X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 147th Perryville Commemoration

Patrick,
    I too, know they both know each, all too well. Chad has responded to Jim's calls, emails, "PM's" and whatever else he has sent. You, sir, are unaware of this, are you not? If you are not aware, Chad has openly stated that on both, this forum and CW forum. But yet, Mr. Butler continues to pound away at Chad and the Western Federal Blues. The computer generated attacks are plain.

As for attending a c/p/h event, I have sent you a "PM" regarding such.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]I Remain, Your Obedient Servant[/I]
    [COLOR="Black"][B]Jimmy "Doc" Nelson[/B][/color][/font]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Daylight Lodge # 760 F&AM
    Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels[/FONT]

[I][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Black"]In honor of my 3rd Great Grandfather: "John Daniel Nelson", Surgeon, 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I was well aware Doc, thanks for your quick jump at an assumption.

I've attended Perryville several times before, and plan to be there this year as well. I also am very aware of the fire directed Joni's way for pushing hard authenticity standards on the event, as I have talked with her and Chad about it back in 2006 when I was part of a campaigner adjunct for their candlelight tours.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

I am not one to really give a hoot about squabbles over who is and who isn't qualified to hype their events on the AC. I have been to some events overly hyped on the AC that were sadly deficient in authenticity. I have seen some folks that do a lot of crowing in the flesh, and they shouldn't crow so loudly. I have no dog in the Perryville fight, but what Mr. Wickett said about calling off inquisitions makes sense to me. My only concern is I haven't figured out which side of the fight Landrum is on so I can join the other side! So, carry on with your squabbling but keep in mind the old saying about folks living in glass houses and throwing rocks.
        Tom Yearby
        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I did not think that I had a dog in this fight (because I will not be attending the event), but maybe I do anyway. I have been to Perryville several times. Each experience has been outstanding. You just can't beat being on an original battlefield in a rural setting with few modern intrusions. The staff at Perryville is very dedicated, and responsible living historians/reenactors are given a lot of freedom to campaign. I have read the authenticity standards for Perryville. They are excellent. Are they enforced? Good question. However, I have been at authentic events that had published standards, but they were not strictly enforced, ie, unserviceable weapons, wooden canteens in the Fed ranks, wrong uniforms, ect. It just happens.
          However, back to Perryville. If you want to experience a "real" battlefield, walk in the steps of "real" civil war soldiers, sleep where they slept, and see the night sky as they saw it.........then go to Perryville regardless of the stitch count in your sack coat. Should organizers be allowed to post their events on the AC if they are trying to raise the bar in authenticity, even though it is not blessed as an EBUFU or adjunct event? Absolutely in my opinion. I have given a few hundred dollars over the years to support the AC, and I do not have a problem with posting events like Perryville. An actual battlefield, how much more authentic can you get?
          Also, I do not know Mr. Greene, but I have had an opportunity to serve with Bob Ward. He is a gentlemen and a top notch leader.
          In summary, If you want to have a great experience, just bring a good attitude and do your best to meet the uniform and equipment standards.
          Regards,
          Last edited by DannyJoe; 07-20-2009, 07:31 PM. Reason: add word
          Dan McGraw
          GG-Gson of Patrick Maher, Co E, 1st Minn Cavalry
          GG-Gson of Charles Orth, Co G, 2nd Minn Infantry

Comment

I think "Yoda" Yearby summed it up just right. Time to move on gents.
            [B]Justin Morris[/B]
            [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
            "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

Gentlemen:
              The only thing I can tell you about the event standards being enforced here at Pville. Yes they are as my much chewed on back end can attest to. I've been called names, threatened to be hung, flipped off and all other manner of things, but in the end it is worth it.

I hope that we can get past all of this and move on. Our beloved hobby needs a break. It seems we are trying to eat our own and that is not a good thing. Let us all work together to remember the men who fought here at Perryville and remember that a whole bunch of them did not leave. It is for them that I undergo such butt chewings. Believe me it is a hard position to be in somedays but when I go home at night I sleep well.
              Thanks,
              Joni House
              [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Joni House[/FONT]

Comment

Joni,

Thank you for your efforts! I have seen a number of quality events decline over the years as organizers sacrifice quality scenarios and high standards in an effort to bring in "numbers". Perryville is the closest, most significant battlefield for most reenactors in the Midwest. It is nice to see it buck that trend.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

As one of those who was not real happy about the annual Perryville event continuing to syphon off people and resources from other events every single October (e.g., Corinth and Mill Springs) I figured a possible solution might help. The evident level of "here we go again" angst on this board is palpable.

