X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR Bummers

Somebody has to say it:

I had fun. How about you?**

(On the road and still walking towards the Tensaw)

**Charles Heath, About 2002 and a Whole Bunch of Times After That
    Last edited by Spinster; 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM. Reason: Footnoting
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: AAR Bummers

So what did you have fun doing? Since I wasn't able to go I'd really like to hear an actual AAR.
    Brian White
    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Well Brian, right this moment, I'm proped up in a burger joint drinkin a Co-cola and counting my bruises and puncture wounds. In a minute I'll get on the big road, swing by and shake out my stuff and go relieve my DaddySitter.

I like raw turnips and I gnawed on several I found on the road.

My shoes are blown out. That's a right long rocky road for an old woman to make at a right good clip.

I had a pretty damm good fight with a Yankee and he's some the worse for wear.

Somebody else will have to say what I think about a certain rollin son of the earth with a double barrel. Wouldn't be ladylike for me to do so.

But I did have fun. And some fellers worked mighty hard to make it so.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I'll be the first to say it, as I'm sure others, probably all 2nd Division will say the same. I did not have fun, in the least.
        Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

By my calendar/clock, it's Sunday, 15NOV09 @ 1:12pm. I'm thinking the "Bummers" event is now history and am looking forward to hearing all about it. I am one of "those guys" who registered and paid many moons ago. But, my work schedule changed dramatically, and thus I had to bow out. I think I can speak for a bunch of folks on the AC when I say "We want details!" The good, the bad, the ugly; give us all the low-down. I thank ya'll in advance for your thorough and quick replies.
          John Marler
          Franklin, TN

Comment

I was in the same foraging group as mr english and I had a blast. the march was damn tough at times but enjoyable. I've done worse in this hobby. we in the second div did get 'lost' for a bit it seemed, we marched over the same ground a couple times, but did all the actual foraging parties all know where to go all the time? once we made it to a homestead around 3pm or so all was well. I personally found a huge satchell of grub and distibuted it amongst my pards an all who were hungry. we had a spirited firefight defending the homestead sat night. Don't let Mr English speak for all of us 2nd div folks. we of company a of the cvg had a blast as part of the 48th IL. six started and six finished.
            Bob Martin
            Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"
            Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
            sigpic

Comment

I want news of my Scottish, German and English comrades... Let return them the old continent... ;)
              For the American comrades??? Let also go into their houses, but if they want to come on the old continent with the European comrades... They also can :) :) :)
              William Miconnet
              French Mess
              AES
              BGR & IPW Survivor
              Never ever give up!
              In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
              I believe!

Comment

My thoughts are still coalescing, but in the van of initial feelings:

I'm not climbing a mountain in brogans again.
                I've got a blood blister big enough to name on my foot.
                I hurt in places that it's been a long, long time since I've hurt in them.
                The Third Division will march anywhere, do anything, and b!tch about it all day long, and love every single blessed minute of it.
                The Hawkeyes of the 10th Iowa lead the way, all day, every day.
                Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Donaldson View Post
                  The Third Division will march anywhere, do anything, and b!tch about it all day long, and love every single blessed minute of it.
                  I couldn't say it any better myself. I still have a huge grin on my face.
                  I personally didn't make Georgia howl, but I sure walked all over it.

I thank the southern women for the wonderful can of green beans left carefully under a log. They will make a fine addition to my hog meat tonight.
                  Paul Goudeau
                  Tick Creek Troublemakers

Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline - Vegetius

Comment

As far as the cavalry role went I feel it safe to speak for all the troopers in sayin WE had a bang up time we had 1 spirited fight with a large party of apparently lost yanks at the Double cabin hill when we caught them between a prtion of troopers who assulted the homesite on foot in conjunction with the charge of our mounted comerades. The terrain was very rough in a lot of places and but we found very little that was impassable. We tailed Corbins column out and kept trying to bag a few more yanks to go with our already sizable collection. Wish we could have had more interaction with more of the Feds but I imagine we all crossed paths quite often. I want to thank the event organizers for a great job Weknow that food and water was placed for the Feds as we were passing it all weekend long!! So if it was not found then maybe just maybe the Federal army needs to brush up on its mapreading skills
                    Guy M Musgrove
                    Critter Co / Shannon's Scouts
                    My bad Homes!!
                    Last edited by GMM64; 11-15-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

and who be you homes?
                      Bob Martin
                      Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"
                      Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
                      sigpic

