Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cumberland Gap Living History

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    The CW director of Cumberland Gap National Park has asked me to contact members of this forum in an attempt to bring some quality impressions to the Park for a Living History.
    Before anyone goes nuts about the dates, I have explained dates in October are a bad idea, but they are stand fast in their decision.
    This is the info I have received:
    During this event we will have no less than 8 different large and detailed
    living history venues that will paint a wide picture of the "War Between
    the States." These venues will truly bring to life the little seen and
    little thought of facets of this most fascinating time in our country! (We
    will also host the normal event trappings such as a ball, a ladies tea,
    period music, and some unique program offerings such as Encounters in the
    Dark' where you can talk with soldiers in a real cave who really left their
    names there during the war, etc.)

We will paint the following "1st person portraits" of history come to life
    in these inclusive venues:
    The State of the "Union" (Before the war) with Abraham Lincoln (Dennis
    Boggs)
    The State of the "South" with Robert E. Lee (Before the war) (Dr. David
    Chaltas)
    Slavery, Slaves and their labor force, types of jobs they do, etc. with
    Miss Kitty Wilson-Evans from South Carolina's Historic Brattonsville
    (Hands on Cotton) Interpretation
    "Choosing Sides" - Step into the world of a family torn by loyalties to
    different sides of the conflict
    Methods of Communication, Telegraph (looking for a signal corps) flags,
    drums, etc.
    Sickness and Doctors of the Day
    Supplying the Army with 1st person portrayals complete with realistic
    exhibits of the Quartermaster, The farmer on the "receiving end" of a
    foraging party, and the sutler who filled in the cracks of the supply
    dilemma
    The cannons and legend of "Long Tom" and types of shot, saltpetre
    mining, maintaining the wagons / blacksmithing / wheelwrights
    Portrayal of USCT at the Gap
    If you have any expertise in the above impressions please contact Pam Eddy.
    Pamela_Eddy@nps.gov
    She wanted me to stress this is by invitation only and will require you to contact her, with a picture of your impression, before coming.
    The dates are October 9-11, 2009
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Re: Cumberland Gap Living History

Thanks for posting!!!!!
    This should be a good event...I am a member of the planning comittee...if you cannot get ahold of Pam please feel free to contact me and I can get the message to her or can possibly answer your question.

I contacted the moderators about posting this activity at an earlier time but decided not to because of the invitations from the park being extended to mainstream units. Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of the impressions will be above mainstream...however, there will be a certain farbiness involved. We would be very pleased to get some quality living historians so anyone that would be willing to help please let us know and we'll get you in somewhere...
    Don't mean to be putting down the event at all...I think it will be a wonderful opportunity for this park and a fantastic opportunity to make a great impression on a lot of people... as the good Lord knows i've put many hours in this event already and it's not even close to here. In fact, I want to encourage anyone interested to help as this is the first large scale Civil War event at this park and there are PLENTY of original earth works, parts of the artillery warehouse, etc and it is important that it go over well. I think that we have the responsibility to try and make sure events like this go over well so that they continue and develop. Any help from quality reenactors will be VERY appreciated!!!!!! Hope to see you there!
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I would be willing to help as much as I can. This seems like a very interesting opportunity to do a program in a very pristine environment. I was up there this summer for the first time and it is something to see, Put my name down.
      Seth Marshall
      Liberty Rifles

I ain't goin to war with that stinky ol man.
      Pvt. T. Morgan

Comment

I too would be interested.

Sean Wilson
        New Knoxville Mess
        Sean Wilson

Comment

All,
          There is no need to post your intentions on this forum. If you read the initial post you will see the point of contact.
          thanks,
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

There is an aspect to this event that I could sure use some help with....
            I have a secession rally in the works at the nearby Lincoln Memorial Museum and Library at Lincoln Memorial University. It will take place on the Friday night to kick off this event. If anyone is interested in giving a speach for or against secession let me know. If you would be interested in being a spectator and getting a little rowdy when offended please let me know!
            Luke Gilly
            Breckinridge Greys
            Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Wayne,what other impressions would be allowed?Basic infantry?I was wanting to do a typical day in the camp with drill,cleaning,drill,work detail,drill,inspection,ect.I am sure I would be able to get the Dippin Gourds interested.
              Cullen
              Cullen Smith
              South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Is that the dates for Perryville, I think that all of the authentic people east of the Mississippi and west of the mountains should be at Perryville. Chad Green has done a bunch for this part of the hobby and I think that we should return the favor. Last year they scheduled something on the same dates but this year I think we should help out up there for the biggest battle Kentucky ever saw during the war. He has put a lot in for authenticity like the ration program, the village, and a million other things. Not many people have the change to fight on a battlefield that pristine.

Just my two cents, thats about all I have left
                Chad Wrinn

Comment

The Perryville event will be October 3-4th 2009.

Beverly Simpson

Comment

oh my bad
                    sorry
                    Chad Wrinn

Comment

Chad,
                      It's the weekend after Perryville.
                      Cullen,
                      Send me your contact information...We have that exact impression...it is a living exhibit timeline of each occupation...I have the impressions desired...send me a PM or e-mail and I will send you some more info and if you're interested we'll do what's necessary to get you guys in...a mess portraying each impression would be desireable for this.

Anyone interested feel free to shoot me a message!
                      Luke Gilly
                      Breckinridge Greys
                      Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Yes, i am interested as well, and plan on attending this event..

Been waiting for this type of event for a while now
                        Pvt. Steve Middleton

63rd. Tennessee Infantry Regiment

New Knoxville Mess

"They call us Rebels, if you will, We glory in the name, For bending under unjust laws, And swearing faith to an unjust cause, We count as a greater shame."

-Richmond Daily Dispatch, May 12, 1862

Comment

Needed:
                          Folks, I met with park personel last week and got the final green light for a particular exhibit as part of the event:

WANTED:

1. A mess of 4-5 men willing to portray confederates of 1861
                          2. A mess of 4-5 men willing to portray federals of 1862
                          3. A mess of 4-5 men willing to portray confederates of 1863
                          4. A mess of 4-5 men willing to portray federals of 1864

You will be part of a "living exhibit" meaning that you will be portraying the men that were actually at the gap during those periods. I have a few variations on the specific unit that I can go with so please contact me if you would like to portray someone specific (maybe an ancestor who was there for a short time). This exhibit will be part of a living history timeline where visitors will be able to view the changes in the uniform/attitudes/etc. of the soldiers. PM me for more information. Again, as of now I'm leaving it open but I will have to pick specific units very soon so if you want to portray someone particular please contact me! Thanks in advance!
                          Luke Gilly
                          Breckinridge Greys
                          Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Hey all,

Speaking of the Gap, I was curious to see if any other authentics were gonna be going to the event there in April. Our mess termed it "Black Hat Down" after last year when we attended the first time. Apparantly it is going to be more living history oriented this year. Our mes will be portraying Ohio troops from the occupation in 62. We were planning on doing some various garrison type activities. I just wanted to throw it out to anybody that lived close by that they would be more then welcome to fall in with us there.
                            Jake Koch
                            The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
                            https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
                            -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
                            -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Some guys from my unit are going to be there doing Confederate
                              Chad Wrinn

Comment

Working...
                              X