Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather

Ten day weather prediction calls for partly to mostly cloudy over the next weekend with highs in the mid to upper 60s and lows in the low 50s. There should be rain just north on Friday and Saturday, so watch to see what develops with that system.
    Mike Ventura
    Shannon's Scouts

Re: Weather

Mike,
    Be careful not to scare folks away with talk of rain. Such rumors have been known to deminish the combat efficiency of event participants or cause them to shy away or even desert.
    Tom Yearby
    Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Mike:

Coming from Ohio, those temperatures sound downright balmy. I'm sure the Wisconsin and Minnesota guys up there on the edge of the arctic circle would agree. I'll bring the sunscreen. :D

Tom, I hear that rain makes people melt. I guess it is Wicked Witch of the West Syndrome?
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

Eric,
        I think the possibility of rain will have little effect on attendance. This is largely due to the fact that people have discovered that the real soldiers that they represent actually delt with adverse weather and that to call themselves true "authentics" they must too. My buckeye tree is loaded with a fresh crop of buckeyes. I will have one for you but I am still a Hawkeye fan!
        Tom Yearby
        Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

My buckeye tree is loaded with a fresh crop of buckeyes. I will have one for you but I am still a Hawkeye fan!
          Oh goody! A Poisonous Nut! Awesome. Well, it looks like both of us will be wondering about a certain game on November 14th. ;)
          ERIC TIPTON
          Former AC Owner

Comment

I predict rain in biblical propotions. My comrade and I were planning to bring an oil-cloth canoe, so that we can ride the flood to safety, but then realized that by virtue of the fact that temperatures will plummet to below zero, all the rain will turn to snow and the river will freeze. So we are bringing a sled instead, which we intend to tie to the Skunk Ape, who will carry us to the Land of Abraham. With everyone's gear.

This is the event thread for the retreat from Moscow, right?
            Yours in The Cause,
            Will Tatum
            Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Moscow?

Shut up he's on a roll...
              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Without horses and mules to eat, the weaker members of the various foraging parties should be extremely circumspect about their circumstances. Then again, the arctic blast will probably dispatch them with alacrity early in the event.
                Yours in The Cause,
                Will Tatum
                Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Will,
                  You are indeed on a roll. Will Napoleon desert his men and flee back to Paris?

However, my positive slant that adverse weather will not diminish attendance is not based on the true behavior of many enactors. I just hope that anyone that checks the forecast and doesn't attend because of a 30% chance of rain, or flees at the first drop of rain will not begin posting their AAR's until after the event is officially over.
                  Tom Yearby
                  Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

AAR: I have encountered scouts who tell me there may be a 30% chance of rain when Sherman's troops begin to move on Molena. Will review reports and decide on course of action in about 8 days. Over.
                    Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
                    Terry Pratchett

Comment

Fergus for the weekend Molena and the surounding locales will = Henry and Newton Counties. 150 years ago Uncle Billy said "Hell No!" when given the option of going towards Molena, Thomaston, and the Pine Mountain area. (Totally Made Up)

If moisture in the sky scares you then perhaps you are one of the "Sugar Made" people from the Bradbury stories. (also Totally Made Up)

Lists work both ways.. Mwah ha ha ha ha ha :tounge_sm
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Another note: Who cares if it rains. (love ya Mike!)
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

Ya'll:

I used to work TV station and I knew (and still know) the weatherman there pretty well. He used to say that weather forecasts are only truly accurate 48-24 hours before any particular timeframe measured. This means that we truly don't know what weather we will have at the event until 48-24 hours from the occurrence of the event and even then, God may dictate otherwise.

Bottom line: You can put some faith in weather forecasts, but forecasts are still that... trying to predict the future... and you know how that can go-only somewhat accurate at best.

Whatever the weather, we'll make the best of it... we always do at events.

See ya'll there!

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

If you want to know what the weather is...stick your head out the window in the morning...Or out from under the gum blanket....

Pete Bedrossian
                            150th NY
                            "we light fires under water"
                            [FONT="Georgia"]
                            Pete Bedrossian
                            150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
                            [/FONT
                            ]

Comment

I haven't melted at an event, yet. I don't intend to melt at this one.

If anything, rain will make us foragers more pissy and determined to take anything and everything from the poor civilians in retaliation for having to be there in the first place.

Maybe we should have Grumpy Dave dance naked around the monuments at Gettysburg: That should draw all the rain east of the Mississippi up there!
                              Bernard Biederman
                              30th OVI
                              Co. B
                              Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                              Outpost III

Comment

Working...
                              X