Aar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aar

As a native West Virginian, one of three of us there that I knew about, I was very excited and proud to have this event on ground that I've known well since I was a little boy. Mark Trail and I arrived about 3:30 Friday, registered, geared up and walked over to Traveler's Repose to look for our Friday camp location. Even though I knew approximately where it was to be, there wasn't any guidance and I decided we'd just sit at the bottom, next to the house, till either an nco or officer told us exactly where to go.

While there we had a very nice conversation with Jessie Wood, the ninety four year old resident and found that we had several mutual acquaintances. She was advertised as "frail" and although she had taken a bad fall recently, she was still feisty enough and clear headed enough that I said to Mark that I hope I'm that "frail" if I live to ninety four. Found out that we both went to the same college and that she was a phys-ed major and a history minor and is very interested in maintaining the Inn and the grounds. A very neat lady!

Directly, Scot Buffington rolled up and told us to head up the hill, past the first gun emplacement and pick a camp site on up the hill. We walked up the steep hill and found a beautiful site in the midst of some undergrowth cleared large oak trees. Mark and I selected a spot for the 1st company and took off our marching gear. before long, Capt. Andrew Dangel and Lt. Matt McLaughlin showed up and approved of our choice. Other soldiers began to dribble in throughout the evening and into the night.

The night was cool, but not uncomfortable. The Federals reassembled at the bottom of the hill and, after some waiting for the chase vehicles, started the march. The march was as good as advertised and as others have said, was very beautiful. I enjoyed the company of the men around me, Cpl. O'Malley, Sgt. Wilson (Yes, I still would like to see the photos you took) and several younger men.

The first contact was handled pretty well and after, I'd guess twenty minutes(?), we pushed the rebs out and took a rest. Capt. Dangel managed and maneuvered the company well during this intial skirmish. A short while later the Confederates appeared on our right and a much longer and intense battle broke out with us driving the confederates off our immediate right, and over a fence line. After jumping the fence, we maneuvered into a column of companies and, for me, made the prettiest military image of the event. The companies advanced toward the main Confederate position on a far knoll as they were falling back and rallying. We were in reserve, but after a short time we were swung around, as skirmishers on our left. Advancing in skirmish order, we moved up the knoll until some Rebels on our left fired into us, at which time I took a hit and laid down. Shortly after, the scenario came to an end. Pretty satisfying scenario from my view.

We went into camp on the very exposed knoll and I though to myself that if we got into some heavy thunderstorms and dropping temperatures, things could get interesting. Of course before long that exact thing happened and the company got up a large shelter the Captain had brought. We shoveled our gear in and remained pretty dry until the fourth or fifth storm came swirling in from another direction. Mark and I knew that it was going to be uncomfortable, but took it in stride and determined to make the best of it. I still had my issue wool shirt dry in my pack and I hadn't even pulled my blanket out yet, so I was feeling ok about being out there. Word came soon after that the event was being cancelled.

I've hiked those mountains since I was in high school and I'm pretty familiar with how weather conditions can deteriorate quickly. I do believe that the organizers made a wise decision. I saw several folks who were very wet and not working at keeping either dry or warm. Those folks would've been a big problem later in the night, in my opinion.

I'd like to thank all the organizers for getting us onto the march route and being able to camp on the original ground...that was a lot of fun! I got to see several folks whom I hadn't seen for a year or two and that pleased me a lot! Was it the best authentic event ever? No, far short of something like Payne's Farm, but I appreciated the effort and maybe we can try it again sometime.

