Fort Negley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Negley

I will be attending a meeting soon with the powers that be at Ft Negley and will need some input from y'all.

Would any Federal group be interested in doing some type of garrison event at the fort? If so y'all are on your own for what you would like to do and how you want to do and I can promise as least a good home cooked supper on Saturday,

Please contact me at augustacarr@aol.com if interested or have any ideas.
    Augusta Carr Scarbrough
    Preservation not Profit
    CWPT,Museum of the Confederacy,SWCW and co-ordinator of volunteers for Ft Negley

Re: Fort Negley

Almost forgot, will get as much publicity as I can for the event and we will have a mail call with letters as well as comfort sacks.

This will be the first time anything like this has been done at the fort and will be open to the public and will be a great time to tell the real story.

BTW I had been advised that some folks think the confederates castrated there Federal prisoners. So we have a lot of work to do.
    Augusta Carr Scarbrough
    Preservation not Profit
    CWPT,Museum of the Confederacy,SWCW and co-ordinator of volunteers for Ft Negley

Comment

Since the Fort has been renovated, and the new visitors center opened, the place certainly lends it self to be a good site for a Federal LH program.

However... I don't know if the renovations of the Fort have made the grounds, and surrounding neighborhood (i.e. security of the participants vehicles) safe for an overnight presence there. Perhaps when you meet with the officials from the Park service, this might be a question worth asking.

A daytime presentation, securing at sunset might be very easily done. I participated in a small presentation for Montgomery Bell Academy Students up there about three years ago.
      Brian Hicks
      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Brian:

I assure you that the parking lot will be manned the entire time the event is going on and if I get any interest will contact the park service and metro police for additional security.

I have been to the area and there is a great improvement in getting rid of the unsavory elements that had been in the area. We are all united in making Ft Negley a place tourist and locals will want to come and see.
        Augusta Carr Scarbrough
        Preservation not Profit

Comment

Keep me advised as to how your meeting comes out. There are a few folks in the Nashville area whom can put together quality Federal impressions (not to mention the numerous other folks who don't mind traveling to a new venue for a different event).

I'll be spending next weekend with a number of the fellas from Ga. I'll see if I can generate some interest amongst them. Meanwhile, I'll query the likes of the MOOCOWs and WIG fellas here in the Nashville Area.

The next question is... when? Most everyones schedule is already pretty tight for this year.

When you meet with the Park folks, query them as to when they would like a program to be presented, and what size they would like to accommodate.
          Brian Hicks
          Widows' Sons Mess

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Brian:

Will do! I hope to meet with the folks with in the next week or two and as long as I know lthere is interest will run with it.
            Augusta Carr Scarbrough
            Preservation not Profit

Comment

There have been a group of us, whom had always been interested. The problem had been, getting the Metropolitan Nashville Park Services interested. Perhaps with the visitors center now open, the right person, talking to the right people may make a difference.
              Brian Hicks
              Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

I have a meeting set up for this Tuesday. IM me if you like and I'll give you my telephone number if you want to talk about what we can do. I have the park service behind me so that is one big obstacle out of the way.
                Augusta Carr Scarbrough
                Preservation not Profit

Comment

My Cell # is (615) 948-3983. I'm here in Nashville.

The big questions for the park service are;

1. How many people would they like on site?

2. What restrictions would be in place? (i.e. Would we be able to do firing demonstrations with blanks? If yes, can we use the ramrods to load? )

3. Can we stay overnight? If yes... then what are the restrictions on fires. Is potable water available? And more importantly, knowing the neighborhood, what kind of security is available, for the fort itself and the parking area.

What can we provide? That would depend on when they would like the event to take place. As I stated earlier, most folks are already committed for most of this year. And closer to the anniversary of the Battle of Nashville is difficult because of the Holiday, and conflicts with the Nashville Civil War show.

The farther out we plan, the greater the numbers we can have involved.

Ideally, I think the site would support a late war Company sized Infantry element (30-40 men). Smaller is always easier.
                  Brian Hicks
                  Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

I too would be interested. It is not far from where I live and have been there several times. I also have some of the same concerns that Brian has, but if something can be worked up, I would love to do something there.
                    Micah Trent
                    Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Have any pics of the place recently? I went there in 2004 and it was well in ruins. I know they put in a walkway but have they done anything else? I found this site http://www.bonps.org/neg.htm Also since it was rebuilt by the WPA in the 30's could it be rebuild again, there are plenty of trees around it already.
                      Last edited by Thomas Alleman; 04-13-2008, 06:25 PM. Reason: Added text
                      Thomas J. Alleman
                      "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Thomas, like you said, they have put in the boardwalk and information signs around the exterior walking path as well as several inside the fort. From what i understand there are going to be several phases of work done to the fort and the fist has just been done. Most of the fort still looks like its been beat to hell and back. It is still a GREAT site and I'm excited about future improvements.

I would also be very interested in an event there. My question would be will we be able to garrison inside the fort or on the south slope?
                        Heath Potter

South Union Guards
                        Star and Crescent Mess
                        A.E.K.D.B.

Bummers
                        Franklin Preservation March
                        Backwater 1865

Comment

A visitors center has been built (and is now open) at the entrance.

Setting up inside would be preferable. But that wold be dictated by numbers participating.

If we strive for something for this year, November has already been suggested.

How about the weekend of 8-9 November as a tentative date to plan towards?
                          Brian Hicks
                          Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Brian,

I'm interested too, if it is the 8-9 November or around then I can plan towards going to it. I don't do Federal much, but I have been wanting to do a good Federal LH. I'll keep updated by the emails.
                            [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
                            S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
                            I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
                            they looked so hacked, and answered back
                            never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

All,

I am definitely interested in a L.H. at Negley. If the park is keen for a good program then great. Just watch the '09 dates please. I know that The Piney Woods event in Lousiana is in March and Bummer is in Mid November.
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X