Informative Link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Informative Link

This link to an excellent set of archival records was sent to us by Harry Aycock.

The records apply specifically to the 31st Virginia Infantry Regiment, however they undoubtedly are representative of nearly all the regiments in Johnson's Command at the time. Among the most relevant documents are the descriptive lists of accounting of Pay and Clothing Records:

Check out the ones for 1861. What's remarkable is the amazing lack of clothing and equipment among the 31st at this time. For example:

Hats or Caps
    Required - 660; On Hand - 8; To Be Supplied - 652

Coats
    Required - 660; On Hand - 11; To Be Supplied - 649

Pants-pairs (yes, they called them "pants" on the form, not "trousers")
    Required - 660; On Hand - 24; To Be Supplied - 636

and so forth.

It would seem that the men serving in the Confederate Army of the Northwest were wearing a lot of non-standard clothing, which likely included both civilian and militia items.

Some other things of note:

1. Although there were nearly enough blankets for all the men, they were requiring two blankets for each man; however they only had 625 on hand;

2. Two flannel shirts were also required per man; again, they didn't have enough of them;

3. They had roughly enough knapsacks to equip at least 268 soldiers; therefore the rest must have improvised with blanket rolls;

This information also substantiates the statement by James Wood (1st Lieut., 37th VA Inf) who said that when they arrived in the Alleghenies from Camp Lee in Richmond, and met Johnson's men for the first time, the soldiers of the 31st and 25th Virginia regiments "marveled at our uniforms and equipment...their officers proclaiming, 'this is how real soldiers should look boys!'"

As our CS target impression will be the 31st VA, these data should provide some nice guidance for those wishing to craft a regimental time accurate portrayal.

Again, many thanks to Harry for providing this invaluable link.

Your servant, et c.,
    Bob D.
    "If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders."

George Carlin

Re: Informative Link

Originally posted by BobDenton37thVA View Post
    This information also substantiates the statement by James Wood (1st Lieut., 37th VA Inf) who said that when they arrived in the Alleghenies from Camp Lee in Richmond, and met Johnson's men for the first time, the soldiers of the 31st and 25th Virginia regiments "marveled at our uniforms and equipment...their officers proclaiming, 'this is how real soldiers should look boys!'"
    Mr. Denton,

Can you cite a source for this, please? I'm doing some research on the 31st Regiment and would like to add this bit of information to my work.

Are you referring to Wood's text, The War; "Stonewall" Jackson, His Campaigns, and Battles, the Regiment as I Saw Them? Because I can't seem to find that quotation.

Thanks for your help,
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Re: Informative Link

Dang! Let me go back and check. I paraphrased it, and may have confused "The War" with one of the typescripts (unpublished) I got many years ago from Bob Krick. The typescripts are all from various members of the 37th VA Regiment.

I do remember that the quote was attributed to General Loring, who directed it to his men regarding the appearance of the newly arrived Camp Lee regiments. I'll hunt it down and get you the correct source. If it's one of the unpublished typsecripts, I'll transcribe it for you with the citation.

Regards,
      Bob D.
      "If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders."

George Carlin

Comment

Working...
      X