Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIG Shiloh Canceled

Gentlemen,
    In June of 2007, some months after SCAR Living History at Shiloh, I approached the Battalion staff with the proposal to do an event on the site, since it had been since 2002 that the WIG hosted a Confederate Living History on the site. The event was passed at the meeting in December as the WIG Primary event of the year. To make things interesting, an adjunct was to be added with a march from Corinth to Shiloh following the route of the “Bloody” Sixth Mississippi. After 2 National Park Living Histories with low turnout, it is clear the men are voting their interest with their feet and not showing up. Based on this the WIG command candidates conducted a phone survey and email survey. The results indicated a majority of the Battalion members were just not willing to participate in a Battalion level living history at Shiloh. While this no doubt makes some mad, this chapter is not closed, however, we came to the conclusion based on the returns that this event should be canceled based on lack of interest. If anyone is disappointed it is me, this was my idea from the time I had the chance to put Colonel Thornton's headstone back in place after Katrina destroyed the cemetery, and it was my motion that killed the effort for the battalion.

Any other year I would saddle the responsibility and host a smaller event like we did with Fort Donelson, Fort Gaines or Vicksburg, but as I am getting married in June of next year, that was not possible. The voice of the battalion spoke in a majority that they were ready for something else. The battalion staff and Company commanders are aware of this and we hope that with this change everyone supports the next event on our radar. Gas may be dropping, but your time is valuable and we want you all to get “more bang for your buck.”

Keep checking back and emailing, we will return to Shiloh for that march one day, we just need full the full support of the Battalion in order to make it happen and do it right. The 6th Mississippi went from 400 men down to 125 by the end of the day, to do it right I feel we need that 125 represented, and that takes time. We owe you all a great event, and will settle for nothing less.

See you all in the field soon,
    Patrick Landrum, Co D Commanding
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: WIG Shiloh Canceled

I want to thank Pat for making this announcement. He had put forth quite a bit of effort in the research of the 6th Mississippi for this event and asked to be allowed to make the cancelation announcement. As he said based on the survey we conducted (about 70% said they were not coming or were not excited about the Shiloh event) and the experience with the two Living History events the Battalion held this year, the level of expected support just did not warrant us continuing with the effort to host this event. While we hate to do this it seems like the best course for the Battalion and our resources.

Though we will not be using it next year you can bet we will sometime in the future. Shiloh does have a special place in the WIG's history and in many of our hearts. I am sure we will return at some date when we can do it right with the support of the entire battalion.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Whenever this one comes about, I'm there.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Ditto what Mike said.

It was my desire to participate in an event at Shiloh that got me interested enough to get into this hobby in the first place.

I plan to go this next April in any case. If there is no event, I'll wear modern clothes. If there is any type of event I can don the wool for, I'll participate.
        Ron Mueller
        Illinois
        New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
        Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
        Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I'll be up for it when it gets re-scheduled. I still haven't had the chance to represent Shiloh wearing a Johnny impression.
          Andy Ackeret
          A/C Staff
          Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Well I won't lie. I am really dissapointed as I had wanted to do this program since I heard about it. Count me in for when it gets done, looks like I will have to go to the SAC now.

Comment

Well I'm bummed. It was one of two events next year that I was planning to be at, fo sho.

Damn.
              Bill Backus

Comment

I really hate that it was moved to the right. My oldest boy has it burned in his mind to do it. "Build it and we will come"

Comment

I was lookin forward to it myself. I have the Reeves print of the "Bloody Sixth" at Shiloh in our family room, so I was pumped to do it. I'll be there when you have a new date. For now worry about getting hitched next year.
                  sigpic
                  Grandad Wm. David Lee
                  52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                  - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Sad to hear but I guess Understandable.I too had slated this one on my radar since my whole of 08 was changed dramaticaly.
                    But, Better things will come of it,I will be there when it happens in the future.( I too had started in private to research the 6th Miss. But its all good for me for it.)
                    Onward to 2009 and whatever may come next.
                    Warren Hook
                    First Sibley Mess
                    New Madrid Guards
                    WIG

"...And to Missouri we
                    Extend both heart and hand
                    And welcome her a sister
                    Of our Confederate band
                    Tho surrounded by oppression
                    No one dare deter
                    Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
                    Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

Hmmm, Perhaps it should be done anyway, even if not a WIG event? Perhaps someone could take the reins so Pat wouldn't have to worry about busting his butt putting it together when he's got other things on his mind. Just thinking. Discussion?
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

The only way I could pull it off, is if it was limited in size, and I wouldn't mind that. The historical information is on a file on my computer, so that part is done. The only other step is logistics- medical/water vehicles for the march. If there is interest lets hear some confirmations and I may possibly change my mind.
                        Last edited by coastaltrash; 10-22-2008, 10:36 PM.
                        Patrick Landrum
                        Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat, the last time I walked the park was with the Boy Scouts....and then it was a 7 mile hike. I am like you, folks may have let their feet do the talking.
                          HOWEVER, the Independent Rifles and the 16th LA have always worked well together...maybe we could pull it off? If not this year next?

Comment

I think the idea of a company level event is a great one. As Pat said most of the hard work is done.
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                            [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                            [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I would still be attend a CS Shiloh event in 2009 if it were a company level event.
                              Andy Ackeret
                              A/C Staff
                              Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Working...
                              X