Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Assault on Allegheny - July 2009, website open

Originally posted by BobDenton37thVA View Post
    No Tom, I regret that we are not planning on cavalry.
    Too bad, Dabney's report was pretty interesting and could have been fun to recreate:

Report of Lieut. C. E. Dabney, C. S. Cavalry.
    Headquarters Cavalry Camp,
    Alleghany Summit, December 15, 1861.
    Sir: I beg leave to report that on the morning of the 13th instant I caused my command to turn out immediately I received, intelligence of the enemy's having driven in our pickets and held it in readiness for orders.

After remaining in this position for nearly two hours the enemy suddenly appeared on the crest of the hill on which the Thirty-first Virginia Regiment was encamped, and commenced a rapid fire of musketry. My position was in full range and my men very much exposed to the fire. I immediately rode to headquarters to get orders, but found Colonel Johnson absent, and was unable to ascertain in what part of the field he was. Under these circumstances I considered it my duty to carry my command where it could render some service, and would not be compelled to stand exposed to a heavy fire from the enemy without a chance of returning it. I accordingly marched it up to the intrenchments on the hill to the left of the turnpike, and made the men dismount and stand to their horses.

After the lapse of some time the enemy appeared, in force on our left flank and commenced a heavy fire, which raked the hill. Not being able to find who was in command on the hill, and finding my men very much exposed and in a position in which they could render no service, I took the responsibility of ordering them to secure their horses behind the cabins and to go into the ditches. Directly I met with Colonel Johnson. I informed him of the steps which I had taken and my reason therefor. He approved of them.

The trenches were so much crowded on the left flank that I was not able to get more than 12 or 15 of my carbineers in a position where they could shoot at the enemy with any effect. This detachment, however, kept up a regular and effective fire until the close of the engagement.

I take pleasure in stating that all of my men, and especially those posted where they could fire on the enemy, behaved with coolness and bravery and obeyed my orders promptly.

None of my command sustained any injury except Private John Nuckols, who was slightly wounded in both hands and in the left arm by a musket ball. Only two of my horses were wounded.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
    C. E. Dabney,
    Second Lieutenant, Commanding Pittsylvania Cavalry.

Lieutenant Willis, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

That's a really interesting reference! Much of what we have as far as reports on the action at Allegheny are very sketchy, to say the least. This is actually one of the most detailed ones I've ever read.

Great find!
      Bob D.
      "If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders."

George Carlin

Comment

Bob,

I think it's time to ask a very important question about the authenticity of this event.

In Rebels At The Gate, by Hunter Lesser, a passage describing the attack on the rebel left flank mentions that "Colonel Moody's lengthy and difficult circuit had upset the Federal timetable. Worse, his men had tarried at a local mill, guzzling hard cider and filling their canteens." Have the organizers made some provisions, for the reenacting of Colonel Moody's attack, to have enough hard cider on hand to distribute to the Federals?

Just a concerned (and possibly thirsty) soldier,
        Neil Randolph
        1st WV

Comment

Working...
        X