Neil Randolph
    1st WV

Comment

I went to this event for one reason: to march where Civil War soldiers marched on a road essentially unchanged since the war. That is an opportunity we rarely have and any event that allows this to happen should be heartily applauded and given massive support for any future endeavors. We certainly won't ever have the opportunity to recreate a march to Gettysburg or Antietam on unpaved roads.
      The marching Saturday morning was fantastic with stunning mountain scenery and some fine fifing and drumming. Those of us in the rear guard could clearly hear the sound they were putting out. (As a person who has played fife and drum music for over 30 years I can tell you it can be hard as hell to play cleanly while walking on rough roads and those folks did a wonderful job.) I should add that Friday's camp site along the pike was beautiful and we had a fine time cooking biscuits until midnight.
      I wish we could have kept marching and not become bogged down in the waiting for the battle to start. However, even that was enjoyable due to the incredible weather and mountain scenery. Battles don't teach me anything about the Civil War, because guys running around shooting blanks doesn't make my brain produce the chemicals that real combat thrust into the brains of 19th century troops. Also, I am unable to pretend my pelvis was just shattered or my best friend's brain were just blown into my mouth. So I try to patiently wait for the powder burning to stop so we can get on with a more realistic attempt to gain insight into the marching, drilling, and cooking.
      The above sentence of course means that I (like others) got great satisfaction out of producing a hearty, hot meal while being hit with the bands of rain. I was fairly wet, but knew what I was in for especially as I had only one oilcloth and had brought a cotton haversack despite believing it would rain. I try to avoid packing based on weather reports that soldiers would not have had access too. My haversack and bedding got fairly damp and my remaining flour got clumpy for sure. I was prepared to spend a wet, sleepness night smoking my pipe and eating biscuits. Having said that, I believe it was very smart for the event to be ended. My father in law grew up 3 miles from Bartow and still vacations there in the summer. The kind of weather that was hitting is not to be fooled with. Temps could have severely dropped (it can frost up there this time of year), and those roads can simply become impassable. The locals stay off those roads in bad weather. My buddies and I who were doing the rear guard decided to march back to Bartow instead of waiting for a shuttle, so we got to watch the steady decline of the road's quality. We were about 3 miles from Bartow when Dave Pridgeon kindly yet firmly encouraged us to get a ride the rest of the way. So it must be said that Bob and Dave made a smart move by "pulling the plug". Reenactors often suffer, but they do so in a controlled environment and there is nothing controlled about Allegheny in bad weather. I can't imagine if there had been an emergency in the middle of the night and evacuating a reenactor had been impossible.
      I read a couple comments about uniform authenticity. I have long ago lost any expectations that any reenactment will have guys in great outfits so I don't let weird impressions get in my way of being on historic land and experimenting with bits of camp life information I read while researching. There are so many people out there who sell goods despite have poor sewing skills and no real knowledge of pattern making or good cloth that we can't expect to see very authentic looks on the troops. I saw many incredible examples of horrific topstitching, buttonholes, unpressed seams on coats that look like they were assembled in the dark etc etc., but that did not detract from the fact that WE WERE ON A REAL CIVIL WAR ROAD! Besides, the bottom line is Americans aren't that fit these days and so that is also a real block to creating authentic looking companies.

In conclusion I earnestly hope the negative comments don't affect the event organizers. This event is as good as it gets. It has so much more to offer than a site like McDowell because of its location. I hope we are able to march this road again very soon. Heck I would do this every other month all year long.

Sam Cathey

Comment

I had an awesome time at “Assault on Allegheny” and want to thank Bob Denton, Dave Pridgeon and Scot Buffington for all of the behind the scenes efforts to pull this off.

Think about this—an event where the opposing forces started off marching more than 11 miles apart along original roads with few if any modern intrusions? Haven’t we all talked at some point about how great an event like that would be? They went to work to give us this opportunity and should be thanked for their efforts.

I also want to recognize all the men who showed up. The event was in a remote location, required a significant march up a mountain, no ration issues, no port-a-johns, no sutlers, no spectators and no dog tents or a-frames. All remaining funds are being donated to preservation. Re-enactor parking was about 7 miles away down a dirt road. Not exactly the kind of advertisement you would see for 99.9% of the reenactments out there. Clearly, the fellows who showed up were looking for a different experience than what we are normally offered.

