Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Guidelines- Clarification

Folks,

I've been getting a number of inquiries as to why we are using the same general guidelines for CS clothing and equipment for AoA as we use for McDowell. Here's the rationale:

1. The CS "target impression" (i.e. the 31st VA and Johnson's Brigade) is the same.

2. Johnson's Brigade wasn't supplied with either uniforms or equipment (to our knowledge) from the time of the Camp Allegheny battle until after McDowell.

3. The men of Johnson's brigade were using a motley collection of private purchase stuff, stuff sent from home, and so forth.

Look at the post I put up in the AoA folder regarding the state of supplies of the CS troops at Allegheny, and you'll see the amazing lack of supplies. They were wanting in nearly every area. The best chance of any regiment at Allegheny being reasonable well-equipped would have been the 12th GA, because they were supplied by their state prior to departing for VA; but they would have been the distinct exception to the rule.

One further piece of evidence. When the 23rd, 37th, and 21st VA regiments arrived in the Alleghenies earlier that year, General Loring indicated to the men of Johnson's Brigade that "this is how real soldiers should look...", and apparently his men "marvelled at their uniform, martial appearance."

So, to make a long story short; use the McDowell guidelines, but maybe even more civilian, commutation and "ad-hoc" clothing should be seen. Overshirts are OK as well.

Regards,
    Bob D.
    "If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders."

George Carlin

Re: CS Guidelines- Clarification

Will we be able to use Mexican War style knapsack if we desire? Looking forward to this event very much as I had 2 ancestors who were there with 12 GVB.
    Pvt. Michael Godwin
    CoG 26NCT

Comment

Working...
    X