Comment

I also want to thank all the Feds we encountered as it seemed ALL were trying to treat the situations in a realistic manner. The civilians we encountered were a great plus to the event. And the militia..... well they were for the most part very militia-like although as we were potraying Texans and attempting to protect their fellow-Georgians some did not appear to be in to much of a hurry to assist in their defense , although I suppose all in all they were VERY militia- like!!! So Thanks All the way around WE had a very good time We had mounted men all the way from Conneticut to Iowa and Texas join us this weekend and I want to give a SPECIAL Thanks to those troopers! I also wish to thank the 7th Tenn. for really beefing up our ranks with quality troopers So once again thanks to all of the participants and organizers who put forth a huge effort to make a VERY unique event happen, despite the problems that were encountered
                        Guy M Musgrove
                        Critter Co/Shannon's Scouts

Comment

- Lack of situational awareness
                          - Lack of logistical adaptability
                          - Lack of contingency planning
                          - Complete command and control breakdown
                          - Participant endangerment

As an immersion event I would expect to experience many moments where I am disconnected from the 21st century, exposed to situations consistent with known historical events, and enveloped in the fog of ignorance or knowledge based upon the limits and requirements of my rank and responsibility.

What we witnessed was something completely different.

At the start, we marched through the night, ostensibly to our pre-prescribed camp site, one which late arrivals could find, one where water was readily available, and one where the organization of the site made it possible for the command in the field to organize control and structure as it sees fit. Instead, there was a sophomoric night-fire event, and a dangerous advance up a dark hillside, through brambles, hidden holes, sharp rocks, and fallen trees.

The night was blessed with beautiful weather, and a wooded environment, where everyone seemed able to find as much scrap-wood as they needed. Rations were cooked, and people bedded down to a good night. The time of arrival at the campsite, however, was midnight, and this made for a short night. When false dawn broke, most participants packed up quickly and prepared to march. Dawn was at 7am. We did not begin to move until around 9:30.

We went back down the rocky slope to the river road.

From the main Boy Scout camp, southward, 4 trails run in parallel. The western road is the River Road, which runs along the Flint River. Because of the heavy rains earlier in the week from Tropical Storm Ida, the Flint River was in flood. In several places the road was washed over, and, instead of seeking the next higher trail, which ran along the ridge line above the river, the decision was made by command to continue along the River Road. A path was carved for single-file movement on a slippery 45 degree slope. The path was narrow and difficult, even for experienced hardcore reenactors and modern military veterans. But, participants in this event included men in their 60s, and farbs of considerable size.

When a participant, regardless of their physical ability or military experience, signs up for an event, and particularly a pay event, the coordinator becomes responsible for the welfare of that individual. Conditions along the river road were not safe. At any time a participant could have slid down slope and into the fast moving muddy river and no one would have been in a position to safely recover that individual.

When the command became aware that they were grossly behind schedule, 4 hours later, the decision was made to attempt to scale the 60' bluff so we could approach the ridgeline road, and enter the scenario. Most were tired and hungry. The climb was difficult and slippery. Though various individuals assisted in the climb, there was no protection against a participant slipping and sliding off the bluff to the rocks below. One of those assisting was a 1st sergeant without a weapon who appeared to be part of the coordinator staff.

As he took my hand to help me up slope, he apologized to me and those behind me for the situation. I asked, "Did no one realize it rained this week, and that the river might flood?" He said, "No, not really." Then I asked, "Did the grand master plan not include any flexibility that would allow us to avoid this?" And he responded, "No, there was no flexibility."