With the benefits of hindsight, could there have been some improvements that would have made the whole experience even better? Sure. But in the grand scheme of things, this was a unique opportunity and the organizers should be encouraged by us to do it again.

We need more events with this philosophy rather than fewer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Herzog View Post
          We need more events with this philosophy rather than fewer.
          Absolutely & 100% agreement w/ all Mark said.

I had a great time while I was there and -- while I was disappointed when the plug had to be pulled early -- I still feel the (7 or so hr) trip was worth it. Just marvelous to get out there on those roads the soldiers tred upon, and see the sights they saw. The vistas from that mountaintop were 99.72% unspoiled, and 250% magnificent. Those alone practically made it worth the trip.
          Hats off to Dave, Bob & all others that had a hand in putting this together. We do need more events like this, & more guys like the aforementioned to have the kahunas to organize and sponsor such.

I am just glad that I didn't have to make the Big Decision Saturday night.

Sorry if my original post expressing disappointment may have seemed a big negative. I was just mainly still wishing I was up on the mountaintop there Sunday morning. :wink_smil
          Charles Kibler
          Co. A, Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          [I]"I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving."[/I]
          Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by stx View Post
            Our first engagement with the enemy soon after lunch was brisk and in my opinion decent. I thought the second skirmish was much more intense and exciting, especially after we came to the fence rails and opened up on the retreating rebels. I was also much happier with my death the second time around.

No disrespect is intended towards the writer of the quoted post. This mentality is common among reenactors and is why I will never participate in a mock battle ever again. Too many times I have heard reenactors say things like "did you see that awesome hit I took?", or even better "if this were real that guy would have been dead."

I dont blame some folks for feeling this way. It is what they have been taught by the older members of their units from times when cars and coolers were welcomed camp accessories.

There has been some advancement in "the hobby" from the days of old, but these old mentalities have not changed. It is time for people to scrutinize these mentalities in the same way the "campaigner movement" preached against coolers, wall tents, and canned beef stew. Should we act like a bunch of 10 year olds playing soldier in the backyard, or should we take history a little more seriously? Do reenactors truly believe they are honoring their fallen ancestors and learning more about history by faking death and then bragging about it?

People should spend more time reading and practicing drill manuals and improving their kits and less time trying to improve how they "take hits".

I am sure I will be attacked relentlessly for posting this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I am simply sharing mine.

I had a great time marching, cooking, and sleeping in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. I hope we have the opportunity to return to this event sometime soon.
            [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

No offense taken, it's a valid point and I should probably qualify my statement. One of the main reasons I've started going to more progressive events and less mainstream reenactments is that I got sick of all the hokey battles. I remember at my first couple of events I couldn't wait for the battle to start and I was always disappointed at how quickly it would end. In a way I spent the entire weekend waiting for the battle instead of experiencing all the other aspects of Civil War life. Now my position had gone almost 180 degrees. As stated in a previous post there's no way that we can accurately portray taking a hit or being wounded because most (notice I say most, not all, I know there are some veterans out there) of us have never experienced being shot or seeing a friend take a hit, myself included. I still like to try my best, not just because I want to brag about how awesome my death was but because I realize that others are watching my death too. If I fire at someone and they decide to take a hit in a spectacular fashion, writhing in pain, taking 10 minutes to finally drop down on their knees, making a point that everyone notices how dramatic they are, it sucks the energy right out of the scenario(for me at least). Similarly is someone takes a hit by clutching their stomach and then gingerly walking over to a shady soft spot and sitting Indian style to watch the rest of the battle, it doesn't lend much authenticity to the event. Therefore, I hope that if I take a hit, making a point to try and be as realistic as possible, someone at the other side of no mans land might appreciate it and it may add a little more to their experience. I only hope others do the same for me. Because I've discovered the many different aspects of Civil War life not experienced at mainstream events (being on the march, cooking issue rations, making camp only with what you carried with you, etc), the actual fighting has become far less important to me. To be honest I was so surprised by the ambush on Saturday because at that point I thought the fighting was over for the day and I'd reserved myself to marching and preparing to make camp for the night.

