Westville workday/event Sept 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westville workday/event Sept 2009

The major event for 2010 at Westville is locked and planned for October 20-24, 2010 and will be Struggles for Secession, Westville, GA 1863. The first day of that event will be a work day as well. But, for 2009 there is also a workday and smaller event planned.

A group of individuals will meet to work on two preservation projects at Westville 1850 the last weekend in September, 2009. Participants may arrive on Thursday morning the 24th, and start work upon arrival. Depending on what time you arrive, you will likely have to wait until visitors leave at approximately 5:00 p.m. to get your vehicle in to unload, however, I encourage you to find me, sign in, and start work upon arrival so that we can hopefully finish the two projects by Sunday. You may leave on Sunday at whatever time you need to. It goes without saying that the repairs will have to be done responsibly and in a manner keeping with the period structures.

Students will tour the village on Friday. A few simple stations will be set up for them to see, however, the primary focus of the day will be the period repairs being made. Participants should plan to work in period attire, therefore, wear whatever you least fear soiling and/or bring a work apron to wear to protect your clothing. The village will be closed to the public on Sunday.

The first project is the restoration of the West cabin which served as the tavern for Sparks of Secession last October. Volunteers have already checked the beams underneath the floor and determined them to be sturdy, therefore, work can proceed inside repairing damaged flooring. Broken window panes need to be replaced. The second half of the cabin has been cleared out and made ready for work to begin cleaning and repairing it as well. This will increase the workable space in this building to twice what was available last October. We will also be building stairs for the back door, and patching the front porch as needed. The site is having lumber cut from trees they have cut in clearing the back of the property.

The second project is the restoration of the church inside the village. Again, broken window panes need to be repaired to seal out rain and the elements, and a leak has to be repaired in the ceiling. We will also paint the outside of the church. The site will have equipment on hand for use so that we may reach the highest areas of the outside walls, and they will provide the paint.

In addition to these two projects all the structures in the village need a good cleaning. Those willing to help should bring cleaning rags, brooms, dustpans, etc. and be prepared to take special care of the artifacts in the houses while working. Again, you may want to bring an apron to protect your clothing.

Before September I will post exactly what tools and supplies will be needed and what the site will supply such as paint brushes, buckets, nails, etc.

If the repairs to the inside of the West cabin are finished by Friday afternoon Ed Henry and Andy Shogren will operate the tavern on Friday and Saturday nights. I will announce plans for meals closer to event time.

The Sparks of Secession website is still up if anyone needs to refer to the information on it. It is slowly being updated for Struggles of Secession - Westville, GA 1863. www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar/WestvilleIndex

If you are willing to help with the work weekend please contact me and get your name on the list along with what tools you may be able to bring to use. You may reach me at thistledewbooks@comcast.net

Victoria Rumble,

Thistle Dew Books

Where History and Fun are Not Mutually Exclusive!

Jim Butler

Re: Westville workday/event Sept 2009

For the Westville workday event we will work in our modern work clothes on friday and Sat during the day and our period clothes by supper.
    We will be portraying the town during Sept 1859. This event does not offer meals, so you are on you own to bring PERIOD foods and prepare them.
    Cook fires are at approvde locations only.
    Nuckolls tavern will be open on fri and Sat night. When not working, we will be in first person for the rest of the weekend. Your role still must be approved by Vickie Rumble and Jim Butler, but you are free to develop them. There will also be no currency system. We tentatively have planned a flea market to sell your used or new gear. The reenactor refuge and most of the buildings will be available to the reencators (locations approved by Vickie Rumble). Please just bring your own money.
    The 2010 event website is under construction at www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar/WestvilleIndex
    Note that the 2010 website will change sometime prior to Dec 1st 2009 as geocities is going out of business. It will still be viewable after that, but not update. We will publish the new site when ready.
    Right now we have about 25 people for the workdays on Sept 25-27th, 2009.
    We really can us eyour help with our projects! Donate your time an talents to the site. We will also have a workday on Wed at the 2010 event prior to the event start. You can bring modern tools, brushes, scrapers, etc...you don't need to use period tools or period clothes for the workday projects.

