Mosby event at Welbourne Manor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank You!

As one of the organizers of this event I want to thank all of you who came out and supported the event! It was a small, bare bones event, and that is what it was intended to be, but I think it had a little something for everyone.

Beyond our cavalry fight on Sunday morning, my favorite memory from this event was watching the two fellows who were taking a bath in the creek got cut off by the Reb charge. That was funny!

Thanks again,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry
    Tom Craig

Comment

Re: Mosby event at Welbourne Manor

I too had a good time this weekend. I mentioned to several people that just having the chance to move around in that area is worth the price of admission. I am glad the infantry guys had a good time despite the mishap on Sat. We did have a very lively action Sunday morning which was great. I need to thank Todd and Tom as well for there efforts in moving this event forward. Now, we need to look at Unison in the fall and get ready for that. Same area, more extended action and ground, and hopefully another good event. Look for details about that event with more notice and organization then this one.
      Rob Bruno
      1st MD Cav
      http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Thanks to Tom and Rob for putting on this event. I had great time riding with the 1st Maine especially the night time ride cross country.

The chance to drag a partisan out of the main house was good fun too!
        Eric Rihl
        1st MN, Co. D

Comment

We rode more after dark than I have ever done. On Friday we got to ride cross country and navigate through woods I had never been in, all in the dark, which was a very period experience. Very cool!

Dragging that partisan out of the house was neat as well!

Looking forward to October!!

Take care,
          Tom Craig
          1st Maine Cavalry
          Tom Craig

Comment

Belatedly, I'm adding my thanks to Tom, Rob, et al. for a great event, and to Todd for a lively horse.

It was indeed about as real as we can get. Where do we camp and when? We'll know when we get there, watering the horses where we can, and if there's no hay we'll improvise. We discovered that marching at night is a real trip, engaging all the senses and showing how reliable a horse is. We were patient and helpful when someone had equipment issues. We paid our respects to our fallen comrade Bill, we reconnoitered the margins, forded streams, retrieved water for the infantry, coordinated with them in battle, and fought well. It was an honor to indulge our dramatic flair and participate in the torchlight tours, and however tired and sore I was by the end I would not have missed it for anything. In the end, although we may have chaffed each other in blue and gray, we came away with a mutual respect much as those who fought the real fight felt for each other after years in the field.

As I see it, our mounted events at Unison are only getting better, and I have great hopes for next October. Any serious cavalryman should make a point of being there.

Andrew German
            1st Maine Cavalry
            Andrew German

Comment

As good as the Mosby event was, the Battle of Unison will be even better. Gerry Todd has the beginings of the website up and running(link to it on the 1st Maine Cavalry website). We will be doing Phase I,II,IV, and V as documented in the NPS survey of the 1862 battle in Loudoun County, Virginia. The authenticity standards are going to be quite high.

We're hoping for a company size contingent of Federal Infantry and twenty mounted troopers per side. There will be some civilian vignettes in the town of Unison and at Welbourne manor.The troops will cover about 12 miles over the course of the event.

For those of you who haven't been in this area of Virginia, the landscape is almost pristine with numerous stone walls, period farms, and all gravel roads.

Your Obedient Servant,
              John Sweeney
              Valley Light Horse

Comment

Working...
              X