Fort Moultrie LH Dec. 12-14, 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fort Moultrie LH Dec. 12-14, 2008

Hopefully with the 2009 Ft. Moultrie in late May, we can support Ft. McAllister in December. I hope to have a large pool of Georgia-South Carolina Militia that can be called upon. I also would like more Federals to turn out. I will have some further research to post on the Tramp Brigade website next week, relating to the SC Militia and Fort Moultrie, it will be interesting to read.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

We have decided to play a little game of Rounders on Sunday at the Moultrie Event. This is not a sideshow and we are looking for competition. I play to win, and I hope everyone else does also. The Federal fellows have not a chance agains the South Carolinians...
      [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
      [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Greg:

You've got me. When you state donation, there is no fixed fee? May I send a PayPal or do I send the funds directly to the SCCRR?

Looking forward to a Low Country December...
        Ley Watson
        POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by ley74 View Post
          Looking forward to a Low Country December...
          Ley,

We'll have the welcome mat rolled out for you and return the favor after the great Glendale/Malvern Hill you all pulled off up in Ole Virginia.

Thanks for having a ramrod I could borrow. If the opportunity presents itself, I owe you a pint or two at Poe's Tavern...
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Ley,

If there is a cover fee, I will inform you first, but with less than 50 people involved for this year, it's more of a "being there" kind of event with minimal expenses. I am glad to have your support, and I appreciate your help at Glendale-Malvern Hill. We will take donations for the South Carolina Battlefield preservation and we will have a high stakes poker game for the CWPT Saturday night.

We really need support from campaigners outside our state.
            Gregory Deese

"How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Originally posted by ley74 View Post
              Looking forward to a Low Country December....
              Ley,

Are you going aerial or surface transportation by way of Orange County?

If the latter, and that gas sipping car of yours can hold two more bodies from Maryland, then there may be the seedcord for the start of another Event Roadtrip Carpool of Glory. It won't be as lively as the Vicksburg NPS LH roadtrip with Harry Canoli as the "Beerfinder of the Interstate," but one never knows. *

Heck, even Phil Campbell may be interested in this one. Stay tuned.

*With apologies to Matthew Fontaine Maury
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I spoke with the Lead Ranger today and the event is still on. We won't have to outlay any huge sums of collateral or charge any high registration fees. We could take up a small gratuity for incidental expenses through donations on the site. We will enjoy the full support of the staff. I am going to cap the December event at 65, because of the short notice. That will translate to 25 Federals, 25 SC Militia and roughly 15 Citizens, I would like an answer by August 15. We have around 38 interested so far. This is a rare opportunity to practice your pre-war impressions and gain some background experience.

I am looking at 120 for the May 2009 iteration. 60 Federals, 40 Militia, and 20 Citizens. If you can't attend 1858, then register for 1859/60. Those supporting the pre-events, will get preference for the 2011, 150th Anniversary. It's really looking excellent. I will be moving to North Charleston next month, so I will have more opportunities to promote and support the event.

Thanks to everyone so far that has supported this, we will certainly return the favor.
                Gregory Deese

Comment

Boy it's going to be a loooonnnngggggg drive!

Comment

But the long drive will be worth getting to shoot Deese out of a cannon! :tounge_sm

All in all Moultrie is nice in December.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

I'm sure that the event will be worth the drive. However I may arrive missing one arm and one leg as they will be floating in my gas tank!

Comment

Charles:

Casa de Watson is open for business. Surface transportation and my car knows the way (Kershaw County is kind of like going through Orange here in Virginia). Only kidding... As always, the company more than offsets the cost of gas.

The last piece of equipment is in and will be installed on my frock as soon as the CR Newsletter is out the door. It will require the removal of the only officer rank I have ever held. Aw shucks, we sure had fun.

With no Winter of '64 I need something to get me into trouble.
                        Ley Watson

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

I am already planning my trip to view this event in DEC. I love the Charleston Harbor Fort(s). I spent a week last Dec on an intensive history based visit of the area. I got to do little mainstream-ish (my lane) LH whilst I was there.

I am going up to spectate Westville / Sparks of Seccession in Oct
                          then Ft Moultrie in Dec to finish out my 2008 authentic-spectating season.