Shortly after that, as we negotiated the 45-degree slope above the bluff, an old man lost his footing and fell backward, sliding headfirst into a comrade who caught him and prevent him from continuing his slide over the ledge to the rocks below.

Once to the top of the ridge, which rose 800 feet above the river, there was only enough water for 75% of the men who made the climb. We were then told to go to another location where there was a cache of water. Upon arrival that water was also insufficient.

It was now 2pm. We had no food, not enough water, and no officer seemed to have the knowledge of where to go, and how to contact logistical assistance.

At this point my comrades and I witnessed a lieutenant yelling at his divisional commander seeking desperately for food and water for his men. It was obvious he had ceased to be a commander within the scenario, and stepped out as a true officer whose sole concern was the safety and well-being of his men. This attracted our attention.

I had, earlier in the week, found a PDF of some biking trails in the area, and sort-of knew the configuration of the 4 roads and the cross-overs. So I asked the good lieutenant if he had a map. He did not. He insisted that we join his unit since ours had walked on to the newly promised cache of water and food. My friends and I were uncertain, and decided to wait. We then saw a unit approaching with some of the older and less-fit participants intent on taking a path back to the Boy Scout camp which some, who should be in the know, were saying ended in an impassable ravine. The corporal in the company had a map. We asked to look at it and agreed that the lieutenant's information on his location and the ravine was wrong. He insisted on continuing to the promised cache. We decided to help the determined unit of worn-out people find their way home.

Within 20 minutes we had returned to the camp of the previous night, and found our vehicle 20 minutes after that. 4 and 1/2 hours in, 40 minutes back.

In the parking lot we heard other stories of confusing activity. Some of these imply that the entire scenario was a joke. But on the drive back to the highway, we ran across more participants who were lost and disconnected. Some of them were even part of the coordinator or command staff. They reported finding no food and no water.

As I write this, I have no way of knowing if all participants have been safely encamped for the evening, or if some may be lost and wandering the wilderness area.

I do not report on this from a minor perspective, but as a witness to the activity of an entire division, following in the path of those who had marched before and considerate and connected to those who followed behind.

Someone in charge should have inspected the site given the history of massive unprecedented flooding in Northern Georgia this year. The decision-makers should have been aware of the landscape, and should have been prepared to execute alternative plans to ensure that the scenario was resolved as closely to the master plan as possible so that all participants could have had the opportunity to achieve that immersion experience. Divisional command should have been in touch constantly with opposition control, and logistical support so that all resources were properly utilized, and that all participants were protected and secure.

The greatest damage that could come from this is that someone is seriously injured, or even killed. This would be bad not just for those involved, but for the coordinators, the BSA site, and the noble endeavor to preserve authentic historical presentation in the reenactor community.

Sincerely,

Gary Ward
                          The Stragglers
                          Gary L. Ward
                          Straggler
                          Columbus, Georgia

Comment

For my part I had a good time. The militia did what the militia was supposed to do (watch the roads, march, and sit in trenches). While I would have liked to have done a little more fighting, I felt that we did a very accurate portrayal of the 11th Georgia Militia. However I will say that sitting on top of the ridge all morning was not very interesting (listening to distant musket fire). But once again that is what the militia did for most of the campaign. So for my part I cannot complain too much. Thanks

