Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army life of an Illinois soldier, including a day by day account of Sherman's march to the sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army life of an Illinois soldier, including a day by day account of Sherman's march to the sea

Letters and Diary of the late Charles W. Wills , 8th IL, 17th IL Cavalry and 103 IL. Description of the march pages 318-336. Light reading, Noted that Gen. Order 26 was read repeatedly to the troops.

Lauren Ehas

Re: Army life of an Illinois soldier, including a day by day account of Sherman's march to the sea

I've been skimming this for some time now.. Don't you just love getting to preview a book? Thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 01-06-2009, 09:23 AM. Reason: added sentence
    Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
    Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
    ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
    ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
    ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
    ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
    ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Re: Army life of an Illinois soldier, including a day by day account of Sherman's march to the sea

Favorite quote " We all voted this morning that opossum meat was good enough for white folk". So opossum anyone? Great read, you can almost go date for date on this one. The militia sure did allot of running and was full of old men and young boys. How sad to read of 15 year olds getting killed. This is on page 320.
      Last edited by Thomas Alleman; 01-06-2009, 12:56 PM.
      Thomas J. Alleman
      "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Here is a link to Private Jefferson Moses, Company G, 93rd Illinois Volunteers. It is quite a diary and also memoirs. Links with photos and his enlistment papers.
        [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
        [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Pay close attention to the mention of Sweet Potatoes in your reading/research folks. It is a little known fact that Georgia is set on a tectonic plate of Yams. (for all of my Yankee pals :wink_smil )
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Originally posted by 58th C View Post
            http://books.google.com/books?id=s34...result#PPP1,M1

Letters and Diary of the late Charles W. Wills , 8th IL, 17th IL Cavalry and 103 IL.

Lauren Ehas
            Some quick corrections Lauren, thanks for the link!

8th IL INFANTRY
            7th IL CAVALRY
            103rd IL INFANTRY

7th IL Cavalry amongst the best we've ever had in reenacting....you've seen them in Many movies (North & South, Blue & Gray, Son of the Morning Star, Patriot, et al), even served under them at events when you went as infantry.......
            RJ Samp
            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Coasty,
              To pull a quote from MARCHING THROUGH GEOGIA by Lee Kennett:

“On November 18, when General Slocum’s troops were streaming through Morgan County and its county seat, Madison, they came upon a bonanza: a mountain of freshly harvested sweet potatoes, some three thousand bushels of them, on the plantation of a Mr. Jones. The men helped themselves, and when the last had passed, the last sweet potatoes were gone as well. Nor were sweet potatoes all they took from Mr. Jones, for one of the officers noted that “several of his negroes joined us, concluding they had worked long enough for Mr. Jones, ”

Brian Baird
              One Of Brown's Pets

Start reading now Boys! There are many great accounts out there on the march through Georgia
              Last edited by Brian Baird; 01-09-2009, 01:00 AM.

Comment

P. 321

Nov 19, 1864
                "By the kindness of Mrs. Elizabeth Celia Pye, I occupy a feather bed to-night... She understood fromt eh Rebels that we burned all houses and she took all her things out and hid them in the woods. The foragers found them and brought them in to her."

Next day:
                "I think there is less pillaging this trip than I ever saw before."

hmmmm interesting.
                Brad Ireland
                Old Line Mess
                4th VA CO. A
                SWB

Comment

Ok.. this is just too funny not to post:

P.329 Nov 28, 64
                  "Lieutenant Dorrance swallowed his false teeth a few nights ago, and complains that they don't agree with him"
                  Brad Ireland
                  Old Line Mess
                  4th VA CO. A
                  SWB

Comment

Working...
                  X