Pets and Mascots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pets and Mascots

In my recent research regarding "the march" I found an interesting bit in Samuel Carter III's "The Siege of Atlanta; 1864". (reference page 386/soft cover edition)
    Seems as the bummers were fond of picking up cats, racoons, lambs, mules, et cetera and carrying them along. One note of interest, according to Carter, dogs found along the march route were shot outright more times than not. Union soldiers operated under the belief that these hounds were of no good as they had been used to chase down runaway slaves and escaped Federal prisoners. Just another tidbit to help us all out.

Cheers!
    John Marler
    Franklin, TN

Re: Pets and Mascots

Do a search on "civil war dogs". You will find an amazing story about Jack the pit bull who was a mascot of the 11th Pa. Inf.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Many dogs were considered mascots during the war. In fact, many a dog found their fate in the cross fire, catching bullet and shell whilst staying loyal and true to their owners even in the line of battle; some of these animals were buried and honored with great military tradition. There are some great written pieces out there pertaining to animals and their place in the war. I particularly enjoy the story of the eagle which was carried alongside the regimental flag of a certain mid-western regiment.

Comment

Not 1864, and not Georgia, but:

Captain Werner von Bachelle of the 6th Wisconsin Infantry had a Newfoundland that went into battle with the regiment at Antietam. von Bachelle was killed near the furthest advance of the 6th. When the regiment retreated, the dog stayed with the body of his master. After the battle, when there was a chance to bury the dead, von Bachelle's dog was found dead lying with his deceased owner.

In the words of Rufus Dawes:
        Our line of men left the body when they reatreated, but the dog stayed with his dead master, and was found on the morning of the 19th of September lying dead upon his body. We buried him with his master. So far as we knew, no family or firends mourned for poor Bachelle, and it is probable that he was joined in death by his most devoted friend on earth.
        -Service With the Sixth Wisconsin Volunteers, pg 93
        Last edited by Andy Ackeret; 11-26-2008, 01:50 PM. Reason: typo
        Andy Ackeret
        A/C Staff
        Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

I don't know if you've seen this thread or not, http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=16584 however, Ryan Burns posted a GREAT photo of the 13th New York Heavy Artillery regiment in camp at Petersburg and they have a mascot!
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

With the reading and research on the March to Savannah, I found that most of the dogs shot out right were the blood hounds. Many other dogs, especially mutts were picked up by the Uncle Billy's boys.

My favorite "mascot" story is a group of foragers coming on a poor dirt farm in middle Georgia and finding two little girls there, hungry and dirty. The soldiers took them in and they were the "pets" of the company all the way to Savannah. This story has stuck with me since I was younger and read the accounts in the Time Life Civil War volume dealing with Sherman's march.

Read up everyone. What you come up on at Bummers comes from the books.
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Herb, are you suggesting we "borrow" small children in middle Georgia as mascots? Sounds like a legally poor suggestion, not to mention the heartache we'll cause those parents?
              In all seriousness, the bloodhound issue sounds interesting. Anyone have other accounts justifying these extra-judicial killings of the criminal hunters?
              Last edited by brown; 11-26-2008, 10:03 PM. Reason: actual constructive comment added
              Pat Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
                With the reading and research on the March to Savannah, I found that most of the dogs shot out right were the blood hounds. Many other dogs, especially mutts were picked up by the Uncle Billy's boys.
                Any particular reason as to why they killed the bloodhounds? Large dog that needs too much food maybe?
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Bloodhounds would be the logical choice for tracking runaway slaves or escaped prisioners.
                  John Duffer
                  Independence Mess
                  MOOCOWS
                  WIG
                  "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Well in that particular vacinity, not too far north from Andersonville, it was the stories they had heard about the bloodhounds being used to run them down.

Lee
                    Lee White
                    Researcher and Historian
                    "Delenda Est Carthago"
                    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

The strangest Civil War military mascot story I ever came across was on a wartime US Naval ship.

This ship had a bear (I think a circus type bear) as a mascot. They eventually had to get rid of the bear. He got into some liquor and fell asleep in one of the sailor's berths. When that particular sailor came in to go to sleep he woke the bear, startling him and was mauled pretty badly in the process. So they got rid of the bear.

I kid you not,

Greg Starbuck
                      The brave respect the brave. The brave
                      Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
                      That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
                      And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

Sort of, but not related; the 2nd Rhode Island Infantry had a mascot, a sheep named Dick. Too many jokes can be made here. :)
                        Ted Siljowicz

Comment

Originally posted by LWhite64 View Post
                          Well in that particular vacinity, not too far north from Andersonville, it was the stories they had heard about the bloodhounds being used to run them down.

Lee
                          There was a general sense among Sherman's men that bloodhounds were only useful for tracking slaves and escaped prisoners, and they were generally shot or bayonetted when encountered. There are a number of accounts and even drawings of this happening.

Dang dogs make a lot of noise so they attracted attention from a distance.
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Hi,

The strangest Civil War military mascot story I ever came across was on a wartime US Naval ship.

This ship had a bear (I think a circus type bear) as a mascot. They eventually had to get rid of the bear. He got into some liquor and fell asleep in one of the sailor's berths. When that particular sailor came in to go to sleep he woke the bear, startling him and was mauled pretty badly in the process. So they got rid of the bear.

I kid you not,

Greg Starbuck
                            Thanks for posting that. That is one of the strangest things that I have heard about the Civil War.

Andrew
                            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Henry Hitchcock, one of Sherman's staff weenys (ALL... Read his memoirs! It is tops one the Bummer's Reading list.) stated that Sherman himself ordered the killing of bloodhounds that were used to track run away slaves. Outside of Milledgeville, Hitchcock mentioned that the slaves went wild with glee when Sherman told them this.

Also a Minnesota soldier named Pendergast mentioned that his officers ordered the men kill bloodhounds for the same reason. He states that this about the third or fourth day on the march.

I've been reading a few narratives (Burke Davis and the more recent Trudeau books) and they've mentioned this.

Hit the books folks!

Lindsey, I don't think will be borrowing too many dirt farming kids for mascots for the Federals. :p
                              Last edited by Coatsy; 11-29-2008, 12:59 PM.
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X