Henry Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Maintenance

In preparation for the event I am going to try and learn the intricacies of the Henry so that I can be proficient in its use. I know they're fairly needy maintenance-wise. Does anyone know of any online resources for cleaning/repairing/field-cleaning them?
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew Jerram

Re: Henry Maintenance

Pip, It won't matter when you throw it to the ground and run screaming like a little girl as I ride you down!!! :baring_te
    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
    Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Unfortunately the Henry rifle is slightly long. I might be able to shoot myself in the toe, but I don't think I could master the art of shooting myself in the genitalia. I'm no jedi master like you Pete.

AJ:sarcastic
      Kind Regards,
      Andrew Jerram

Comment

Ok, I'm riding you down for sure after that comment!!!:baring_te
        Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
        Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Henry Maintenance:

The reproduction Henry does have several areas of concern. In using my Henry Rifles(9) over the years I have had to replace main springs, extractors, lever springs, carrier springs, firing pins and even the magazine spring. It seemed that at almost every event we attended one of the Henry rifles in our group needed something done to it. I always carry all of the above spare parts in the field with me except the magazine spring but I will have an extra one in the vehicle. My Henry “Doctor’s Kit” also contains the tools that are needed to replace and fit these parts.

Depending on what kind of blanks a person is using will also dictate what kind of problems you may have. Black powder blanks will build up fouling quickly in the action causing the carrier difficulty in moving up and down. This will usually happen after only 30 to 50 rounds have been fired. In the field this can be taken care of with a canteen of water and a rag, and then you are good to go for another 30-50 rounds. If using plastic blanks a lot of plastic fouling will build up in the chamber and the barrel that is difficult to clean. Plastic blanks also create several safety issues. There are several other safety concerns when using a Henry rifle that a person should know before they field their Henry. The Henry is not a weapon for beginners.

It is important to clean the Henry in the field after the day’s battle. Plain old water may be used for the barrel. I usually use my index finger to stop up the breech of the Henry and pour water into the barrel at the muzzle end. I then shake back and forth several times and dump the water. I repeat this a couple of times and then run patches down the barrel and oil it the last thing. I will also pull the carrier out of the Henry and clean it and the breech area with a damp rag, oil and then reassemble. I only take the carrier out if there is an abundant amount of fouling otherwise I just wipe the carrier and breech area with a damp rag with the carrier left in place. If the carrier is to be removed I also clean the area behind the side plates and the toggles. Before taking the screw out that holds the side plates loosen the 2 screws for the carrier spring and the lever spring then remove the side plate screw. I give the Henry a complete cleaning after I get home from the event.

There are other blanks that you can fire well over 200 without any signs of the action fouling up. These are what most of our group have used over the years.

The Henry rifle was a fantastic weapon during the Civil War and in Civil War reenacting it gets much the same reaction from those using it as well as those that it is used on. I will never forget the comments and looks on the rebs faces as they tried to take the trench at Franklin, 2004. 15 Henry Rifles held off over a hundred rebs and then some. The same thing happened in the Battle of Franklin during the Civil War.

PS: Here is phrase similar to a familiar Clint Eastwood movie, "When a man mounted on a horse meets a man with a Henry Rifle, the man on the horse loses". :D:D:D:D:D

Andrew L. Bresnan
          National Henry Rifle Company
          7th Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry
          66th Illinois Infantry WSS
          ICSS
          Last edited by 44 Henry; 02-03-2009, 10:27 AM. Reason: wording wrong
          Andrew L. Bresnan
          ICSS
          Victory Through Rapid Fire!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm really looking more for the proper method of disassembling the Henry at home. I don't want to start taking screws out until I know what I am doing.
            Kind Regards,
            Andrew Jerram

Comment

Please do not take this the wrong way as I know how sometimes the written word is misinterpreted. There is nothing improper about the methods that I have mentioned. The unfortunate thing is that there is no proper manual in dealing with the Henry rifle. Uberti used to include a small brief booklet with Henry rifles. However until you start taking screws out you will not know what you are doing. The learning is in the doing. I know that I have a detailed written procedure on taking apart a Henry that I wrote several years ago somewhere.

There are also several safety concerns with the plastic blanks, how you load the Henry and how to maneuver in the field with a Henry. I guess I will leave those for another time if there is any interest.
              Andrew L. Bresnan
              ICSS

Comment

Here are the most useful websites for the Henry Rifle.

1. This is a great site for care of your Henry rifle:

2. This is a great site for historic information:

Andrew L. Bresnan
                National Henry rifle Company
                66th Illinois Infantry WSS
                ICSS
                Andrew L. Bresnan
                ICSS