Iron Brigade Gettyburg NPS LH Carpe Eventum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iron Brigade Gettyburg NPS LH Carpe Eventum

I participated a couple of years ago and was doing a 2nd Wisconsin impression and brought my original Lorenz, there were some questions about being allowed to fire it by the summer intern assisting the Park Ranger. Unfortunately I have relocated to Arizona and won't be making the trip out east this summer but it was certainly special to be on that ground and some of us did reenact the march of the Second WI, in uniform but no rifles of course. I do remember that it was hot one and for a few days afterwards of picking ticks off me, must of hitchhiked with the uniform.
    Jim Benware
    Belle City Rifles
    Co. F, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry
    Cushing's Battery

Comment

Tom,
      I'm just curious, do you have a source for where we can buy an original lorenz? I am curious as to what they go for. I've done a google search and come up empty handed. Thanks!

Joey Danner
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
      Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Hi Joseph,

If you check with Lodgewood Mfg. - Bill Osborne or Tim Prince whom is an AC Approved Vendors, these will come up from time to time. Depending on their condition, anywhere from $800.00 to $1300.00 is the norm.

Just one note on carrying an original for the event, you will not be able to fire your rifle musket as the NPS dose not allow the use of original weapons for their firing demonstrations. As long as your are okay with that, it is great way to educate the public about the Lorenz in the .54 caliber in which the Second Wisconsin carried. I did this along with many of my chums in the Hard Heads back in 2005 at Gainesville with the Southern Guard portraying the 7th Wisconsin, and had a great time.

Thanks for your question Joseph.

Also for those looking for our event requirments, we now have our event packet online by going to the Hard Head Mess Webpage which our link is in my signature line. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Tom
        Last edited by TKlas; 01-14-2009, 01:39 AM.
        Tom Klas
        Hard Head Mess
        Citizens Guard

Comment

Not to but in but College Hill Arsenal had a couple a while back and it would probably be worth checking with them once in a while. Otherwise you have to probably do what I had to which was to go to many gun shows and hope you get lucky. Good luck in your search.
          Jim Benware
          Belle City Rifles
          Co. F, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry
          Cushing's Battery

Comment

About the original rifles, a few years ago, when the Belle City Rifles were there with us, many of them had a Lorenz, and as I recall, still used them that weekend. The park ranger who supervises us was fine with their use as long as they were safe. I would recommend bringing another rifle as well just in case, but if you have a Lorenz, it would be great to have it there for display, if nothing else.
            Andrew Roscoe,
            The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
            24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

I purchased my last Lorenz from College Hill. They seem to have at least one up on their site most of the time. The condition of most that show up are great. If your looking to pick up a Lorenz it is worth checking on their site from time to time. They move off very quickly.

Dave Tucker
              Co A 5th VA
              Co I 7th Wis
              Dave Tucker
              Co. I, 7th WI
              Co. A, 5th VA

Comment

Originally posted by garyjd View Post
                Since we're on the subject of the Iron Brigade, does anyone have a source for reproduction 1st Corps 1st Division cloth Corps badges? If not, perhaps a source where I could get a swatch of red cloth. This may be an item some folks need to help complete their Iron Brigade impression. Thanks in advance. ~Gary
                Gary, I've got a couple feet by x inches wide swath of a nice red flannel.....2" DIAMETER circles and you're in like
                Flynn.

rjsamp@comcast.net and send me your address.
                RJ Samp
                (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Hi gents,

Here is an updated list of those registered and paid for the campaigner adjunct on July 31st, August 1-2, 2009.

Gettysburg Iron Brigade NPS LH Campaigner Company

Company “A” Second Wisconsin Vols.

Registered and Paid List – 3/8/2009

1. Barker, Dan
                  2. Jaeger, Bret
                  3. John, Michael
                  4. Klas, Gary
                  5. Klas, Tom
                  6. Miller, Andrew
                  7. Mink, Eric
                  8. Propp, Rich
                  9. Tucker, Dave
                  10. Warren, William
                  11. Wedeward, John

I will update the list every month until the event is here. We are looking to put together a quality company for the event. Thanks for your interest.

Tom
                  Tom Klas
                  Hard Head Mess
                  Citizens Guard

Comment

Hi gents,

Just a quick update that Lance Herdegen will be with us for the weekend just to confirm with everyone in a recent conversation I had with him. Due to the length of the Cordi Farm March, Lance will be meeting us at different key points of the march to add some good soldier stories and historical perspective from the men of the Iron Brigade of the West. We also have another relative of a Citizens Guard soldier that plans to meet us at the event and be with us at the monument march.