So, to make a long post short, yes I understand what your saying about there being more to this hobby than taking hits and burning powder and I whole heartedly agree with you, no that was not the only reason I attended the event nor did I brag about how awesome my death was and how many rounds I shot, but yes I still like to give a good look when I go down.
              Tim Koenig

Comment

A great day's march for sure, and fine battle. Here's a clip of the marching Confederate column:

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

The solution to the problem of cold and wet is always large fires. Learned that at 125th Shiloh. If several decent bonfires had been started and kept up, warmth and drying would have been available to any who needed it. And the bigger the fire, the less the smoke.

Shebangs angled against the wind and towards the big fires would have provided fine shelter. More cut, seasoned and covered firewood in the camping areas would have made that possible. Next time, either bring or chop up plenty of fire wood BEFORE marching off to the battle, especially when you know they've been calling for a 30% chance of thunderstorms for three days.

On the ride back, y'all forgot to mention the fawns dashing across the road in the dark foggy rain. They really helped keep you alert! At least the three bear cubs who ran across the road on the drive up had the sense to take shelter by then.

One thing I noticed missing (evident in the above video) was the lack of colors in the lines of both forces, although I did see a stars and stripes leaning against a fence after the battle. If both sides were portraying skirmishers, that would be one thing, but the event info said the Confederates were portraying a brigade, and the federals a regiment. That was a little odd, and a little disappointing.

But all in all it beat the hell out of the best mainstream event!

Joe Whitney
                Bugler
                2nd SC String Band
                Md Line Field Music
                Liberty Hall Fifes & Drums

Comment

Thats a pretty tight video. That was when we were marching back from the battle and the rain had just started to set in. I actually didn't mind it at all. Kinda made me feel like a miserable soldier on the retreat.
                  Sam Harrelson
                  Liberty Rifles
                  Independent Volunteers
                  Museum of the Confederacy

Comment

My drive to Bartow was a spectacular drive. Once past Staunton, the drive on SR 250 just got better and better! Such scenic vistas have only been rivaled only those I've seen in the Rockies and Tetons! The bonus was CS Camp Johnson atop Shenandoah Mountain pass!

I arrived late Sat AM. I was the last to register but not the last to arrive. On more CS trooper arrived after me and all 3 of us (Matt, myself and his OH friend was taken up the Mountain by Bob). I was feeling pretty good but dissappointed because I had missed the movement to Sat night's camp site. This is where we caught up with the rest of the CS troops. I knew before leaving the the number ratio between the US and CS troops heavily favored Johnny by looking at the registered list.

I had prepared for this event by adding black trim to my RDII and changing the buttons from Script I's to Federal Eagles to disguise it. (My back up plan was a Black cuff's and collar trimmed CS/militia frock with 27 VA state seal buttons on the front in militia style around the chest). As it turned out I didn't even need to wear it. Instead I wore my civilian vest and shirt in accordance with the research done by Jason Spellman (aka Shockoe Hill Cats of Liberty Hill Rifles) about civilian clothes. I was dissappointed when I looked around to notice many a johnnies hadn't prepared as I had; I saw too many Script I buttons, even some CSA buttons. What happened to standards? I know this sounds petty but it would have been a way to weedout some Rebs and even the ratio. Hey, if you don't prepare and show up looking '64 at a clearly early '61 event it is your own fault. I was also a little peeved when I was made to move in to the front because I was carrying a M1841 rifle. And wouldn't you know it the 1st volley we fired some yahoo had the lock entirely to close to my left ear. Johnny Lloyd is right you can't fix stupid!

Anyway the battle was going good until the Feds called an unscheduled timeout. All of us Rebs were wondering what the heck was going on then saw the pow-wow between Col Buffington and Col Pridgeon. Change the battle plan. I was just glad the battle resumed because we had fellas back at the soon to be Federal camp that wouldn't even get to fire a
                    shot until the battle reached them.

