Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Through the Ages event on March 20-21, 2010 here in Jamestown

I'm not sure if this is efubu or what ever, but thought I'd post this here:

I wanted to see if any units were interested in coming to Military Through the Ages event on March 20-21, 2010 here in Jamestown.

The event is a massive living history with 30+ units ranging from Vikings to the Falkland Wars. There are about 300 reenactors and about 5,000 spectators that attend throughout the weekend.

In the past we've had a few Civil War groups attend, but many of those units are going to Bentonville this year and have decided not to attend, so the 1860s time period won't be represented. So, I've been asked to help find some CW units for this event.

Registration is free, a reception on Saturday night and you'll get access to the museum of course.

This is a judged event, which means you'll be competing against other units both in the Civil War and other time periods.

Best Impression
    Best Cooking
    Best Interpretation
    Best Demonstration

The competition is fierce. They will go over your impression with a fine tooth comb. Last year they made the WWII paratroopers blindfold themselves and take apart M1 Garands, they will check everything from the contents of your pockets to your underwear. They will critique even the most trivial aspect of your kit....believe me, I know I am a former judge for this event and people take this seriously.

You can choose any impression you like. CS, US, Early war, late war, artillery, infantry, Cav (sorry no horses), engineer, zouave, Navy.

Anyway, please feel free to ask questions here on this thread if you have any.

It's a fun event, heck where else can a Confederate, a Nazi, a Communist, an Indian and a Viking hang out together and still be authentic?

To learn more about this event, please see a write up of last year's event at: http://www.historyisfun.org/militar...gh-the-ages.htm

We're also looking for early time periods so if you know of any Romans or other 'cold steel' units, let me know.

If your unit wants to come, please send me an e-mail and I'll send you an application and more information. tailor@cjdaley.com
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Military Through the Ages event on March 20-21, 2010 here in Jamestown

Jamestown where. There are several in the US.
    Fritz Jacobs
    CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
    [email]CPTFritz@aol.com[/email]

Comment

Chris,

It appears the link to the event in Jamestown, KS is broken
      Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
      [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

How about the original Jamestown from 402 years ago? Sorry I didn't clarify.

We're only looking for 1-2 Civil War units, so if you want in, let me know. If you know of a good unit who's willing to compete in other time periods, please let me know that as well.
        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Chris: This is not the same event as the Military Through the Ages held at Newport News Park, correct?
          Jim Mayo

Portsmouth Rifles, 9th Va. Inf.
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/9va/rifles1.html

CW show & tell.
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mayo View Post
            Chris: This is not the same event as the Military Through the Ages held at Newport News Park, correct?

Nope, this is at Jamestown Settlement in Jamestown, Virginia, USA.

I apologize to all you folks who are sending me PMs and e-mails who are confused here. I simply wanted to know if any Federal/Conferderate units wanted to try something different.

To answer your PMs en masse:

1) I realize this is the same weekend as Bentonville, our event has been the scheduled for this weekend in March every year since the late 1980s.

2) I realize this isn't an ebugabu style event, sorry, I'm simply posting on the AC to get good people, it isn't hosted by a hardcore/campaigner unit, but by a museum.

3) I realize this isn't fir-per to the max. This is a 3rd person (or three-per) style living history designed to show the evolution of military history over the last 2K years.

Comment

Chris,

I know that my unit (The Tidewater Maritime Living History Assoc.) has been invited back and that we plan to attend again this year, once again as a naval landing party from the USS AROOSTOOK and Marines from the USS GALENA. I am hoping to defend the blue ribbon that was awarded to our unit last year in "Best Camp Cooking-Cold Steel/Black Powder".

Eric M. Jeanneret
              Ships Cook
              Tidewater Maritime Living History Assoc.

Comment

Originally posted by ships cook View Post
                Chris,

I know that my unit (The Tidewater Maritime Living History Assoc.) has been invited back and that we plan to attend again this year, once again as a naval landing party from the USS AROOSTOOK and Marines from the USS GALENA. I am hoping to defend the blue ribbon that was awarded to our unit last year in "Best Camp Cooking-Cold Steel/Black Powder".

Eric M. Jeanneret
                Ships Cook
                Tidewater Maritime Living History Assoc.
                We're glad to have you Eric. One other CS unit has applied and will most likely be attending as well.

As you know Eric, this isn't just another living history. Participants are 'on' all weekend not only for the thousands of spectators, but because of the competitions and awards. It's really amazing to see some of the unique demonstrations people put on...this isn't just your average 'fire by files' and get applause sort of gig.

Thanks again Eric, we're glad you're coming back.....the Camp Cooking judges really liked your cooking and it says alot that you beat the FEASTS that the earlier time periods were putting together. (they were also sick of the 20th Century GI spam)

Comment

As someone who has participated in this event for the past two years let me say it is a great time to be had. I especially love the ability to interact with the public there and see the other time periods. And the Doughnut Dollies always are a hit. A few of the other time period medicos even kicked around an idea of trying to get a Military Medical through the ages together off Jamestown's model.
                  Brian Schwatka
                  Co. K 3rd US Regulars
                  "Buffsticks"

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndNHDOC View Post
                    As someone who has participated in this event for the past two years let me say it is a great time to be had. I especially love the ability to interact with the public there and see the other time periods. And the Doughnut Dollies always are a hit. A few of the other time period medicos even kicked around an idea of trying to get a Military Medical through the ages together off Jamestown's model.
                    That's a concept I think we'd like to do in the future as a seperate event, maybe at the Yorktown Victory Center. We have a 17th and 18th medical display, but it would great to get medics from other time periods, plus maybe a few nurses or medics from Walter Reed to complete the idea.

I'm glad you are interested in something like that Brian, we'll talk more the next time we see each other!

Comment

I've attended MTA for the past four years with THMLA as well and through rain or shine or snow have never been disappointed.

It is a wonderful event full of good quality historians and reenactors. If living history and talking to the public is your thing, this is the event for you. I read a earlier thread about Interpretation for the Public by Mr. Wickett, this is definitely the event to talk to and interact with spectators and to educate yourself by talking to other participants.
                      Steven Flibotte
                      Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
                      Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
                      Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Comment

Working...
                      X