In a week or so we will be launching a list server for all registered participants to share information, the history of the Second Wisconsin, a discussion of our drill manuals for the event including Chandler's Tactics, and some non-typical background information from the local level on the men we attempt to portray.

As for our registered and paid list, I will update this after Easter and our company is growing with quality gents. Just as a reminder our deadline to register is July 1st and we are getting close to having 2/3rd's of our first campaigner company filled with 65 total slots available.

Thanks for your interest and please post or e-mail me at fallriversoldier@hotmail.com with any questions.

Tom
                    Tom Klas
                    Hard Head Mess
                    Citizens Guard

Comment

Tom and the Hard Head Mess,

All I can say is that we Hairy Nation Boys are excited about this event.

To think that in one month we will go from Kennesaw Mountain (11th Iowa Co.G see thread) to Gettysburg is excellent! One of our boys has never been to Kennesaw and Gettysburg so he is in for a real treat.
                      Not only those two battlefields but we plan to visit Lookout Mountain, Chickamagua, and Antietam. Should make for a great summer.
                      Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Your friend,
                      Holler
                      Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 04-10-2009, 09:55 AM.
                      Nathan Hellwig
                      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I dropped my registration in the mail today.

What is planned for the march and the speakers really sounds like a once in a lifetime chance filled with memories.

See you all out there.
                        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                        Civil War Digital Digest
                        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Gents,
                          Over the last few weeks, a lot of the information for this event has started to come together. We should be posting an event schedule within the next few weeks. As a brand new member of the ONV, I have to say, I'm excited to have you all joining us at this event, and I am doing my very best to make it a great weekend for all. Hopefully, in a week or two, I'll be posting the battalion structure for the event. Its looking like we will have 5 companies, plus the ONV company, hopefully with around 35 men per company. It should be a great weekend, I can't wait!
                          Andrew Roscoe,
                          The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
                          24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
                          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Tom, we'll be waving to you from Pitzer's Woods across the way, and you may catch a glimpse of the 1st Texas ambling to the southeast around 4:00 p.m. when the temps are still rather warm that time of year. If you need something (other than cool weather) from the locals, please do not hesitate to ask.
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the kind offer and hopefully we may cross paths sometime during the weekend. I know many of us will be touring after the event so you may see a fine man from the Upper Midwest touring a battlefield in Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia as well.

Just to share in some information that many may not know, the original Iron Brigade Association (not the reenactor group) is open to new memberships incase this event has your interest up in the men whom upheld the honor of the West in the Army of the Potomac.

This fraternal organization was organized in 1880 in Milwaukee by the veterans of the Iron Brigade of the West with Generals Gibbon, Bragg, and Fairchild being prominent figures in its organization. In 1990, the organization was handed over to the Milwaukee Civil War Round Table by two sons of those Iron Brigade of the West veterans -- William H. Upham of Milwaukee and James F. Sullivan of New Port Richey, Florida. William Upham’s father served in the Second Wisconsin and James Sullivan’s father served in the Sixth Wisconsin.

For five dollars payable to the Milwaukee Civil War Round Table along with your full name and address, you can become a lifetime member of this organization and be on the roster side by side with the men we attempt to portray out at Gettysburg this July. You will receive a membership card and lapel Iron Brigade Cross Pin but the most important part is you will be part of the group founded by the men whom fought and bled at many prominent battles including Gettysburg if you’re interested in the history of this group. I still need to get my membership in and Lance will probably shake his head that I have not yet. My check will be going out soon. :o

For those interested, please send your inquiry with payment to:

Paul A. Eilbes
                              CWRT of Milwaukee
                              1809 Washington Avenue
                              Cedarburg, WI 53012

Thanks gents,

Tom
                              Tom Klas
                              Hard Head Mess
                              Citizens Guard

Comment

Hi gents,

As promised, here is our current list of participants for the Gettysburg NPS Carpe Evenum. I know there will be more names coming in soon that have not got their registration and payment in, so if you are thinking about coming out, feel free to post or e-mail if you have any questions.

We are looking at a company over 30 in number by my loose estimate based on serious interst to attend and perhaps more. By next week, we should have our list server up for the event with some new event information for all registered participants. Our goal is one solid company of 30-40 gents to accuratly portray a company of the Citizens Guard and I think we will get their with quality gents based on their historic numbers going into the battle on July 1, 1863.

Gettysburg Iron Brigade NPS LH Campaigner Company

Registered and Paid List – 4/17/2009

1. Ackeret, Andy
                                2. Aldstadt, Joe
                                3. Barker, Dan
                                4. Bevard, Jeremy
                                5. George, AJ
                                6. George, James
                                7. Hayes, Jeff
                                8. Herdegen, Lance
                                9. Holloway, Harrison
                                10. Jaeger, Bret
                                11. John, Michael