Andrew
                            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I have been through my share of reenacting events, large and small, authentic and mainstream, well-done and poorly-done, and I can say without a doubt that this was the worst event I have ever attended. I have never been so seriously put into jeopardy at an event before and my condemnation of those responsible could not be more severe.
                              I was the Sergeant of the 93rd Illinois, "The Billy Goats," part of the 3rd Division. Friday, we left to the torches that almost instantly burned out as there was little cloth on them. After climbing the ridge in the confusing and jumble night attack on Friday, my men and I formed our part of the perimeter along with the rest of the Federal force on the ridge. Though there was sporadic firing from other units during the night, it was a relatively peaceful and pleasant evening.
                              Saturday morning, we set off at the leisurely hour of 8:30, attempting to move along the river road that was indistinguishable from the river for most of its length, forcing us to detour on the hillside, instead of pushing up to the road running parallel to our path on the ridge crest. I marvel at the men of 2nd and 3rd Divisions who made that march that there were not more injuries and that no one needed to be medically evacuated, since there was no practicable way to do so. Clearly, I was in the company of uncommonly able and intrepid men. After we edged in a halting stop-start manner for 3-4 hours on only one canteen of water and no food despite the 75-80 degree weather and the cruelly difficult work we were engaged in, we had to then climb the ridge by the most difficult avenue available short of scaling the actual cliffs to reach the afore-mentioned road running on the ridge crest to get water. We were told we were only to get a half of a canteen per man - that's one pint of water - however, my men weren't able to get ANY water, as the event planners had not put enough water there. After a pause, we followed the path back to the river, where a stream was available to fill canteens. Thankfully, iodide tablets were available to our foraging party, so we were able to fill our canteens for the first time in five hours. For the next hour we moved and foraged, going far to the south of our appointed area, uncovering enough sweet potatoes for one per man. It was at this point that Mr. Tipton lead our part up a several hundred foot rise with an incredibly steep grade. After the event, one man compared the climb to the scene in Hamburger Hill when the men are crawling on their hands and knees up the hillside. I am intensely proud of my men that every single one of them refused any help and made the climb on their own, driven by themselves and the support of their comrades.
                              It was at this point that Mr. Tipton abandoned us on the hill, which was the last time my men or I saw him for the event. He said that on the path we were on at the next intersection there was food and water, and that he was going to go check it out and be right back. After waiting 45 minutes without any sign of Mr. Tipton, Jeremy Bevard, my Lieutenant, and I sat down and pulled out the topographical maps and compasses we had brought to the event. We figured out approximately where we were at and decided to follow the path to where Mr. Tipton said he would be going, hoping to find food or water, as we were now separated from Mr. Sorchy and had no water and only the sweet potatoes we had found earlier. Coming to the crossroads that we had been assured to find both food and water at and finding nothing, we sent out two search parties. I was fortunate enough to find a supply of potable water and a large path to our East. After filling our canteens, with the time now about 5:30, we proceeded along the road, attempting to get out to the main roads and finding some assistance before night fell. We were going to abandon the event for the sake of safety, since clearly we were so utterly failed by the event staff. It was at this time that we ran across civilians. They were absolute angels of mercy sharing everything they could possibly spare with us, giving us our first nourishment since very early that morning when we had finished the scraps of pork we had been given. After a break, we continued North, coming across a civilian cabin, where we found massed amounts of food, including ham, cabbage, pickles, biscuits, bread, corn, sweet potatoes, sausage, and various other sundries. We continued our advance until we spotted militia pickets. Looking at our maps, Lt. Bevard and I determined that we would have to move through that crossroads in order to reach the area that we could hear 1st and 2nd Divisions fighting an hour earlier. We decided to attack and were organizing ourselves when Wheeler's Cavalry came down the road. We set up a hasty ambush and waited until they were in a perfect crossfire. At that point, I called out to them that they were to consider themselves our prisoners. They showed the white flag for a parley and informed us of the real-world situation that the rest of Mr. Sorchy's column was still missing and out of radio contact. After providing all the information we could, as we were the last to see that column, albeit 3 hours previously, we arranged a truce for the night and retreated up the road and made camp. At the camp, we came across a section of the 63rd Illinois that had staked out on their own for home, frustrated with the course of the division's actions that day. Those 4 remained with our party to the end, fully becoming part of our "Billy Goats."
