A Yankee Private's Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Yankee Private's Civil War

Want a rockin' diary detailing the March to the Sea with tons of passages regarding contraband, uniforms, food and battles?

Check out Bob Strong's diary from his time with the 105th Illinois.

A Yankee Private's Civil War by Robert Hale Strong (Hardcover - Jan 1, 1961)

This is a great book and a must read for anyone going the Bummer gig.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: A Yankee Private's Civil War

I'll echo Chris's sentiment that this is a great read and readily available at used books website such as abebooks.com.

Another great read is George F. Cram's letters, published as Soldiering with Sherman and edited by Jennifer Cain Bohrnstedt. He doesn't go into a lot of detail regarding the march itself but it is a nice slice of life in Sherman's army. And one interesting sidenote is that the editor states that Robert Hale Strong deserted the army twice and fled to Canada to avoid prosecution, something he obviously fails to mention in his work.
    Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Robert Hale Strong deserted? If he went to Canada did he make up the last half of his book? He seemed to know an awful lot about the end of the war for someone who deserted. I might believe he left twice and came back but I don't know about the going to Canada part. I don't claim to be an expert on him but that seems a little off the wall. I could be wrong.
      Mike Hoover

1st Tennessee Infantry Co. D

Comment

Hmmm...it's a great book and Bob Strong is certainly a bit of a 'Jack the Lad' but it doesn't mention any 'official' deserting on the 105th Illinois Roster:

Company B, 105th Illinois Vols
        Chris O'Brien

Scalawag Mess
        Volunteer Company
        [URL="http://www.aesoc.org"]American Eagle Society[/URL]

Comment

Hello everyone, speaking of diaries. Would anyone know if Theodore F. Upson's diary is published or could it be found online? I was wanting to read this before bummers too, along with other works. Thanks
          Kenton Siers

“South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum” - James L. Petigru

Comment

Working...
          X