Regards & Thanks,
    Jim Butler
    Jim Butler

Comment

Here is quick video from the 2008 event:

Jim Butler
      Jim Butler

Comment

Thanks, Jim!

Who shot that? I don't recall seeing a camera, much less a video camera.
        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Joe,

Anne Burgamy and myself shot it. The quality is shaky because it was a priority to keep it out of sight and use it infrequently. Wish we could have captured more, but yet we did not want to ruin peoples moments either.

Jim Butler
          Jim Butler

Comment

Re: Westville workday/event Sept 2009 - Update Aug 9

Subject: Westville work weekend

> Folks,
            >
            > Below is the roster for the Westville Work Weekend, Sept 24-27th, 2009.
            > We have room for much more help. There is no set scenarios or currency
            > system, just a work weekend with some reenacting thrown in. We will
            > portray 1859 Westville, GA. We will arrive and start work on Thurs thru
            > Sat on these three projects:
            >
            > 1. Scrap and Paint the Church:
            > If you have extra brushes or scrapers or professional equipment, please
            > bring it. But, the site will supply paint and scafoolding as well. We most
            > volunteers for this.
            >
            > 2. Repair the Harris Cabin (Tavern): Andy Shogren, Ed Henry, Gary
            > Bergstrom are heading up this effort. They will be replacing the flooring
            > and building a set of back steps as well. They may need 1-2 others to
            > help here.
            >
            > 3. Clearing, cleaning , repairing Cabin: We will also be clearing debri,
            > sweeping and cleaning another cabin near the lower farmhouse. We will need
            > 2-3 volunteers for this.
            >
            > - Please let me know whcih activity you are signing up for.
            > - We will work in modern clothes until 3 pm and then switch to our period
            > clothes and relax and reenacting in teh vIllage.
            > - This site will feed us at the Kaiser House or some of us are going to go
            > to the farmhouse and cook a mepriod meal as well. Please sign up for that
            > as well if you wish to take part...it will bring period potluck.
            > - You can stay at any open building or porch you like as long as all can
            > agree to it.
            > - Knucolls Tavern will be open for business Fri and Sat night.
            > - We will have a swap meet if reenacting items (uniforms, clothing, etc)
            > you wish to sell in the General Store. You may also feel free sell any
            > historical books, tapes or history related used items.
            > -We will also have a group discussion for the 2010 Westville event on
            > friday night at the tavern from 8-9 pm.

List of Particpants signed up:
            >
            > Linda Nyland
            >
            > Bob McLendon
            >
            > Patrick Peterson
            >
            > Terre Lawson
            >
            > Diane Gleason, maybe
            >
            > Joey Gangler
            >
            > Beverly & Mark Simpson and their daughter
            >
            > Ken & Chris Giddens
            >
            > Ed & Dylan Henry
            >
            > Andy Shogren
            >
            > Mike Kirby
            >
            > Marvin Greer
            >
            > Gary Hurst
            >
            > Anne Burgamy
            >
            > Vickie Rumble
            >
            > Jim Butler
            >
            > Patrick McCalister
            >
            > Gary Bergstrom
            >
            > Hal Merritt

> Doc Bruce

> Pete Paolillo
            >
            > PARTICIPATING IN GROUP MEAL FOR DINNERS:
            >
            > Patrick Peterson
            >
            > Linda Nyland
            >
            > Anne Burgamy
            >
            > Vickie Rumble
            >
            > Gary Hurst
            >
            > Jim Butler
            >
            Last edited by Jim of The SRR; 08-09-2009, 11:00 AM.
            Jim Butler

Comment

Folks,

The Westville work weekend will be here soon. Here is some updates for the event:

- Most of us will be there sometime on Thursday and ready to work Friday morning. If you even wish to come Wed night, I can likely arrange that as well.

- All efforts will be focused on getting the church painted. We do have two other lesser projects, but the man-power for those is covered (repairing the Harris cabin-tavern and cleaning out another cabin for use are already covered). The site will provide paint, buckets, scrapers and brushes, but please feel free to bring your own tools and brushes as well.

