Hopewell Furnace - After Event Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopewell Furnace - After Event Report

Hopewell Furnace 2009 or “A Gathering Before the Storm” ranks up there with one of the most enjoyable events I have attended. This event, which is in its second year, takes place in a very beautiful historic national park site (www.nps.gov/hofu/index.htm). This industrial village interprets the iron industry that was so prevalent in this part of southeastern Pennsylvania. Having a pre-war civilian-only event in such a well preserved historic setting is such a treat! The opportunities for domestic, agricultural, and industrial impressions are vast. There are onsite accommodations in period buildings and working hearths on which to cook meals. The event combines first and third person opportunities, so there really is something for everyone.

We arrived at Hopewell on Friday to tour the village and get reoriented. The event went “live” on Saturday morning, so we spent Friday evening chatting as our “present selves” and getting things prepared for the weekend. After a participant meeting to go over details, most of us went out to eat a great local restaurant. My family stayed off-site at a hotel in Morgantown. Although there were onsite accommodations, we felt it was easier to stay at a hotel with our 2½ -year-old twins. That’s the other great thing about this event…if you want to stay in the village, you can, but if you prefer to stay off-site, there are options for that, too!

Saturday and Sunday the village of Hopewell was brought to life. My contribution was to “portray” a mother of twin toddlers, which I think I did quite well (I have much practice in my everyday life!). My view of the goings-on in the village was limited, as my focus was on my little ones, but I think that is a very authentic experience in itself. One of the tenant houses was occupied by Mark and Faith Hintzen and they generously shared their space with us. The children busied themselves playing with the toys on “display” in the tenant house and with one of their favorite games – opening and shutting the door! Mrs. Hintzen sewed on her period sewing machine and entertained many visitors (spectators) throughout the day. Others participants busied themselves cooking meals for the group, chopping wood, quilting, sewing, and a variety of other activities.

We all took our meals together at the boarding house. Polly and Don Steenhagen (who portrayed the owners of the boarding house) did an amazing job of keeping this whole process organized and providing us with delicious meals. The boarding house was “home base” for several of the participants and became the center of life in the village for the weekend.

Several of the men “worked” in the casting house at the furnace. In order to help with the casting demonstrations, they had to observe a certain number of demonstrations before they were allowed to participate. These demonstrations are run by the National Park staff and because of safety regulations, they have to be selective on what volunteers can do. Once the observations were completed, “our” men could participate in a casting of a stove door and even got to keep their first creations!

Other men worked on whitewashing the spring house using a period recipe for whitewash. Park service volunteers in period dress worked the livestock and ran the blacksmith shop. There was much activity throughout the village.

Our group did a mixture of first person and third person. One of the “internal” agreements at the event is that when in the lower part of the village (near the boarding house), we were to be in first person…over the bridge leading to the furnace was the third person area. This worked out well throughout the weekend. Although much of my time was spent in “no man’s land” on the bridge itself, because my children were very amused by throwing rocks into the stream!

One of the highlights of the event was the arrival of a “stranger” in town. This man truly was a stranger because no one (even in the third person area) confessed to knowing who he was. He was mysterious and a bit “creepy.” He appeared on Saturday afternoon and was present throughout the rest of the event. We surmised that he was slave catcher, although he was very careful about sharing too much information. The fact that he might somehow endanger “Mrs. Fairfax,” a free black woman in the village, caused everyone to rally around to protect her. He played his “part” extremely well and it was not until the end of the event that we found out he was neighbor of Terri Lehmer! She never let on that she knew him and played up the fact that he was “stranger” very well. Well played! It was a great first person experience for us all.

I think my kids, although loud and rambunctious, added some additional “life” to the village. This was their second Hopewell event and they are becoming seasoned veterans. They really enjoyed the freedom of being able to explore the village and I enjoyed (and very much appreciated) all the help that everyone gave to me. They “helped” stack firewood, “helped” their father with the whitewashing, and “helped” feed the sheep apples. They even did well with their first person, except at dinner on Saturday night when they demanded… “I want to go to McDonalds!” Oh well…we worked around it.

I can’t wait for next year! I hope that anyone who is interested in a pre-war, civilian event with great opportunities will join us. I will be helping Terri Lehmer organize next year’s event, so stay tuned for more information. The date is tentatively set for the first weekend in October 2010. Please let me know if you have any questions about the event and/or if you are interested in attending next year.

In the meantime…enjoy the photos from Hopewell 2009:

Jessica Craig
    Last edited by jcraig; 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM.
    Jessica Craig
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society (AGSAS)

Re: Hopewell Furnace - After Event Report

Jessica

Thanks for the AAR on that, and I had to chuckle when you mentioned the stranger in the town.

Hopewell is a great place and we do a couple of different events there to try to bring the village to life.
    Greg Bullock
    [URL="http://www.pridgeonslegion.com/group/9thvacoe"]Bell's Rifles Mess[/URL]
    Member, [URL="http://www.civilwar.org/"]Civil War Preservation Trust[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/index.php"]Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation[/URL]

Comment

Sad to say, but I live only about 8 miles from the furnace and heard nor read anything in the locals that this event was going to happen. I spent many a summer volunteering there in my youth and apprenticed as a collier and a moulder. I had started learning the blacksmith trade, but got too old and too interested in cars and women to finish.

I would have loved to stop by and gawk at you folks! It's wonderful to hear that they are starting to use the place for more than just self-guided tours!
      Mark A. Pflum
      Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
      Member:
      CMH
      AHA
      Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Mark,

Maybe you can join us there next year. Plans are already in the works for next year's event. We will post information on this forum and elsewhere to do a better job of getting the word out.

Parts of this video were filmed at the 2008 event and I think it was shown on local television the week before the event. That's all I know about local "advertisement" of the event. We'll talk to the park about more promotion next year. This year, during the event, they had really high visitation numbers which made them very happy!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Jess Craig
        Jessica Craig
        Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society (AGSAS)

Comment

Re: Hopewell Furnace

Thanks Jess!

I was at an auction in Honey Brook this Friday (inst.) and ran into 2 of the colliers from Mr. Bird's plantation. It looks like they are going to put my rusty self to work so as to knock the shine back onto me! Strange the way things turn sometimes, is it not?!:wink_smil

I do hope to see you folks the next time this event comes around.

Thanks for the video link! I hope that young lad didn't scorch the apple butter too bad. You stir the paddle in a circular motion, else the bottom be burnt! I spent many a day shaking hands with the sassafrass and getting told how to do it just so. (sounds dirty, but it ain't) I still have that paddle and kettle, but haven't had the chance to use it since my Grammom passed away. Both items have been handed down through the family for so many generations, we've lost track . . .

Have you ever had the chance to visit the Joanna Furnace down Morgantown, PA way?
          Mark A. Pflum
          Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
          Member:
          CMH
          AHA
          Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Working...
          X