1864 Presidential election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1864 Presidential election

I was trying to find out about who among Shermans Troops were able to vote and who they voted for at the 64 Presidential election. Of the units being portrayed for upcoming Bummers this is what I found in Glatthaar's book "The March To The Sea and Beyond". I thought I would share it because it will make for good firper discussion since the election was Nov. 8th 1864.

76th Ohio along with other units not mentioned from
    Ohio voted 311 to 107 in favor of Lincoln.

1st Missouri and 8th MO along with portions or all of some other Missouri units overwhelmingly voted for Lincoln at a tune of 1,548 to McClellan 3

12th Indiana- State did not allow soldiers to vote in the field

103rd Illinois- State did not allow soldiers to vote in the field

97th Indiana- State did not allow soldiers to vote in the field

4th Iowa- 262 for Lincoln and 13 for McClellan

54th Ohio-see 76th Ohio

15th Michigan- 57 for Lincoln and 83 for McClellan WOW!!

48th Illinois- State did not allow soldiers to vote in the field

8th Missouri- See 1st MO

30th Ohio- See 76th OH

10th Iowa- no info found

93rd Illinois- State did not allow soldiers to vote in the field

48th Indiana- State did not allow soldiers to vote in the field. but unofficially they voted 51-1 in favor of Lincoln

63rd Illinois- State did not allow soldiers to vote in the field

4th Minnesota- The state disallowed their votes along with other MN units votes because they arrived too late.

If anybody has other info on this please share it! I think the boys from 15th Michigan better be prepared to answer some tough political questions regarding their choice of McClellan....HA HA
    Last edited by PetePaolillo; 05-11-2009, 07:22 PM.
    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Re: 1864 Presidential election

31st Wisconsin:

Lincoln: 424

McClellan: 70

Tim Surprenant
    Tim Surprenant

Comment

Originally posted by Camp_Randall View Post
      31st Wisconsin:

Lincoln: 424

McClellan: 70

Tim Surprenant
      Cool...Does this mean we have a Wisconsin company forming for Bummers?..I missed them.
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

103rd Illinois straw vote

H.H. Orendorff, Co. F 103rd Ill., wrote in a letter from 'Near Vinings Station GA' dated Nov 6, 1864, to his brother:

"... We held and election in the Regt yasterday the Regt gave Lincoln 59 majority, Our election was merely a test. Our Comp gave McClellan 8 majority 21 voted for McClellan & Pendleton and 13 for Lincoln and Johnson ..."

"We Are Sherman's Men" The Civil War Letters of Henry Orendorff
        by William M. Anderson
        Western Illinois University 1986

I knew I saw it somewhere but I had to dig it out,
        John
        John Pillers
        Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

A Letter that is currently on eBay from the 76th Ohio mentioning the regiment's vote total:

Near Challahoveha R
          November 9/64
          Dear Sister Lizzie,
          I was very glad to receive a letter from you & have took a long time in answering it.We are resting now near the challahoveha for a few days and then expect to make another raid through the Country to Savannah & Mobile it will be easy done for their is no enemy between here and there Hood and his Army there General Thomas can take care of him. We have just come off of a raid in which we lived like Kings on it we had the best the country afforded & plenty of it. It is a rich country between here & those places so you see we will have plenty to eat I suppose you wonder how we will hold the City of Atlanta & the Railroad we are not going to hold them the doomed city we are blowing up now " listen what noise is that it is the building blowing into the air" Oh it makes me sad to hear the doom place blowing upthe city that so many of our brave comrades fought & died to get & now it is being put to ruins we are going to tear the railroad up so that it cannot ever be used more & then desert the country around here I will not dwell on this subject any more so I will pick up another As you mentioned in your letter that I was saved several times by my invisable friends I know it for different times when I have scaped through dangerous places I thought it was by their influence for instance before Atlanta when I went on picket the rebs commenced sheeling us& one shell busted right before usnot ten feet & I thought then they had protected me for generly the pieces fly ahead of the shell but this time they did notOh I ought to be so thankful to them for it. The election went off pretty well yesterday there was 85 votes for Mac cllean & 180 for Lincoln. There is a state agent here to take our moneyI will send it by him. News is getting scarse so I will close I am well & I hope this may find you thhe same. So good by
          Your ever loving Brother
          Willie G. Baugh

P.S. Do not answer until you hear from me again W. Baugh
          November 10 1864 P.S. I received my money yesterday I got one hundred sixity nine dollars and fifty centsI send you one hundred & fifty five dollars & will keep the remainder. Their is a dollar each for Mary & Attie for presents that I promised them & five for you and Mother Tell Pop that I could of got Government Bonds but I thought greenbacks would do better Most of the boys took Bonds I send Pop the receit to draw the money & have sent it by a state agent he can draw it as soon as he wants to
          Dane Utter
          Washington Guard

Comment

Working...
          X