Who was the Bummer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the Bummer???

I was reading Lee Kennett's Marching Through Georgia and he states, "Several Men who were on the March to the Sea tell us how the term was used then, but their definitions vary. To one man the term applied simply to a mounted forager, to another it represented a forager who was independent rather than in a regularly constituted party. In still another use "bummer" meant a forager who worked hor himself, not for his comrades; finally, at least by the time the march was over, the word was a colloquial term for "forager" in general."

I think this is something the boys in blue should think about when "having a look around." Parties versus parties and even individuals versus individuals looking out for themselves.
    Heath Potter

South Union Guards
    Star and Crescent Mess
    A.E.K.D.B.

Bummers
    Franklin Preservation March
    Backwater 1865

Re: Who was the Bummer???

Robert Strong adds another perspective in his often overlooked book, and it wasn't very pretty to be on the receiving end of the locals' wrath.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by hpotter View Post
      I was reading Lee Kennett's Marching Through Georgia and he states, "Several Men who were on the March to the Sea tell us how the term was used then, but their definitions vary. To one man the term applied simply to a mounted forager, to another it represented a forager who was independent rather than in a regularly constituted party. In still another use "bummer" meant a forager who worked hor himself, not for his comrades; finally, at least by the time the march was over, the word was a colloquial term for "forager" in general."

I think this is something the boys in blue should think about when "having a look around." Parties versus parties and even individuals versus individuals looking out for themselves.
      You and Uncle Charlie are on the right path!
      Kiev Thomason
      a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
      WIG
      Armory Guards
      Forest Park Lodge #399
      Forest Park GA.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
        Robert Strong adds another perspective in his often overlooked book, and it wasn't very pretty to be on the receiving end of the locals' wrath.
        I have been reading several books on the March to the Sea to prepare for Bummers 09 and I can't remember which one it was but it talked about How when foragers were caught by Rebs and dealt with harshly.......The screams of the Yankees pleading for mercy may have been louder but not nearly as convincing as the cries of the Southern women burned out of their homes.....Definately do not want to get captured.
        Last edited by PetePaolillo; 04-30-2009, 10:49 PM.
        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by 97th private View Post
          I have been reading several books on the March to the Sea to prepare for Bummers 09 and I can't remember which one it was but it talked about How when foragers were caught by Rebs and dealt with harshly.......The screams of the Yankees pleading for mercy may have been louder but nearly as convincing as the cries of the Southern women burned out of their homes.....Definately do not want to get captured.
          Well...you can just about pick from the event reading list and see accounts of beatings,hangin and shooting of Bummers all over. I would not get off the main road too much! We want the federals to feel what it was like...it may be eating a fresh baked pie that you snagged from so poor dirt farmer's wife or digging for food in a fresh dug hole,but you may feel what it's like to be tied to the rear of a horse and walked for miles:wink_smil

The big thing is come with a good handle on what took place in the GA piedmont area. These were bad roads, ruff woods and lots and lots of hills! Get your mind and body in damn good shape guys! I can not stress this enough. Herb and I are going down this weekend and starting some treats for you federals! Stay tuned for new info next week:)
          Kiev Thomason
          WIG
          Armory Guards
          Forest Park Lodge #399
          Forest Park GA.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiev Thomason View Post
            Well...you can just about pick from the event reading list and see accounts of beatings,hangin and shooting of Bummers all over. I would not get off the main road too much! We want the federals to feel what it was like...it may be eating a fresh baked pie that you snagged from so poor dirt farmer's wife or digging for food in a fresh dug hole,but you may feel what it's like to be tied to the rear of a horse and walked for miles:wink_smil

The big thing is come with a good handle on what took place in the GA piedmont area. These were bad roads, ruff woods and lots and lots of hills! Get your mind and body in damn good shape guys! I can not stress this enough. Herb and I are going down this weekend and starting some treats for you federals! Stay tuned for new info next week:)
            This Florida flatlander is hitting the stairs:cry_smile
            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

The opposition

I have enjoyed myself for this trip but think, sometimes, I am getting hard-hearted. But I notice the tears of a lady always bring tears to my eyes and the smoke and flames of a dwelling prevents the prayers of the Yankees for their lives, even when on their knees, being heard, and steadies my nerves to kill them all if possible. I will get more of the blue jackets yet, as I have a brace of pistols that never snap, and a horse that is as true as steel, and never flinches.

I have a fair amount of information related to Shannon's Scouts on my Terry's Texas Rangers website. They had more than a few encounters with Sherman's men during his march to the sea. Here are a few quick links that may be of interest.

