No announcement yet.

Goen to the Mumford (17 - 19 July 2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goen to the Mumford (17 - 19 July 2009)

Every year we pick a mainstream event to attend and have some laid back fun at something we don't need to put a heck of a lot of effort into making happen, and, of course, getting the old meter recalibrated. It's not that we didn't love quietly improving the works in red shale at Liberty NY, enjoying the company of nice folks at Shippensburg PA, noshing on salt pork on some old farm west of Gettysburg, and some other off-circuit events, but after a few years we got homesick for that wonderful village not far from Rochester, NY. The prodigal sons have returned, so pandemonium and hilarity shall ensue.

Without further ado, this year, by golly, it's Mumford, NY, also known as Genesee Country Village. Expect some more specific information later on, but suffice to say this is a happy little company of federals led by folks you know. Email Doug Oakes at oldsoldier51@yahoo.com for more information. Registration is the old style bulk method, so you know what that means. Strays welcome.

Once again, the dates are 17-19 July 2009. Okay, so it's really a carpe eventum, and not a campaigner adjunct, since we aren't marching very far. ;)
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: Goen to the Mumford (17 - 19 July 2009)

Charles,
    As a member of the host unit, I look forward to seeing you there.
    Mick Cole
    22nd VA Co. G

Comment

Mick,

Going up to "Gennyville" in blue will be a real change of pace from the last four trips in gray, as our humble alter ego the 2nd Florida "Fleeing Pelicans." I always look forward to the event's ration issue, as we truly never know what we are going to get.

Any idea what the scenario is for 2009? With G'burg last year, I'm assuming either Winchester or Fredericksburg for this year. I'd love know. The website has the 200th Anniversary Lincoln theme, and that's pretty cool in itself. It's nice to have a Kentuckian with Virginia roots get some love in Western New York.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Oh good old Mumford NY, where Huck was born so many years ago. Where Huck was able to show the world was he was capable to do, cuts some firewood, put an ax into knee, end with two stitches. A few weeks after the 125th of Gettysburg, a long bus ride with the SWB to Mumford (since then I can't stand the smell of peach snapps) and the rest was history. It's a good little event, very layed back from what I remember.
        Aka
        Wm Green :D
        Illegitimi non carborundum
        (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
        Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Huck,

At the right time of year, that place is filled with ripe sweet cherries, and a hillside near the baseball field has more than plenty raspberries. John Tobey and I were cranking out some nice corn dodgers one year, and they weren't exactly the plain Jan variety. Of course, the year Sparky Henion proudly showed up with freshly dressed yardbird dangling from the end of his long arm, the museum folks were just a tad concerned.

I saw a claim to fame the other day where some bunch stated they'd invented the event ration issue in 2001. These folks have been issuing something or another on an event wide basis for a long, long time. Gotta be getting close to the 30th anniversary, but my feeble mind can't quite recall if that was the 20th or 25th anniversary speech we were listening to a few years ago.

Loads of folks have been to Mumford over the years. Kevin says they had 1,200 participants at the apex of Civil War reenacting. That's a lot of people.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Well this weekend a few of us here in Colorado are heading to the trenches we bult and work on them some more. We have names the place Fort Union after the largest earthen fort in the Deptment of New Mexico.
            Aka
            Wm Green :D
            Illegitimi non carborundum
            (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
            Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

I first attended the Mumford event in 1988 (and have the Claude Levet tintype to prove it!). Rations issued then, and every other time I attended, based on morning reports.
              Greg Renault

Comment

Attended my first Mumford event last year for a change of pace, along with a couple of fellow Buckeyes. It was an enjoyable weekend, and we did get to kick back and relax. We kept an open mind (kilts and moutain howitzers) and did had fun. We are returning this year for another "excursion".
                Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                49th Ohio
                Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Charles,
                  I will see what I can find out and let you know. I just joined the 22nd last month and am still getting up to speed. The back problem that slowed me down so much at Malvern Hill has not improved so my participation is still somewhat limited.
                  Mick Cole
                  22nd VA

Comment

Mick,

Before departing for the PL COI, I emailed Mike Lavis on the Union Dispatch listserver, and he had the following to say:

There are some definite changes being made this year for Mumford, At the meeting Wednesday, they have decided to change the battle location to the upperstaging, or old reenacting parking lot. They also decided to not have an historical setting/battle for this year. However, Brian O'Connor is unable to be there this year, and I have been asked to take command of the Feds. We can still do something on our side, impression-wise. I am checking out some possibilities and will get back to you soon.
                    Mike Lavis is always fun to work with, so this adds yet another "go-to" element to Mumford 2009. Heck, this may portend yet another good battalion drill session. Outstanding!
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Folks,

Looks like the company impression for this one is Co. F, 151st NYVI, which should sound familiar to the Winter 1864 2004, 2006, and 2008 crowd. Nothing fancy, but it is yet another opportunity to wear that NYS jacket. Any impression info you may need is on the venerable Winter 1864 listserver. Yes, it is still up, chock full of information, and has a surprising 186 members. It's an open group, chock full of information, and the URL is here:

If you are interested in this carpe eventum opportunity, shoot an email to Doug Oakes at:
                      oldsoldier51@yahoo.com
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

We'll be at Mumford this year. If anyone from the AC forum will be there, stop by and say hello. We have the 10 Pdr Parrott, limber, and caisson, on the CS side. My gun crew will be sporting our new Columbus Depot jackets, made by Fred Baker. I know, I know, CD jackets have blue trim, what will they say?

Michael Dec
                        Michael Dec
                        McClung's Tennessee Battery
                        http://armydrawers.echoes.net/

Comment

Working...
                        X