Potomac Legion COI April 17-19, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Potomac Legion COI April 17-19, 2009

Event homework and information is beginning to show up on the event listserver. Are you registered?:D
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
    Past President Potomac Legion
    Long time member Columbia Rifles
    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Five weeks out

Comment

Friends,
        If you need any info, feel free to drop me a line. I can send you a copy of the registration form if you like or you can download it from the event website:

Just go to the "Files" section and click on "Registration Form". By the way, you'll be considered a volunteer for AHEC while you're there, so you will be covered by the Army for insurance. If you've never been to the AHEC site you're in for a real treat. It's a very interesting place, and an ideal location for a camp of instruction, complete with Civil War-style winter huts! Plus, there will be artillery there and the big boom boys are going to provide hands-on artillery instruction to those so inclined!
        -Joe Bordonaro
        beatlefans1@verizon.net
        Last edited by pvtbordonaro; 03-12-2009, 06:23 PM.
        Joe Bordonaro

Comment

If you need a registration form, let me know by e-mail or PM. I'll get you one.

Is there a bugler out there interested in this event?

Comment

Folks,

It's time to shut down postmark registration as of 8 April 2009. Working with AHEC has been an interesting experience to say the least. Every site's policies and procedures are different. This is a "new" site for us, although some member units have been here several times.

Of the past twelve COIs, one was at the WW2 reenactment site in Odessa, NY; one was near Burkittsville, MD, one was at the CW Museum in Harrisburg PA in the form of "Camp Curtin," and the other nine were at Fort Ontario in Oswego, NY. This is the first one to have the PL label on it, as a PL produced event. Nice.

We'll be covering the following, plus a few other items. Some of these topics we haven't covered since 2003, and others are standard fare:

Fall in For Roll Call
            Form & Organize the Company
            School of the Soldier
            Artillery Familiarization for Infantrymen
            How to Act Safety Around Artillery
            School of the Campaigner, Part I: Sleeping & Shelter
            School of the Campaigner, Part II Subsistence
            Basic Bugle Call Recognition
            Differences Between Picket Duty and Camp Police Guard
            School of the Company
            Skirmishing

Yes, that's a lot to cram into a weekend. The artillery education could come in handy at three events later this year. I'm tickled pink we have 26 registered and paid thus far, and that's enough to have some fun, and some good learning experiences. Homework assignment #4 has been posted, and #5 will follow soon.

Still sitting on the fence? Email me for a registration form at Heath9999@aol.com
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Had a great time at the PL COI 2009, held at the US AHEC.

It's a rare oppurtunity that I take to wear a blue uniform...and having such good people around for the duration of the weekend, made this achievable.

Drill: OK...I've never been a fan of Hardee's Manual, and now after having been exposed to Casey's Manual...I can now say I am even less a fan of his...LONG LIVE Gilham's Manual for the Volunteer and Militia!!!

Quarters: Having the oppurtunity to sleep in well constructed Winter Cabins was pretty cool...complete with proper chinking.

Field Craft: It's an even rarer thing to have an event where a group of soldiers can practice their field-craft, and in fine weather...Charles, IMHBAO...this MADE the event...we all get to drill, it's something that we have to keep up on, because the soldiers constantly did this...but frequently we don't get to work on field-craft, and talk about it; what works, what doesn't...(take a look at the campaigner events for the last 4 years, some people excel in this area...many fail)...the humor Charles brought to this afternoon tasks, made it pleasant and enjoyable...and heck, I think a few of us even learned something...

A special thanks to the men and women of team kabuki...who made sure there was plenty of good eating for the all the soldiers...
              • what kind of poridge was that we had Saturday morning for breakfast (I noticed the dried apples in it)?? A little bit-o-honey made this delightful. Soft Bread...

• Saturday Dinner: Saurekraut, Pork, Potatoes, Pickled Eggs, Chow-Chow, Pickled Cabbage, Soft Bread....MMMMMmmmmm

• Saturday Supper: Chicken Stew...Chow-Chow, Pickled Cabbage, Soft Bread

• Saturday discussion on supplements: Poundcake, Indian Pudding, Molasses Cakes, PIEs (yes multiple PIEs!!!)...and some "tart" cider.

• Sunday Breakfast: See top of list...somehow there was some pie remaining Sunday morning...Petey and Byron didn't move quite quick enough in polishing off their plates of it...for a moment, it looked like there might have been some trouble, when a few noticed what little bit of crust the two of them were finishing off as soldiers filtered into the mess...fortunately, the situation was diffused and no-one other than the red-man was harmed in the process.

THANKS to the Potomac Legion and Team Kabuki for a welcome refreshment in how COIs are run!!!

Paul B.

We learned...and had fun...
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Paul,
                I believe that Saturday morning's gruel was made from farina and dried fruit. Really not bad stuff. The Pretty Girls + one "Bull" did a fine job of the food.

Cheers,
                Joseph Caridi
                Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

Paul,

How nice it was not to cook or haul water. Somehow you missed Doug Oakes as the Scottish Water Boy with his best friend "Jimmy." Kyle Russell, our 24th Iowa bugler so recently in "oh-so-parched" Louisiana, was a great addition. Lots of good folks contributed to this one, as usual.

That reminds me to send out a little love note on the registrant listserver, too.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Did anyone mention it didn't rain?

Comment

Yes Grump...it didn't rain. Let a decree go out, that on the day of April 19th in the Year of Lord 2009, that David "Grumpy" Towsen is no longer the head rain Jonah. That upon the completeion of the PL COI not one drop of rain had fallen on the heads of the men under his command.

Cheers,
                      Joseph Caridi
                      Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                        Yes Grump...it didn't rain. Let a decree go out, that on the day of April 19th in the Year of Lord 2009, that David "Grumpy" Towsen is no longer the head rain Jonah. That upon the completeion of the PL COI not one drop of rain had fallen on the heads of the men under his command
                        So Say We All!
                        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Grumpy Rain Jonah Mutual Appreciation Society,

In addition to the sunny weather, Grumpy's boy bagged a 17-pound gobbler while hunting with his uncle, so life was good all around. Josh will remember where he was and who he was with when he shot that first darn fine turkey, so....yeah, I'm rubbing it in just a little bit, Dave. :p

Thanks to all who attended. We still have a couple more posts for the event listserver, and then we look forward to the other half of the PL battalion cranking out the 2010 version, perhaps during sunny weekend come May 2010.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the 1864 Overland Campaign event in a few weeks. I hope the weather is just as good....maybe a wee bit cooler.
                          Last edited by Charles Heath; 04-26-2009, 01:11 PM. Reason: Josh's turkey had a beard
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                          X