Bummer's Cavalry Perspective....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummer's Cavalry Perspective....

I am quite sure over on the infantry side there will be alot of discussion, AAR's, grips, accolades and re-hash on Bummers and of course, I urge everyone to post there when appropriate but.....I thought I might open a thread for some discussion from "our" point of view.

-What about the cavalry action? or, inaction?
    Texas and other Impressions?
    Scenarios?
    Positives and negatives of the event?
    The good, the bad and the ugly?

I have already gotten one report from one of our gentlemen but will let those that were there do the talking. So, when ya get a chance fellas, let us hear from you how it was.......

Ken R Knopp

Re: Bummer's Cavalry Perspective....

I was not with the Cav but I can tell you as a forager I was never more scared of calvary in my life. The ones I saw were some of the leanest, meanest SOB's I have seen and from what I heard they did their job right.
    Sam Harrelson
    Liberty Rifles
    Independent Volunteers
    Museum of the Confederacy

Comment

Darn good kits and even better period attitudes. The militia cav at Bummers were outstanding. They were downright evil to us yanks but kind to the civilians. Good effort by all from what I saw.
      Eric D. Wilson

Comment

Still waiting for some fellas to get home. :)
        Gerald Todd
        1st Maine Cavalry
        Eos stupra si jocum nesciunt accipere.

Comment

I had a great time. I got to shoot, chase, and capture Yankees while living out of the saddle. What more is there?

Mark Bridges
          7th Tennessee Cavalry
          Mark Bridges
          Culleoka, Tennessee

Comment

There were 30 authentic cavalry living historians joining to portray Shannon's Scouts, a special unit formed from the 8th Texas Cavalry. Participants came from as far as Iowa, Texas and Maryland. A good contingent of the 7th TN under Mark Choate really added to the event. There were no modern comforts beyond strategically placed water and hay, so it was living off the saddle for two days.

As those who were there know, the scenarios went the hell as the Feds were unable to initiate what appears to be the only plan due to the flooding Flint River putting their march off route under water. None of the scripted "meet-ups" took place because the Feds couldn't get there. So, from before dawn until late in the afternoon, there was riding and waiting, riding and waiting...

The terrain was some of the steepest and rockiest that I have ever ridden, and it certainly took its toll on the horses as at least five were injured or came up lame. None seemed to be injured severely, but they were unable to go on Sunday morning.

Saturday was a lot of riding and a lot of waiting - can't be more realistic than that! Late afternoon on Saturday saw an interesting development as one group of about 14 cavalry initiated an attack on a small Federal foraging party (of about 15) raiding some cabins. A second group of cavalry riders were nearby and, unaware of what was happening, rode to the sound of the guns and arrived in time to overwhelm and capture the Federals.

Later in the afternoon, a group of about 15, soon strengthened by the rest of the unit, rode to support the GA Militia against a large force of Yankees in the same area where the yankee capture had taken place an hour or so earlier. The militia were soon routed, despite the pleas of the cavalry commanders who urged them to halt and form a line. A line abreast of 30 horseman supported by militia could have been a determining factor in facing down the yankees, but the militia would have none of it and retreated down the hill, with sharp words being exchanged between the militia and the cavalry.

After that, Saturday came to a halt as real-world concerns for the well-being and location of several large Federal contingents became the focus of the event organizers.

I cannot report on Sunday's action, as my trailer-buddy's (Patrick MacAllister) horse was one of those unable to go on Sunday and we pulled out early.

Kudos to Guy Musgrove for a great performance in his first major command. A big "thanks" to Mark Choate and his calm and capable leadership. I would be remiss in not mentioning the huge part that Patrick Peterson played in making this event "cav friendly." "Pete" did all of the cav logistics (camp, water, hay...etc) virtually single-handed and without his effort, we would not have been able to play.

In terms of a critical assessment, the flooding of the Flint River threw the event off kilter before it started and the organizers scrambled to revise the plans. It is my opinion that a lack of map reading skills and the availability of maps among the federals greatly contributed to the chaos that ensued. In all my time doing events, this was the most severe terrain that I've ever witnessed. Many of the federals were ill prepared for the rigors of marching in these "hills," but a company of Army Rangers would have been taxed by this terrain. The terrain and the ground, which was rocky beyond description, took it's toll on the horses.

In terms of "authenticity," you can't get much more authentic than this, when "scenario" turns to "real life" and way-finding and survival skills in the woods take over.

A huge THANK YOU to Kiev, Robbie, Herb, Jason and all those who worked so hard to stage this event!
            Mike Ventura
            Shannon's Scouts

Comment

As a member of the militia, I got to interact with you cav. guys a few times. Yall were great! I hope the horses who were injured are ok.
              The cavalry should also be commended for searching, and finding all of the lost Federals (except for those who did the @ss-hole move of up and leaving the event without notifiying anyone). Without you guys the search would have been longer and much less authentic. Three cheers!
              Mark Taylor

Comment

In a word... "WOW"!

