Bummers weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummers weather

Hey Georgia folk, what is the weather like that time of the year, South of Atlanta?
    Frank Perkin

Re: Bummers weather

This should answer your question Frank.

David Parent

The Cracker Mess
    MLK Mess
    Black Hat Boys
    WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Well, when the NASCAR race was in town that time of year it was usually cold and raining. The weekends before and after the race were warm and sunny.
      So to answer your question, it could be nice weather. Then again it could be miserable weather. But it might be somewhere in between.
      Y'all think I got a future as a weatherman?
      Tom Dodson
      47th Ga
      Tom Dodson

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Dodson View Post
        Well, when the NASCAR race was in town that time of year it was usually cold and raining. The weekends before and after the race were warm and sunny.
        So to answer your question, it could be nice weather. Then again it could be miserable weather. But it might be somewhere in between.
        Y'all think I got a future as a weatherman?
        Tom Dodson
        47th Ga
        Most definitely!
        David Parent

The Cracker Mess
        MLK Mess
        Black Hat Boys
        WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

There is no subsitute for a local person who lives there!
          Frank Perkin

Comment

In Georgia if you don't like the weather wait a couple days and it'll change to something totally different. Its been terrible hot lately then a few days ago it felt like fall with record lows, now we are headed back to hot again. I've seen Novembers where its snowing then the next year you might be eatin' turkey in a t-shirt.
            Captain Andy Witt
            52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
            Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

Originally posted by unclefrank View Post
              There is no subsitute for a local person who lives there!
              Perhaps, but the link I gave you is based on historical data, as opposed to someones recollection of conditions at a time of year. Heck, if you were to ask me what the weather is like in my neck of the woods in mid November I don't believe it would be totally accurate. But, some people are "students" of weather and have better memories than others.

Bottom line Frank is you won't freeze at night cuz your 1st Sgt. is gonna be spoonin ya and keepin ya as warm as a pig in a blanket:wink_smil
              David Parent

The Cracker Mess
              MLK Mess
              Black Hat Boys
              WIG

Comment

Weather During the First 10 Days of the “March to the Sea”
                Taken from “Southern Storm” by N.A. Trudeau

According the author these weather measurements were compiled by using diary and journal accounts from the civilians and soldiers involved. He had help from a graduate student in weather and climate at the University of Georgia to compile the temperatures.

The cities listed “under the gun” had soldiers getting close, entering the town, burning buildings or taking food.

Day One, Tuesday November 15, 1864: Weather: partly cloudy low 40s to mid 50s. Cities “under the gun”: Lithonia, Stockbridge, Jonesboro

Day Two, Wednesday November 16, 1864: Weather: cloudy low 40s to mid 50s.
                Cities “under the gun”: Conyers, McDonough, Lovejoy’s Station, Bear Creek Station

Day Three, Thursday November 17, 1864: Weather: clear mid 40s to upper 50s.
                Cities “under the gun”: Covington, Social Circle, Rutledge, Jackson

Day Four, Friday November 18, 1864: Weather: cloudy AM, rain PM mid 40s to upper 50s.
                Cities “under the gun”: Madison, Buckhead, Newborn, Planter’s Factory, Monitcello, Hillsboro

Day Five, Saturday November 19, 1864: Weather: rain, low 40s to upper 50s.
                Cities “under the gun”: Shady Dale, Greensboro, Clinton, Griswoldville

Day Six, Sunday November 20, 1864: Weather: rain, low 40s to upper 50s.
                Cities “under the gun”: Eatonton, Monticello, Hillsboro, Blountsville, East Macon (cavalry raid)

Day Seven, Monday November 21, 1864: Weather: rain AM, snow, PM, low 30s to mid 40s.
                Cities “under the gun”: Milledgeville, Gordon

Day Eight, Tuesday November 22, 1864: Weather: snow AM, clear PM, upper 20s to low 40s.
                Cities “under the gun”: Milledgeville, Irwinton
                Battle of Griswoldsville

Day Nine and Day 10, Wednesday/Thursday November 23-24, 1864: Weather: clear upper 20s to low 40s.
                Federals consolidate around Milledgeville, Gordon, and Irwinton and send out foraging parties.

ALL be prepared for any type of weather. What is posted here is true for today. Even though that part of Georgia rarely gets snow until December it could happen. It could also be cold and rain. But the men of 1864 toughed it our for 4 years, I think us "Campaigners" can handle it for a weekend.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Bottom line Frank is you won't freeze at night cuz your 1st Sgt. is gonna be spoonin ya and keepin ya as warm as a pig in a blanket

Lucky for me, my mental defences are blocking out that image!
                  Frank Perkin

Comment

The weather usually runs like this: During the first part of the year, it's pretty cold. Then, it warms up some and is very pleasant for a while. After that it gets really hot and humid! It will stay that way for a bit, then cool down and get pretty cold again. And sometimes there will be precipitation.

Hope that helps. :wink_smil
                    Michael Comer
                    one of the moderator guys

Comment

The good citizens of JawJaw will no doubt cheerfully donate extra layers of clothing to us should it get cold...and shelter us should it rain. And if they decline the honor, the resultant fires should keep us warm and dry us out ;)
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I realize that the recollections of someone who has lived in an area for over 50 years is not as accurate as "historical data" but it is impossible to predict the weather for Bummers this far in advance. As has been stated, I have seen November weather when your official campaigner shorts and t-shirt would be in order. I have also seen snow flurries in early November.
                        We usually just call the cat in and if he is wet then we predict rain.
                        I am sure it is every Jawja native's intention to give the folks in blue a warm welcome.
                        Tom Dodson
                        47th Ga
                        Born in Atlanta and Georgia resident for 59 years
                        Tom Dodson

Comment

Whatever it is it won't be as cold as Outpost 2K
                          Christopher Wilson

Comment

Mike Comer's assement of the weather in the south east is pretty spot on. He is a sage!

Doug Cooper, if you want to wear woman's woolen work dresses as your "extra layer" then have at it. But... I think you'll have a fight of it looking a the list of civilian participants. However I as one of the event staff won't stop you.:D
                            Herb Coats
                            Armory Guards &
                            WIG

Comment

Working...
                            X