After the battle was over we went back to our camp. On the way back it commenced to raining. It started as a sprinkle then progressively got worse. Arriving at camp we started on a shelter, got a fire going and started cooking dinner in between rain showers. We then noticed that folks were starting to bug out before the official word was given. Given the choice I would have stayed for lack of other accomadations. I was there for the long haul as was my pard Cole.

The evac went as smooth as could be expected. I ended up just sleeping in the car in Monterey where thunder storms were the norm for the night. The drive there was rather dicey w/the rain, fog and unknown, twisty, up and down roads. I was tired as I had been going since 4 am Sat morn. I think I could have slept about anywhere!

I woke up the next day to a beautiful day, warm andsunny! I did some touring on my own. I went up to Sitlinger Hill where the 12th GA was during McDowell. CWPT needs to remark the trail as the blue blasons are getting difficult to see but the trail was easily identifiable. On the way out, I got a closer look at Camp Johnson on the way out. I heard it said that these are the best preserved CS breastworks around.

Looking fwd to the make up for this event:) When can it be put together and count me in! closer to the actual date would be great for a winter campaign!
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

"I was just glad the battle resumed because we had fellas back at the soon to be Federal camp that wouldn't even get to fire a
                      shot until the battle reached them. "

Only shot I fired was the one to clear my gun. I was told to load as the initial advanced guard. Marched from camp to the big hill loaded. Then waited there for the battle to move to the hill when a runner told us it was all over and the Yanks were too tired from the march. So I unloaded my gun and went back to camp. Then I heard the muskets but it was too late at that point. Oh well... At least I got a gun to clean for my efforts. :cry_smile
                      Brad Ireland
                      Old Line Mess
                      4th VA CO. A
                      SWB

Comment

Well, I personally had a great time. This was my first campaigner event, and my third event period, and I must say that I enjoyed it immensely.

I was more than a little worried when I traveled up there that somebody would nitpick my impression, but I found that this was not the case at all. Several people took the time to inform me in a rather courteous manner of the numerous ways that I could improve my impression on the spot, and while I am sure that my impression was incredibly mainstream even after this, I felt much more confident about it once it was addressed.

I learned a lot at this event, both about the war and about my impression, and for that I am grateful. A hearty thank you to those who put this on, to those who we fell in with, and to Bob Denton and the Sergeant Major from Pridgeon's Legion for both of their insightful remarks and help with myself and my comrade's impression.

Now for the after action report.
                        I'll cut out all the military crap, and just cut to the chase.

AAR, 24JUL09-26JUL09

Myself and one other began our trip 2000, 23JUL09, and arrived in Bartow, W.V. at roughly 0500, 24JUL. Enroute, we encountered a number of extremely dangerous turns, homocidal bucks, and borderline suicidal West Virginia drivers. After making the fatal mistake of taking highway 219 North off of the interstate, we determined that what we had previously believed to be a rather quick trip might in fact take upwards of six hours. This assumption was conservative. We watched in gleeless anticipation as the ETA ticked backwards on our GPS with every passing milepost.

After reaching Bartow, we bivouacced in the vehicle for the night at the local motel, having found that Bartow does not keep open offices after 2200.

At around 0900, we registered with Bob Denton, and spent the day trying to watch others and determine what we had done wrong with our impressions, and what, if anything, we had done right. At this point, we were informed by the Sergeant Major of Pridgeon's Legion of what would ease our stay in a campaigner's event. I can't imagine what humping all of the crap we had originally brought would be like. Our everlasting thanks to this man for his help.

Arriving at camp just shy of nightfall, we partook in a little libation, discussed the camp, and went to sleep, unlike certain other parties in our camp, who had discovered my corn liquor and a bottle of vodka and decided that that night was in fact the night to attempt suicide-by-whiskey.