The event was harder on man and horse then any I have been in before. My horse was cut deep in a rear hock, which never bleed bad, but never would stop. He was all heart, as he pushed on for another 4 hours without refusing a step. I will say if we never ride the "falls trail" again, that will be fine with me and Deacon both!

We had a b#@% of a time finding the Federals (as they were lost and flooded somewhere else). Once we did find them at the Lone Star Hotel (twin cabins), it was a hell of a fight. With several additional waves of disorganized attacks by additional scavenger parties or stragglers. All told, I think we Killed a half dozen and captured close to 30, while losing our beloved pair leader in the fight.

After trying invain to get my horse's continued bleeding in check, I retired from the event around 1800 hrs. I have to say, leaving was one of the hardest choices of my life. I was not done huntin' Yanks yet and considered runnin' my horse until he dropped. But I'm glad I came to my senses before doing something stupid (thanks Scott!).

Once I got to the Tractor Supply in Macon and packed Deacon’s cut with wonder dust and taped shut with duct tape, the persistent bleeding stopped. He is doing fine now and I expected he will heal up given a few weeks of rest.

Mike Nickerson
                Proud to be a Critter!

PS: I keep reading about the lack of food and water for the Federals. All I can say if they kept moving, it would have been found... as we ran into the water/food stores in more than 15 spots along our way.

Comment

Mr. Ventura,
                  I must say that it was greatly pleasing to my comrade and I when it was a little too dark for you and your blue-coated friend to properly inspect our papers on Friday night. Your cavalry had harassed us minutes after arriving on site and later by the old general store. Our papers were clearly forged as we had deserted our posts with the 10th GA in Virginia and were making our way home. The cover story of my comrade being a Major and Chaplain worked well to get you away from us. We both had hands on ready to pull pistols and dispose of you quickly should you not believe our story.
                  [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
                  [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Being one of the three ladies that were residence of the cabins on the hill...I can say we were thrilled to see those Texas boys on horseback show up!!! Two fellows on horseback came in Fri. night just as we were sitting down to boiled sweet potatoes and rabbit stew. Although invited, they wouldn't dismount so we shared some handfulls of food with them as well as enjoying brief conversation in the darkness of the night. They had come to forwarn us of the Federals being nearby.
                    Early the next morning and several times throughout the day, they always seemed to come riding in at the most opportune times. It indeed made myself and my sisters feel somewhat safe. Later on Sat. when what seemed to be an entire battalion landed on our doorstep...we continued to watch, hopeing that those great lookin fellas on their sturdy and faithful steeds would once again rescue us!!!

Our hats are off to the cavalry....loved having you with us! You always seemed to know when we had some food cooking...and would ride up to our big cook table, hand out, waiting for a slice of ham, cooked yam, or dill pickles !\

Fond Regards
                    Vivian Murphy, aka Grace Good

Comment

Originally posted by btfire View Post
                      Mr. Ventura,
                      I must say that it was greatly pleasing to my comrade and I when it was a little too dark for you and your blue-coated friend to properly inspect our papers on Friday night. Your cavalry had harassed us minutes after arriving on site and later by the old general store. Our papers were clearly forged as we had deserted our posts with the 10th GA in Virginia and were making our way home. The cover story of my comrade being a Major and Chaplain worked well to get you away from us. We both had hands on ready to pull pistols and dispose of you quickly should you not believe our story.
                      Brian, I think you would have found the same true back then. Front-line units were less concerned with deserter trash (like you) than Yanks. It was more the rear guard's job to turn or shoot the cowards. We was lookin' for spys more than anything else.

Mike Nickerson

Comment

Im impressed from the picture I saw, hard to beat recreating a unit down to the last man, Shannon had 30 men, and 30 men and horses were fielded. Very impressive gentlemen.

Lee
                        Lee White
                        Researcher and Historian
                        "Delenda Est Carthago"
                        "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

My men were the Federal pickets (around the cabin where the Sat. afternoon capture happened) on Sat. evening during both the 'main' attack around 6 and then during some probing between 6:30 and 8. It was quite a rush for us, knowing the Cav. were out there, hearing the whinnies and hooves pawing the ground, and then having you come across that field at us. We never quite knew for sure how many (as I'm sure you did not either) we were facing which added to the pleasure. I don't know how many total cav/militia were in the area, but I think there were 5 different Fed. parties around those cabins so I don't think you could have overwhelmed us...but you could have made it interesting!

Mike-you are correct, I think if we as party leaders had maps it would have helped. We were at the mercy of our Division officer, who as has been documented, got separated from us. I suspect though, if it had been realized what the river was gonna do overnight, perhaps we'd have had maps. Still, we had a blast and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Regards,
                          Bob Minton
                          30th OVI Forage party
                          Bob Minton

Comment

Another, more authentic option than maps would have been to have 2 mounted men with each column to find the way for them, scout ahead etc.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Dave,
                              The terrain that was covered by the divisions along the river on Saturday was no place for a horse to ride. Literally, it was impassable to all but goats and the Federal Infantry.
                              Andrew Roscoe,
                              The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
                              24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
                              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                              X