Perryville is lucky to have a couple of folks whose life mission it is to preserve and enhance this battlefield. Because of the ongoing preservation fight and ongoing budget requirements, this is obviously a different animal than big anniversary events, EBUFU's and even NPS events (since P'ville is a State Historic Site). Joni, while I don't envy anyone who has to come up with a different scenario every year to keep folks interested, I do applaud a steady increase in event standards. The problem is eventually you get labled as either a mainstream event or an authentic (progressive?) event, and risk alienating one side or the other. And that of course could dramatically effect revenue since the conventional wisdom says that numbers = donations.

You guys might want to consider a different path than walking the tightwire between standards and numbers.

Have you considered formalizing a rotation between a larger "mainstream" event one year (standard reflecting) and a smaller authentic event the next (tighter standards)? Perhaps you are on this path already, but formalizing is key. Since those of us on this side tend to raise more bucks per capita, you might see the same revenue every year, even if fewer folks. It would have the added benefit of causing us to reach into our pockets once every other year for a good cause.

It would allow more experimentation with scenarios...even a pre or post battle scenario during the authentic year (no big battle). It would allow the entire hobby more flexibility to schedule events at the same time in October on the "off year", and decrease the evident angst between those of us scheduling a competing once per decade event vs the samo annual event.

Instead of having to run the gauntlet on here while you hype for numbers every year - run it every other year up to the EBUFU standards. You might be surprised at who would show up to your little corner of CW paradise. You might also be surprised at the steady increase in standards during the off year.

And of course, it all goes to increase the bottom line for preservation.
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug,

Even I wouldn't wish that kind of misery and abuse on anyone!! Seriously? Alternating years of high and low standards?

No, once on the track of improvement one shouldn't allow themselves to drift backwards. Damn the farbs, full steam ahead!
                    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Jim,
                      Race to Knoxville not having any mainstream presence at all? Give me a break...who were the guys in the fort? Who became total yahoos on Saturday night?
                      Jake Dinkelaker
                      Cincinnati, Ohio
                      Mess No. 1

Comment

I agree Joe. Once on the right path, stay on that path. You can't please everyone, but you can add the aspect of authenticity every year that will improve the event gradually. It may be a work in progress, but I believe Joni is on the right path.
                        [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
                        -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Jake,

Hey, that is a different issue altogether. If we ar all judged by meeting the standards we posted, I think ALL events fall short at some or many areas. I was not the organizer for Race to Knoxville, so they would have had to enforced the posted standard on them. Your point is valid though as far as it falling short to meet the standard in regard. This is different as there WAS a posted standard for the event. You always have to keep striving to meet that standard rather than strive for an acceptable mainstream standard. Because we fall short from time to time, does not mean we should stop trying.

Jim Butler
                          Jim Butler

Comment

Jim,

The point was that there WAS a mainstream element to Race to Knoxville. It was even advertised in the pre-event info. You were using false info to bash Perryville. Thats the point! I don't really care who was the organizer, but classifying Race as an EBUFU and not letting Perryville in as an adjunct is being hypocritical....Falling short of posted guidelines has nothing to do with it, the streamers in the fort didn't even try-don't make excuses for it you were there as well as I. Thats the different point your are talking about, avoiding the issue..the AC labeling events.
                            There is a posted standard for Perryville. There was one for Race as well, meanwhile the adjunct for the Knoxville event this October doesnt have anything posted as far as standards. Perryville is trying to progress, rather than ignore it like Race did, to get a garrison for the event....thats the difference. I know for one thing, Perryville wont change company designations at the last moment like the EBUFU Race event did to "make it easier", making all my research on the federals worthless!

Start the adjunct thing next year. let this year slide. Hell It seems like every EBUFU event is going to fall way short this year...Race...and Now Assault(force ratios?). That way everybody can start off fresh...without being two-faced this year.
                            Jake Dinkelaker
                            Cincinnati, Ohio
                            Mess No. 1

Comment

I fully support the aim and direction that the Perryville event in taking.
                              I believe that Joni House is doing a great job. She has my support.
                              I am proud to serve in the Western Federal Blues and with Col. Greene , I like his style.

I am looking forward to Perryville in October and serving with Col. Greene again.

Your Obedient Servant,
                              Com. Sgt. Dan Girton, Co. A. 6th Ohio
                              Reg. Quartermaster Sgt. Western Federal Blues.

Comment

Folks, I figure you have about put the issue to rest for now. But I do agree with Jim and Joe that standards at some adjunct events have been low or non-existent. I am not pointing finger here, just stating a fact known by all. The idea of screening adjunct events in the future is a good one. By 2010 that news should be out and about and everyone should know it is the new news. So, carry on with Perryville and may it be a good one, but realize that under the new adjunct guidelines that Mr. Wickett and others have worked hard to put into effect, things aren't going to be the same in the future.
                                Tom Yearby
                                Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Working...
                                X