A Walk in the River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Walk in the River

Ah, Bummers. One of my fondest reenacting memories. Being with the Georgia Militia, and being so grossly outnumbered (at least in the parking lot) was something this feller will never forget. Two of the Bitter Brothers made this event, and we took everything that was thrown at us. I served with two of the finest officers I've ever met, and I would follow these men into the very gates of hell itself to this day.

One thing that I still have trouble with even now is eating peanuts. When we got up at 4AM to cook our salt pork, my messmate and I discovered that we had one boiler between us and no fry pan. We improvised, using my plate which has tall sides, and we figured would work well. It started out well. About 10 minutes into cooking in pitch blackness, we failed to realize the grease had risen rather high. Suddenly, my plate went up a nuclear explosion, similar in both brightness and heat radiated (to this day it is still scorched a solid, shiny black). As a result, we subsisted on nothing but peanuts from Friday night until Saturday night. Anytime I eat peanuts now, it brings me back.

Still, by far the best part of the event for me was when our small, understrength company charged the main body of the Federal hoard on Sunday......and actually pushed them back. I think they were so surprised, they never realized there were only 13 of us in Company A, 11th Georgia Militia (aka..."The Dirty Baker's Dozen")
    John Spain
    4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

I still hate sweet potatoes.
      Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
      My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Mr. Spain,

I feel the same way about peanuts. After billygoating it all day with no food, little water, and a near traumatic experience with a 40 foot long cottonmouth down by the river . . . . . a handfull of us from the 93rd Ill foraging party found a bunch of spilled peanuts half buried in dust in the dirt roadbed when we got back atop the ridge and ravenously began to pick them out. I still look at that as one of the all time low points in my life as far as being reduced to that point. Bummers was definately one of those events that just gets neater and neater everytime you think back on it. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
        Jake Koch
        The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
        https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
        -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
        -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Working...
        X