Looks like a pre-war 4th Qtr 08 for certain sure

Woohoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                            Ley,
                            It won't be as lively as the Vicksburg NPS LH roadtrip with Harry Canoli as the "Beerfinder of the Interstate," but one never knows. *

*With apologies to Matthew Fontaine Maury
                            Since there are certain things one cannot purchase in the south on Sunday, I am making provision this time.:D
                            Ley Watson

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Specialty Roles Available

Looking for a trip to Charleston? Want to wear your Federal Officer Kit? Perhaps even a Dragoon Officer Kit? Well, register now for the 1858 Fort Moultrie Living History. We are currently accepting registrations for people who wish to participate in any and all roles. Brian Hicks will command the Federal garrison, and we are looking for a person to fill the role of militia captain. We have positions available in the 1st US Artillery (for both infantry soldier and artillery), a South Carolina beat militia, and many civilian roles. Don't want to spend the whole weekend at a garrison event? Well, the following specialty roles may be for you;

Federal Officer Roles Available (for the Courts Martial of Surgeon Byrne):
                              Brigadier General Sylvester Churchill, Inspector General Dept.
                              Col. Carlos Waite, Lt Col 5th Infantry
                              Col. Justin Dimick, Lt Col 2nd Artillery
                              Lt. Col. Daniel Chandler, Capt. 3rd Infantry
                              Lt. Col. Edward Steptoe, Major 9th Infantry
                              Lt. Col. George Crittenden, Mounted Riflemen
                              Major William Nichols, Capt. Adjutant Generals Office
                              Capt. Samuel Jones, 1st Artillery, Judge Advocate
                              Col. Charles May, Major 2nd Dragoons, Prosecution
                              Bernard M. Byrne, Surgeon, 1st Artillery (accused)
                              Lt. F.A. Shoup, 1st Artillery, Witness
                              Lt O.H. Tillinghast, 1st Artillery, Witness
                              Capt. Abner Doubleday, 1st Artillery, Witness
                              William J. L'Engle, Assistant Surgeon, US Army, Witness

Civilian Roles Available (for the Courts Martial):
                              William E Martin, Esq, Atty. for the accused
                              Dr. Eli Geddings, Medical College of South Carolina (MUSC), Witness
                              Dr. Edmund Ravenel, Charleston, Witness
                              Vincent Williams, Hosptial Steward US Army, Witness
                              Dr. John Bellinger, Charleston, Witness

There are also roles available for another vignette involving the argument by Charleston civilians for the release of the cargo of the slave ship Echo, held at Fort Sumter. Lt. Jeff Davis was on the receiving end of this argument.

Sunday, there will be a Rounders match between the Federal Garrison and the SC Militia. Civilian spectators are invited. Come and enjoy a Sunday picnic on the SC Coast while watching the South Carolina men give a thrashing to the Federal soldiers.

The registration form is available at TrampBrigade.com. Contact Brian McGarrahan at bmcgarrahan@trampbrigade.com for further information. Background information is available at the Fort Moultrie Event Page. Detailed guidelines are available on this page, but what follows is a quick rundown.
                              Federal:
                              Pre-war dress uniform (Frock, dark blue trousers, dressed Hardee hat, gloves, 42 smoothbore, pre-war accoutrements). Garrison duty allows you to bring all the little things you cannot take into the field.

Militia:
                              Civilian clothing, civilian weapons of any type acceptable to 1858 and South Carolina or no weapon at all (of course there will be a fine during inspection), accoutrements related to your weapon, and a loose knowledge of drill.

Alcohol is not permitted on NPS properties, but a grog shop is within walking distance of the post for those chilly December nights.

This is the first of three events in the Charleston area for the coming years. We are building towards the Smoke of Secession in 1860. Get involved now!
                              [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
                              [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Infantry or Artillery?

The guide lines call for the Infantry frock coat. Would artillery be more appropriate? Or is this a concesion being made so that folks don't have to go out and buy a very expensive specialty item? Just asking, because I'm currently making a frock and its not to late to add red piping instead of sky blue.

Thanks,
                                Matt Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X