Pea Ridge/Elk Horn Tavern Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea Ridge/Elk Horn Tavern Announcement

The North/South Alliance, a joint venture between the First FEDERAL Division and the Confederate Army of Tennessee, will be hosting the PEA RIDGE/ELK HORN TAVERN Encampment and Engagement the weekend of March 6-8, 2009, near Jonesboro, Arkansas.

While there will be "public battles" each day, there is an opportunity for living historians to participate as SOLDIERS 24/7 throughout the weekend. The battlefield area and one part of the event site will be designated as "1862" the entire weekend. The opposing armies will engage in Picket/Outpost/reconnaissance/patrols/skirmishing 24/7, with the opportunity to be in "first person" all weekend. The times between the "public battles" will be non-scripted opportunities for the Armies to live as armies in the field, and the schedule will be such that these small non-scripted scenarios will build -up and flow right into the public battle, and then the public battle will not "end with a handshake and TAPS" but the army that has the field will immediately deploy skirmishers, and the "tactical" non-scripted activites will begin from there. So it will feel like and be like one campaign, one engagement.

There will be a Federal "campaigner" battalion (or wing) formed that will participate in this event and then go directly "Into the Piney Woods"so this would be a great opportunity to come together and prepare and be a soldier for a full week! Check with the CSA to see if they are doing the same!

There will also be "main camps" for those battalions not wishing to aprticipate in the 24/7 scenarios; there will be sutlers (we are working on getting the best quality we can for this event), etc.

The event website is [URL="http://www.pearidge-elkhorntavern.org/"]. For more information, contact the First Federal Division or the Army of the tennessee through their websites.
    Last edited by hernicus; 07-22-2008, 11:08 AM.
    sigpic
    Mark Hernbroth
    NCWA/AOP
    "Semper Unitas, Semper Libertas"

Re: Pea Ridge/Elk Horn Tavern Announcement

With regards to a continuation from this event, to 'Into The Piney Woods' for the Federals, what elements of the 'Piney Woods' Federals do you anticipate being at this Pea Ridge event?
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

There will be a Federal "campaigner" battalion (or wing) formed that will participate in this event and then go directly "Into the Piney Woods"so this would be a great opportunity to come together and prepare and be a soldier for a full week!
      Brian,

I don't know about a campaigner battalion or wing that will be doing both events. I will be at both events. I will be on FFD staff at "Jonesboro" and I am raising a company of Federals for "ITPW". I am trying to get the majority of my company for "ITPW" to do both events, but I don't think that will happen.

Me, I'm looking forward to spending 7-10 days in the field.
      Rob Murray

Comment

The invitation is open to ANY federals who want to do both events. I know of several campaigners (myslef incuded) who are looking at doing both events and are committed to them. As we get closer, we will be corrdinating this effort. Just keep checking here, and feel free to contact me!

Mark
        sigpic
        Mark Hernbroth
        NCWA/AOP

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Murray View Post
          Brian,

I don't know about a campaigner battalion or wing that will be doing both events. I will be at both events. I will be on FFD staff at "Jonesboro" and I am raising a company of Federals for "ITPW". I am trying to get the majority of my company for "ITPW" to do both events, but I don't think that will happen.

Me, I'm looking forward to spending 7-10 days in the field.
          Rob,

I knew you'd be returning to the Piney Woods again as a Co. Cmdr. As you know, I'm returning as SgtMaj for the Federal effort. Perhaps I'll look closer at 'Jonesboro'. 7-10 days in the field is nothing new to me (it's actually a rather short time considering what I was used to in my previous life) but it would be a first of that duration for me and this peculiar hobby of ours.

Please keep me advised as you build the campaigner element for the Pea Ridge event.
          Brian Hicks
          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

There may be a number of us who will be doing both. Silas will be CS for the big one and US (Adjutant) for IPW. I will be at both in blue, second in command of the feds at IPW with Terry, Brian and Silas.