- The site will feed us starting friday at the Kaiser House. However, we will have a period meal on Saturday night at the Farmhouse (where we ate last year). Everyone will be asked to bring some raw material to put in for a stew. All will be asked to help in the prep and clean-up.

- We will work in modern clothes during the day and knock-off in the late afternoon and change into our period clothes.

- The Tavern will be open for business as well (So bring a few extra bucks for refreshments).

- Basically, it is first-come-first-serve to which building you wish to stay in. Keep in mind that NO fires are allowed in the hearths (except the kitchen at the farmhouse where we will cook Sat night). Please bring any period bedding you will need (mattress tick, period cot, blankets, etc). The beds in the homes are not usable.

- This is a great oppotunity to discuss the 2010 event and discuss possible roles, impressions, clothing, ideas, etc. I even hope we can put on a simple tableux for everyone.

- We will still follow all the dress guidelines posted on the website at www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar/WestvilleIndex

- If you have still not signed up with us, please contact me or Vickie Rumble at unionguy1@comcast.net or thistledewbooks@comcast.net

- Below is the roster I have thus far. If I missed your name, please let me know asap.

Thanks so much for volunteering for this effort!

Jim Butler

Roster
              Bergstrom, Gary
              Bruce, 'Doc' Jim
              Burgany, Anne
              Butler, Jim
              Giddens, Cris
              Giddens, Ken
              Gleason, Diane
              Greer, Marvin
              Henry, Dylan
              Henry, Ed
              Hurst, Gary
              Kirby, Mike
              Lameroux, Ross
              Lawson, Terre
              McCallister, Patrick
              McClendon, Bob
              Merritt, Hal
              Nyland, Linda
              Paolillio, Pete
              Peterson, Patrick
              Ruff, Chris
              Rumble, Vickie
              Shogren, Andy
              Simpson, Beverly
              Simpson, Mark
              Jim Butler

Comment

Invitation to the friends of Knuckolls Tavern

Hello folks! The Yarrborough family and Knuckolls Tavern would like to invite our friends to the work day at our Westville Village. We need your help! After work is done we invite all volunteers to to visit the Tavern. Come and relax and enjoy the ambiance at the expanded Tavern. We will have libations,cigars, a menu ,and the hospitality of the Yarborugh family for your pleasure. Hope to see you there!

Your obediant servants,
                John Yarborough
                Thomas Yarborough

Ed Henry stooge4@aol.com

Comment

I will definately be there Sir, after a long day of painting, I will enjoy the time there! If you need some help at the tavern just let me know:D
                  [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                  ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

If your cool with us coming my family would like to participate......

Comment

Chris,

That would be great. Just email me all the names of who is attending so I can get them on the roster.

Also, Vickie has arranged for us to have 1859 Oktoberfest type meal on Saturday night. This meal will cost $5 each and you can bring the money to me when you arrive. You must be on the roster and let me know if you don't want to take part.

Here is the update roster:
                      Barber, Mark
                      Berezuk, Peter
                      Bergstrom, Gary
                      Bonifay, Sue
                      Bruce, 'Doc' Jim
                      Burgany, Anne
                      Butler, Jim
                      Giddens, Cris
                      Giddens, Ken
                      Gleason, Diane
                      Graffweg, Gary
                      Greer, Marvin
                      Henry, Dylan
                      Henry, Ed
                      Hurst, Gary
                      Kirby, Mike
                      Lameroux, Ross
                      Lawson, Terre
                      Mattocks, Chip
                      Mattocks, Kris
                      McCallister, Patrick
                      Merritt, Hal
                      Myers, Diana
                      Nyland, Linda
                      Paolillio, Pete
                      Peterson, Patrick
                      Rideout, CJ
                      Ruff, Chris
                      Rumble, Vickie
                      Sanderson, Brian
                      Shogren, Andy
                      Simpson, Beverly
                      Simpson, Mark

Thanks,
                      Jim Butler
                      Jim Butler

Comment

Re: Westville work weekend - final update

Here is an update for our work weekend at Westville for Sept 24-27th.