                              Sunday morning, we moved out around 6:30 and came back to the civilians at the cabin. We tore up the floorboards and found more food and prepared to destruct the cabin. The civilians bravely defended their cabin, flinging water time and time again, frustrating our attempts. At this point, we heard the militia's bugles sounding the "first call" then the "assembly." We moved towards them for a short distance, then cut West cross-country in order to avoid detection since we were heavily outnumbered. We linked up with the Moss Falls trail about 3/4 of a mile away and preceded East. Coming to an intersection, a rearguard and I harassed the rebels while Lt. Bevard moved the rest of the party to the East, coming in contact with the 116th Illinois under Lt Aaron Hooks, the pickets of the 2nd Division. We fell back on their position, only to have a force of rebel cavalry and infantry follow us, probably assuming we were a patrol from 2nd Division. After attempting to force the rebels back off the hillock they had occupied, we were ordered back my 2nd Division command, as the division was retreating. We were ordered to form their rearguard. We fell back with the 2nd Division to the ridge where the 1st MO Engineers were holding a vital crossroads to refill canteens. From there, we moved back to the start point.
                              I am proud beyond description of the men who were in my party. Lt Bevard showed himself an able and resourceful leader. Our Corporals, Sean Collicot and Jack Koch were an immeasurable help, performing in an outstanding manner. The men themselves acted with calm and spirit of true soldiers. I cannot speak too highly of them. Even in the worst of the situation, when there was little daylight, no food, no water, and we were very unsure of our position, they all remained positive and supportive of the plans Lt. Bevard and I came up with. Once we explained what we intended, they responded with a quiet determination that swells my heart with pride to think about. I could not have asked for better men with which to serve. Never have I seen men bond and coalesce more quickly and under such trying circumstances. I am gratified for the trust and confidence they constantly and consistently place on Lt. Bevard and I. If it were not for those men, the event would have been a waste to me. Any and all positive that I can say of the event is wholly due to those men and the manner in which we shared our experiences.
                              As to the event staff, I have several things to say. You blatantly endangered the lives of over 100 men in the 3rd Division column. On an unseasonably hot day while performing extraordinarily difficult work, our men had no food for at least 12 hours and no water for 4-5 hours at a time. That is utterly inexcusable. That someone did not have a serious heat casualty is something you should strongly thank God for tonight. Given the fact that there was serious attrition before the event even started, the preplaced water should have been more than sufficient for the event. If I had not brought iodide tablets for my men, most of them would have been unable to move at the point in our weekend when our safety was endangered and the ability to move in a timely manner was vital. The road we were to move along was clearly impassable, something that even a precursory look the day before would have demonstrated, and should not have even been attempted. An alternate route should have been available that still allowed the event to continue. Having the event host and scout lost and off the property, several miles from his intended destination on a site of only a few square miles in inconceivable. In the future, the acquisition of a GPS device is recommended since simple map and compass work was to arduous.
                              Finally, Mr. Tipton: You left us on a hill with no water, no food, and no way to communicate with anyone. When I asked Terry Sorchy after the event, he told me that you rejoined 3rd Division and continued to guide them. He also told me that it took 16 hours for the fact that we were no longer with the division to come out. How can you be so careless and reckless as to leave 16 men stranded and not even have the simple ability to let someone know? That is criminally negligent. Had Jeremy Bevard and I not had maps of the site and compasses - prohibited items - and a basic knowledge of land navigation, we very likely would have been lost along those trails without food or water until someone found us this afternoon SINCE NO ONE KNEW YOU LEFT US BEHIND. If you served under me in the United States Navy and had acted as such, you would right now be in a brig awaiting Court Marshal. Your actions were utterly unacceptable. You knowingly put men at risk through your carelessness and incompetence.
                              I just want to say thank you again to the ladies who rescued us , your are truly angels of mercy. Also, to the Billy Goats of the 93rd and 63td IL, I thank you for your resolve, calm, spirit, and good company.

Sincerely,
                              Andrew Roscoe
                              Sgt, 93rd IL
                              Andrew Roscoe,
                              The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
                              24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
                              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                              X