Resaca AAR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resaca AAR question

When riding off the field by way of the dirt road both days I was greeted by salutes from the Civil Air Patrol volunteers. Although I understand the sentiment and my perception of their intention, I was made somewhat uncomfortable by it. I was not bearing colors, and I am not a veteran, so I felt completely undeserving of the honor. I returned the salutes, as did Guy Musgrove who was with me on saturday, for I felt to not do so would be equally as inapropriate.
    Making it even more uncomfortable, we had just shaken the hand of, and thanked for his service, a gentleman in a wheel chair wearing a VFW hat who might well have been W.W.II age.
    On sunday I again returned the salutes, but also addressed the adult members and told them to find a real veteran and render that honor upon them, I do not deserve it.
    So my question is, in that case do we accept it humbly, or try to redirect to those more deserving? Are they saluting us, or the uniforms we are wearing and the cause we represent? Is it better to accept the honor or to risk offending those who rendered it?
    Just looking for some input, maybe proper protocal. No modern political rants, please, I would just like to discuss what is appropriate. I was Federal, by the way.

Moderators, relocate if you wish. As if you needed my permission....
    Last edited by csabugler; 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM. Reason: addition
    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
    Old wore out Bugler

Re: Resaca AAR question

I really think that they were saluting the men that we are suppose to represent rather than us and who we are. They saluted the Blue and the Gray so I do think that the salutes were appropriate and our return of the salutes just as appropriate. No, I am not worthy of their salutes but the men that I try to represent are worthy and I feel that they would be honored.

Just my thoughts.
    Claude Sinclair
    Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Hi Pete,

Having had that same thing happen to me in the past, I tend to agree with Mr. Sinclair that they are not saluting us as reenactors, but rather those whom we portray. This, I believe, shows the tremendous amount of respect that they have for those veterans of that war which is a compliment to how we (hopefully) are portraying them.

By the way, on a side note, you did a fabulous job with the bugle calls in Resaca! It added so very much to the over all experience for me as well as the men. Thanks for the work and the quality!!

Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cav, Co. D.
      (portraying the 9th Ohio at Resaca)
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Thanks, Mark. Rambo got a kick out of the couple times he let my move you by bugle and you would turn your head and look at us when I played your preface. That is what It's all about for me. Now I have got to get better at playing and trying to use leg ques to keep Woodrow in place!!
        Maybe I am overreacting on the salute deal, but honoring vets is important to me and I just don't feel comfortable being saluted by a stranger. That's why I put it out here, to get opinions from other folks.

Patrick Peterson
        Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Bugling and music overall at Resaca was excellent. I saw the same CAP salutes Sunday as we marched in the 125th OVI past them leaving camp. I think some people honestly think we are active-duty. I have been thanked for my service while doing CW demonstrations at Stones River Battlefield before by adults. Right after 9/11 I had a senior citizen actually ask me whether or not my unit was going to be deployed or not. While the thought of a 6 pdr in Afganistan right then was savory, I doubt we'd last too long. Kids really do not seem to understand the difference between re-enactor civilian and active soldier. To them a uniform is a sign of active duty. The CAP kids were probably aware of the difference and merely mimicking behavior they saw from an older member, or not knowing what they should do they decided to err on the side of perceived patriotism instead of risking a tongue-lashing by some CAP officer. As to how to handle it, I usually ignore the gaff rather than call attention to it, although I have on occasion explained the difference when time permitted. Anyway, it is good to see the CAP kids actually showing some sort of patriotism. So often kids their age are acting like fools.

Comment

On the salutes--
            As a member of CAP for 20 or so years, as well as reenactor and military veteran, I'd say both salutes were appropriate. A salute is an exchange of courtesy between members of a military service. It can be a rendering of honors, and often is, particularly when saluting superiors in rank. But it is appropriate between miitary members anytime. -- Scrub

Comment

It may also be a case of "If in doubt, whip it out". While in tech school at Sheppard AFB, we actually saluted ROTC kids. You should have seen the looks we got. It was explained to us by our intructors after we asked them. Just a thought
              Paul Wolbeck, Captain
              33rd AL Inf

Pvt. Ezra Walker
              36th OH, Co G Salem Light Guard

Comment

Sir-

I can agree with Mr. Sinclair on this one... you represent those brave men in the Civil War that made our country to those CAP youth. I feel that it is wholly appropriate and friendly that you would salute them back while representing a soldier of the period at a period event. Being an officer (Capt.) in the Air National Guard as well as a combat veteran of Iraq, I can say that from your comments, that your heart is in the right place concerning the seriousness of proper military protocol. Sometimes, I wished more civilians had the same thoughts as you have shared with us here.

In that same light, I wouldn't exactly demand of spectators a salute if I were portraying an officer at an event where the public is invited... if one is rendered, then I would return it smartly.

Perhaps by your act of reciprocal respect those boys might catch a glimpse of pride in their American heritage...

Like we'd say in Iraq ... I wouldn't sweat it much, friend. ;)

All the best- Johnny Lloyd
                Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 06-23-2009, 11:12 PM.
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I am not a veteran, but I grew up in the military. Dad is a 26 year army Air Corps veteran, my brother saw active duty during the Vietnam era. Linda's dad was 32 years Airborne Engineer, and her sister retired a Colonel in the Army Reserve. So we are aware of some of the protocal, but keenly aware of the honor that our veterans deserve.
                  In the future I will return such honors with less "discomfort".
                  And Johnny, thank you to you all who serve, past and present.

Patrick Peterson
                  Grateful citizen

Patrick Peterson
                  Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Working...
                  X