Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skirmish at Unison AAR

Hey All,

I'm still too bushed and sore to think clearly enough to post a full AAR, but I wanted to thank all the guys who put this event together, and all the folks who came out to support it!

We had over 30 mounted men with top notch impressions, and a small bunch of VERY hardy Union infantry who marched the whole way along with us and proved invaluable support.

Thanks to Todd Kearn and John Sweeney of the Valley Light Horse for securing the land, and managing local logistics. Thanks to Rob Bruno of the 1st Maryland for managing registration and thanks to Jerry Todd of the 1st Maine for hosting the website.

We had one guy drive in from Iowa, and one from Texas for this gig each driving over 20 hours, and a crew of the Critters from Tennessee who all helped to make this the best cavalry event of 2009!

I'll post a full report tomorrow, but as Charles Heath used to say, I had fun, how about you?

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry
    Tom Craig

Re: Skirmish at Unison AAR

Missed sat but did sunday. Hardest I've ridden since last year's Unison to Welbourne races last year. Glad you Tennessee boys where on my side this year.

Spurvis
    On board Whoooah Dammit

Comment

Re: Skirmish at Unison AAR

Gents,

I've got some rest now, although I am still a bit sore from all the riding that we did.

This was the 4th year that we've done some version of this event, and I can say that every year has been different, and every year has been excellent in its own way.

The focus for this year's event was marching and fighting in the footsteps of the men of 1862. We skirmished in the same fields, along the same stone walls, and down the same roads that they did. It doesn't hurt that it is some of the most beautiful, prisitine, and horse friendly country in the USA!

This year we had a shade over 30 mounted men with kick ass impressions (both blue and grey). We had guys from the Valley Light Horse, the 1st Maryland, the Critter Company, and the 1st Maine. We even had two fellas that drove more than 20 hours to get to the event; Dan Chmelar from Iowa and Charles Bradford from Texas...that's what I call dedication!

I have to give a nod to the small band of guys from the CVG who came out and made the entire march on foot. Those guys covered over 10 miles of ground and kept up with us on horseback, and were always there to help pry the Rebs off of the stone walls they loved so much. You guys were a hardworking, but soldierly crew and we'd be happy to have you back any time.

All in all this event featured some of the most authentic cavalry action that I have had the pleasure to be a part of. If you are into cavalry, and you weren't there, then I feel sorry for you!

Take care,
      Tom Craig
      1st Maine Cavalry
      Tom Craig

Comment

Working...
      X