Achievements of the Thirty Rangers

ORs: Report of Gen. Kilpatrick, commander of Federal Cavalry
              Shannon’s Scouts: Combat Reconnaissance Detachment of Terry’s Texas Rangers
              Shannon's Scouts
              Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
              1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
              Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

First off, Troy that is a sweet picture you've got there. Secondly, speaking of horses and all. I found it interesting that during the early part of the campaign after leaving Atlanta, many of the bummers became mounted as a result of so many stolen horses. Since they could move farther off the main roads and faster as well as commandeering wagons and carriages being pulled by horses, mules and cows. Lee Kennett mentions that so many foot soldiers became mounted that the columns were getting crowded and Sherman had to order all mounts taken away from those without business with one. He goes on to say Gen. Kilpatrick got fed up with all the mounted foragers because they were cleaning out towns within his area of operation.

Anyone want to add to this?? It would be pretty awesome to have some of our blue boys pulling wagons and riding mules and thoroughbreds!!!
                Heath Potter

South Union Guards
                Star and Crescent Mess
                A.E.K.D.B.

Bummers
                Franklin Preservation March
                Backwater 1865

Comment

Reading Trudeau's Southern Storm, he documents two if not three times during the campaign that excess captured horses and mules, or animals that were played out, were ordered shot, numbering in the thousands. From Kennett, Hitchcock, Trudeau, and other sources, it almost seems like the foragers started on foot every time they left the column and came in at the end of the day on a new mount.
                  Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                  My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by hpotter View Post
                    First off, Troy that is a sweet picture you've got there. Secondly, speaking of horses and all. I found it interesting that during the early part of the campaign after leaving Atlanta, many of the bummers became mounted as a result of so many stolen horses. Since they could move farther off the main roads and faster as well as commandeering wagons and carriages being pulled by horses, mules and cows. Lee Kennett mentions that so many foot soldiers became mounted that the columns were getting crowded and Sherman had to order all mounts taken away from those without business with one. He goes on to say Gen. Kilpatrick got fed up with all the mounted foragers because they were cleaning out towns within his area of operation.

Anyone want to add to this?? It would be pretty awesome to have some of our blue boys pulling wagons and riding mules and thoroughbreds!!!
                    The land would be bad for someone who did not really know their way with a horse...second the Cav. is open to only a few and they have pretty much already been given a invite.
                    Kiev Thomason
                    WIG
                    Armory Guards
                    Forest Park Lodge #399
                    Forest Park GA.

Comment

Troy,

These aren't the Shannon's Scouts you are looking for.

The killing of the played out horses is well documented throughout the Savannah Campaign and the sources listed above better be on participant's reading list.

To all...

The event site is rough in many places. It is astride the Georiga Fall Line which is no cake walk. Don't "that guy" who has to fall out because you did not heed the plethora of advice to "be in shape". Looking at the terrain map from Google Maps illustrates this. Be prepared.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Major L. M. Dayton, A. S. G. , Military Division of the Mississippi:

Major:
                        I am now encamped at Springville [Springwell], on railroad, and cross to J. Y. Mills' house, on Little Rocky Creek. My advance has been to within tive miles of Chesterville. A portion of Wheeler's cavalry is at that point, but he and Hampton are moving toward Landsford. General Carlin encamps tonight at Youngsville. I will move at an early hour for the pontoon, and my first brigade (General Atkins) will be at the river ready to cross at 3 p.m. tomorrow. By rapid marching I can reach Lancaster before the half of the rebel cavalry can reach that pointt. I think, however, they are marching for Charlotte. Cheatham has not yet crossed Broad River; was making preparations to do so to-day. The bridges you wished destroyed were all burned by Captain Northrop of my staff. An infantry lieutenant and seven men were murdered yesterday by the Eighth Texas Cavalry after they had surrendered. We found their bodies all together and mutilated, with paper on their breasts, saying, "Death to foragers. " Eighteen of my men were killed yesterday and some had their throats cut. There is no doubt about this, general, and I have sent Wheeler word that I intend to hand eighteen of his men, and if the cowardly acts is repeated, will burn every house along my line of march, and that can be reached by my scouting parties. I have a number of prisoners, and shall take a fearful revenge. My people were deliberately murdered and by a scourting of 300 men commanded by a lieutenant-colonel. I will try and see the general-in-chief at the bridge.

Very respectfully, &c.,
                        J. K. Kilpatrick,
                        Brevet Major-General.

Last edited by PetePaolillo; 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM.
                        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Peter,
                          Kilpatrick's message led to this message from Sherman to Wade Hampton:

HDQRS. MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI,
                          In the Field, Rocky Mount, S. C. ,
                          February 24, 1865.

