Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Garrison 1862

Greetings,

I would like to invite everyone to participate in a garrison event in Mississippi in 2009. The event is called Winter Garrison 1862. There will be drill and earthwork construction to occupy everyone's time, and there will be a ration issue based upon the time and place depicted. Civilians are welcome. Some event details are still in the planning stages, but I will post more information as everything gets hammered down.

Date(s): 23-25 January 2009
    Event Name: Winter Garrison 1862
    Description: This will be a garrison Living History event portraying the 25th Indiana Infantry going into garrison near the Davis Mills railroad bridge. The unit will strengthen their position and drill in preparation of a possible Confederate attack.
    Host: Burton’s Sugar Farm
    Capacity: 100 or less
    Comments: Participants are encouraged to bring shovels, axes, wedges, hammers, rope, saws, and any other period tools for construction of earthworks.
    Overall Event Point of Contact: John Spain at confederate314@yahoo.com or on this forum.
    Event Type: Semi-immersion garrison
    Impression(s): Federal infantry
    Website: http://www.geocities.com/newburnblue..._Garrison.html
    Preservation Component: Proceeds go to Verandah/Curlee House in Corinth, MS
    John Spain
    4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Re: Winter Garrison 1862

A few things I forgot to add:

The deadline for registration is January 1, 2009.

I would like to put out a call to anyone who would be interested in coordinating a civilian impression for this event. I have little knowledge on civilian matters, so a helping hand would be most welcome.

Finally, the landowner is attempting to organize a tour of the original earthworks at Davis Mills. If possible, I will be taking pictures of the works, the placement of the old mill, and the railroad bridge. I hope to be able to incorporate some of the details into our construction work.
    John Spain

sigpic
    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

I've made a few changes to the website. A scenario description is included. Also, after additional research, I have decided to add a small contingent of troops portraying Confederate guerillas. In the letters of Pvt. Joseph Saberton (who was at Davis Mills), he makes reference to them having issues with guerillas. Please see the website for changes:

John Spain

sigpic

Comment

Just a reminder to anyone considering this event. There's only 25 days left to send in your registration.
        John Spain

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X