- The site has agreed to all the items we need to get our three projects completed. I have broken down the teams below.
                        - If you are not physically able to do the work and want to be put on the Lemonade team, please let me know. Don't be embarrassed by this and don't let it discourage you from attending. We want everyone to have fun and we will enjoy your company as well.
                        - Each group has a team leader. Please stay focused on your project and listen to the team leader.
                        - We aren't going to expect miracles from people, do what you can and we will achieve what we can.
                        - We will start some preliminary work on Thursday, if you can arrive on Thursday. I will be there by noon on Thurs. Pressure washing the church is the priority for Thursday.
                        - Friday we start full swing at 8 am. We will work up thru Sunday at noon and just get done what we can do.
                        - We will knock off sometime in the late afternoon, change into our period clothes and relax and reenact like its 1859. We will use the same dress standards listed at www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar/WestvilleIndex\
                        - You may wish to bring a couple of sets of modern clothing. One set for each work day.
                        - The tavern will be open friday and saturday night with refreshments and light fare. Please bring your money for the tavern (cash only).
                        - Please feel free to bring any tools you might think will assist with the job. If you have a mask, please bring one as well. The site will provide all the paint, brushes, scrapers, pressure washer, hoses, cut lumber, etc.
                        - Each person can stay in whichever home they wish. Do not use any of the original furnishings in the home to sleep or sit on. So, please bring your sleeping gear.
                        - The site will have some fresh straw for us as well to use in bed ticks.
                        - The site will feed us lunch during the day at the Kiser House. You are on your own for any additional meals or food.
                        - Everyone is on their own to provide additional meals for themselves. We may be able to use the hearth at the cookhouse.
                        - Options: Michelle’s Restaurant on the town square (limited hours), Kaiser house in the village (provide us lunch and otherwsie only takes cash), BBQ place in town, bringing cooler with cold foods, fires outdoors to prepare food, or pot-lucking together.
                        - There are no decent store within 20 miles Lumpkin/Westville. So, PLEASE plan accordingly and supply yourself ahead of time.
                        - Cell phone coverage is spotty at Westville. My cell # is 678-428-3700 and the sites # is 229-838-6310.

Work Groups:
                        PAINT THE CHURCH - supervisor: Gary Graffweg
                        Bailey, Jill
                        Barber, Mark
                        Bruce, 'Doc' Jim
                        Burgany, Anne
                        Burns, Emily
                        Giddens, Ken
                        Gleason, Diane
                        Graffweg, Gary
                        Jett, Judy
                        Kirby, Mike
                        Lameroux, Ross
                        Lawson, Terre
                        Mattocks, Chip
                        Mattocks, Kris
                        McCallister, Patrick
                        Merritt, Hal
                        Myers, Diana
                        Nyland, Linda
                        Olviera, Susan
                        Peterson, Patrick
                        Ruff, Chris
                        Rumble, Vickie
                        Sanderson, Brian
                        Simpson, Beverly
                        Simpson, Cami

FIX THE CABIN (Tavern): - Supervisor: Gary Bergstrom
                        Bergstrom, Gary
                        Henry, Ed
                        Paolillio, Pete
                        Shogren, Andy

CLEAR/CLEAN THE CABINS (lower ones): - supervisor: Jim Butler
                        Berezuk, Peter
                        Butler, Jim (Thurs-church
                        Greer, Marvin
                        Hurst, Gary

LEMONADE CREW
                        Bonifay, Sue
                        Giddens, Cris

Thanks,
                        Jim Butler
                        Jim Butler

Comment

A tremendous thanks to all that came out and helped at the Westville workweekend! The site was VERY appreciative of our efforts and you can all be proud of your work. Despite the heat, here is what we all accomplished:

- Scraped, Primed and Painted the church 3/4 of the way. The site will finish the balance of the work. This was big undertaking and despite almost nothing being done before our arrival, much was completed.

- Replaced and repaired the floorboards in the West Cabin. Added a set of stairs to the back of the cabin.

- Cleared out the two slave cabins near the Harris Farmhouse. Junk was throuwn out, the cabins cleaned out and one was used for storage and the other can now be used for interpretation and by reenactors. Also, indian relics were reboxed and removed.

Thanks for everyones tremendous efforts in pulling this off! I have attached some pics as well.

Thanks,
                          Jim Butler
                          Attached Files
                          Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                          X