Lieutenant General WADE HAMPTON, Commanding Cavalry Forces, C. S. Army:

GENERAL:
                          It is officially reported to me that our foraging parties are murdered after capture and labeled "Death to all foragers. " One instance of a lieutenant and seven men near Chesterville, and another of twenty "near a ravine eighty rods from the main road" about three miles from Feasterville. I have ordered a similar number of prisoners in our hands to be disposed of in like manner. I hold about 1,000 prisoners captured in various ways, and can stand it as long as you; but I hardly think these murders are committed with your knowledge, and would suggest that you give notice to the people at large that every life taken by them simply results in the death of one of your Confederates. Of course you cannot question my right to "forage on the country. " It is a war right as old as history. The manner of exercising it varies with circumstnaces, and if the civil authorities will supply my requisitions I will forbid all foraging. But I find no civil authorities who can respond to calls for forage or provisions, therefore must collect directly of the people. I have no doubt this is the occasion of much misbehavior on the part of our men, but I cannot permit ane enemy to judge or punish with wholesale murder. Personally I regret the bitter feelings engendered by this war, but they were to be expected, and I simply allege that those who struck the first blow and made war inevitable ought nt, in fairness, to reproach us for the natural consequences. I merely assert our war right to forage and my resolve to protect my foragers to the extent of life for life.

I am, with respect, your obedient servant,
                          W. T. Sherman,
                          Major-General, U. S. Army.
                          And this subsequent response:
                          HEADQUARTERS,
                          In the Field,
                          February 27, 1865.

Major General W. T. SHERMAN, U. S. Army:

GENERAL:
                          Your communication of the 24th instant reached me today. In it you state that it has been officially reported that your foraging parties are "murdered" after capture. You go on to say that you have "ordered a similar number of prisoners in our hands to be disposed of in like manner; " that is to say, you have ordered a number of Confederate soldiers to be "marked." You characterize your order in proper terms, for the public voice, even in your own country, where it seldom dares to express itself in vindication of truth, honor, or justice, will surely agree with yout in pronouncing you guilty of murder of your order is carried out. Before dismissing this portion of your letter, I beg to assure you that for every soldier of mine "murdered" by you, I shall have executed at once two of yours, giving in all cases preference to any offices who may be in my hands. In reference to the statement you make regarding the death of your foragers, I have only to say that I know nothing of it; that no orders given by me authorize the killing of prisoners after capture, and that I do not believe my men killed any of yours, except under circumstances in which it was perfectly legitimate and proper that they should kill them. It is a part of the system of the thieves whom you designate as your foragers to fire the dwellings of those citizens whom they have robbed. To check this inhuman system, which is justly execrated by every civilized nation, I have directed my men to shoot down all of your men who are caught burning houses. This order shall remain in force so long as you disgrace the profession of arms by allowing your men to destroy private dwellings. You say that I cannot, of course, question your right to forage on the country- "It is a right as old as history. " I do not, sir, question this right. But there is a right older, even, than this, and one more inalienable - the right that every man has to defend his home and to protect those who are dependent on him; and from my heart I wish that every old man and boy in my country who can fire a gun would shoot down, as he would a wild beast, the men who are desolating their land, burning their homes, and insulting their women. You are particular in defending and claiming "war rights. " May I ask if you enumerate among these the right to fire upon a defensess city without notice; to burn that city to the ground after it had been surrendered by the inhabitants who claimed, though in vain, that protection which is always accorded in civilized warfare to non-combatants; to fire the dwelling houses of citizen after robbing them; and the petrate even darker crimes than these - crimes too black to be mentioned? You have permitted, if your have not ordered, the commissioned of these offenses against humanity and the rules of war; you fired into the city of Columbia without a word of warning; after its surrender by the mayor, who demanded protection to private property, you laid the whole city in ashes, leaving amidst its ruins thousands of old men and helpless women and children, who are likely to perish of starvation and exposure. Your line of march can be traced by the lurid light of burning houses, and in more than one household there is now an agony far more bitter than that of death. The Indian scalped his victim regardless of age or sex, but with all his barbarity he always respected the persons of his female captives. Your soldiers, more savage than the Indian, insult those whose natural protectors are absent. In conclusion, I have only to request that whenever you have any of my men "murdered" or "dospised of," for the terms appear to be synonymous with you, you will let me hear of it, that I may know what action to take in the matter. In the meantime I shall hold fifty-six of your men as hostages for those whom you have ordered to be executed.

I am, yours, &c. ,
                          WADE HAMPTON,
                          Lieutenant-General.
                          Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                          1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                          Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Working...
                          X