like your idea and it is a shame we couldn't have had something like BGR be that event this year. Keep the ideas coming.

Best Regards
                      Jay Stevens
                      Tater Mess
                      Independent Volunteers
                      Iron Man Mess
                      Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                      Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                      Lost Tribes, October 2009
                      Bummers, November 2009
                      Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                      The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                      In the Van, August 2010
                      Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X