Mark is it in fact set in stone that the NSA event is Pea Ridge? Sure would be neat to have it be the northern portion of the Red River Campaign (Battles of Camden and Jenkins Ferry), tie in with Piney Woods (southern portion of Red River) and celebrate the 145th anniversary of one of the most interesting campaigns of the war. It would also be easier on those folks who will in fact do both from a uniform standpoint. The excellent land you guys have is actually closer to Jenkins Ferry than it is Pea Ridge. Not a huge deal obviously but if the research has not ramped up yet it might not be too hard to change? Just a thought.

Ironically, having the two events so close together (could not be helped due to things like hunting seasons and farming schedules) might actually be good for folks who are flying like me or driving long distances. Instead of two trips you can make it just one as there is only a break of 2 days between the two events - enough time to catch up on BBQ and sleep. This will be a heckuva 10 days.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug:

It's Pea Ridge / Elkhorn Tavern
              Mike Ventura
              Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Mike,

I understand the N/SA's Pea Ridge/Elkhorn Tavern to be cancelled. Can you verify one way or the other for the benefit of the forum members who may have been planning a two-fer?

Thanks.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

We have received official notice from the land owner and/or his representative that the Pea Ridge/Elk Horn Tavern Event previously scheduled for March 2009 HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

This notice is effective immediately.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Future plans for putting the First Federal Division in the field will be forthcoming as soon as possibilities present themselves. Please check back with the First Federal Division website http://www.firstfederaldivision.com for more information.
                  sigpic
                  Mark Hernbroth
                  NCWA/AOP

Comment

Well, that smooths things out for the 'Digging In' event.
                    John Pillers
                    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

I would like to ask everyone who would like to be a part of Digging In a question.

We have been hearing through the grapevine that becuase of Piney Woods the next weekend and that this is not a EBUFU and therefore not a major push for people to attend that people are thinking about not coming.

If this is the case we would like to know if postponing it for a year would be the thing to do?

The park is up for it if you want to do it, so let us know what you think.

Thanks,

Steve
                      Steve Black

Comment

Steve,

This sounds like a great event, not only from a living history standpoint but also a great opportunity to assist the park with improved interpretation of a important but neglected site.

If the event procedes please let me know and count me in- and I will try to build up some additional interest.

V/R,
                        kip
                        Kip Lindberg

Comment

Steve-

I am very enthused about this event, but I am also concerned about the conflict you mention. It isn't so much that it isn't a major event, but rather the timing. Travel and participation for Piney Woods is going to suck up a week's worth time for me and a lot of "Kitchen Capital". The majority of our mess will be attending Piney Woods and several will be facing the same issue. This is difficult because we regularly support Pea Ridge. On the other hand, there are those who have said it will be helpful because they will already be passing through en route to ITPW.

I also don't know if I, (and others) will be able to construct an Illinois state jacket in time. But this isn't impossible. I still have the event listed or on my radar, and if it is "on" for 2009 will do all I can to be there.

Personally, I wouldn't be hurt if we were able to put this off a year and better able to make a commitment. I would hate to miss an event like this.
                          Jay Stevens
                          Tater Mess
                          Independent Volunteers
                          Iron Man Mess
                          Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                          Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                          Lost Tribes, October 2009
                          Bummers, November 2009
                          Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                          The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                          In the Van, August 2010
                          Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Gentlemen,

The staff here talked about the Digging In event for a bit and we have decided to postpone the event for on year. We think that it was the right thing to do considering the other events happening.

We feel that waiting a year will allow for greater publicity and make for what we hope will be one unique event. Thanks to all who have said that they would be coming and we look forward to seeing you in 2010 for Digging In.

Of course, you are all welcome to come to the park for our annual Battle Anniversary Weekend March 7&8, 2009.

Steve
                            Steve Black

Comment

Oustanding decision Steve - it will ensure many of us can now go. Thanks!!
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                              X