In the morning, we originally fell in with the Stonewall Brigade, but were moved instead as an individual company. We began the march, and what a march it was. The drum and fife corps was incredible, and it kept our spirits high throughout the trek, as did the spectacular scenery. I still can't believe that's the real pike!! (on a side note, Bob Denton mentioned that most of the mountain is actually unchanged, due to a geological rarity of the environment being condusive to neither erosion or deposit.)

When asked for volunteers to go foward and engage the federals, most of my company volunteered, and we set off further down the pike. This is where I really had some fun. I've never skirmished before, and I got to take three guys out and engage the yankees early. Now, I've read some of you guys saying you can't replicate the fighting, or the chemicals induced by combat. As a combat veteran, I disagree. You can get damned close. I had a blast up there in the woods, and when you put yourself in the right mindset, I think you'll find you really can enjoy a good battle. We were the first ones to engage the federals, and for four guys, I think we did pretty damned good. We held most of them up for about twenty minutes, and then they started moving their columns by, and dispatched some skirmishers into the woods to deal with us. We maintained contact with them until their NCOs came back and pulled them out. I'm forced to say, though, that had the Federals had flankers out, they'd have been able to handle the contact much more smoothly.
                        At this point we moved back through the woods and engaged several other federal skirmishers from the rear and the flank. Upon attempting to pass through the lines, we were told that there was a ceasefire, and that we needed to return to our companies.

We did so, and we were just in time for the long walk back to the hill. Our company stopped about half way there and set up in ambush. Again, this put us ahead of all the other confederates, which meant even more running for your life through the woods while outnumbered. But damned if it wasn't fun. After springing the ambush, I tripped on some tanglefoot, and had to run in bounds to get back to my company. it was at this point that I broke my enfield. (damn those West Virginia mountains.)

We ran back to the knoll, where we were pushed back by the advancing federals, and I watched as the long blue lines began pushing our troops while they were falling back. We rallied on the hill, and then the rest was history, as they say.

And then the rain. I'm not even going to write about that. I think I'm still a little damp, and it's tuesday.

All in all, a GREAT time. Let me know when the next one is, and I'll be there. And this time I'll get rid of my CSA buttons.

Brandon, please remember to sign your full name to all posts - Mike Chapman Moderator
                        Last edited by dusty27; 07-28-2009, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marylander in Grey View Post
                          Fun, but not what the the event was billed as. To many later uniforms and weapons for 1861. To much canvas on the Confederate side. Not enough embracing the Suck in my opinion. Awesome site, great marching, and lovely rain and rain and rain.
                          As stated to many modern vehicles in view ( not the water truck). Would have march the 7 miles or so down the mountain in the rain if allowed when event cancelled. Would have liked to have spent saturday night on the hill and marched out sunday even better.
                          Over all impression Disappointed.
                          I marched down the mountain the whole 7 miles with 2 of my pards. Beat standing around, and also beat the rest of my mess back to the parking lot!:)
                          Pierre King
                          27th Conn.
                          1st Minnesota

Comment

Just out of curiosity: Did 100% of the registration fee go towards Preservation, or was there some overhead associated with the event, i.e. water-tanks, firewood??

Paul B.
                            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                            (Loblolly Mess)
                            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by Prodical Reb View Post
                              Instead I wore my civilian vest and shirt in accordance with the research done by Jason Spellman (aka Shockoe Hill Cats of Liberty Hill Rifles) about civilian clothes.
                              Much of my own opinions and thoughts have already been stated. But I will say that one of the best things about this past weekend was having a couple folks thank me for my work. You all really made my weekend and made the weekend by putting forth some effort in your impressions. Thank you, and well done.
                              Jason C. Spellman
                              Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Originally posted by Prodical Reb View Post
                                What happened to standards? I know this sounds petty but it would have been a way to weedout some Rebs and even the ratio. Hey, if you don't prepare and show up looking '64 at a clearly early '61 event it is your own fault.

Yes, there were quite a few dubious impressions in the federal ranks as well. Not even late/early war. Just typical mainstream.
                                James Duffney
                                61st NY
                                Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

Working...
                                X