Bummers - A Civilian Perspective.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummers - A Civilian Perspective.

First of all, I want to thank all the event organizers for putting on this event. It was truly worth the long drive. I went in with no expectations (as I try to do with all events) and came away with having a grand time. As a friend once said, "Life delivers or disappoints almost utterly based upon expectation." And I believe this also goes along with living history. If you go to an event expecting everything to turn out the way you want it to, you're always going to be disappointed. You can always have a good time no matter where you're at, but it's really up to you to make it happen.

There are things I would do differently (nothing to do with the event planning) as I think I tend to find more enjoyment doing a refugee impression rather than staying in one place all weekend. However, I had a fantastic time with Silvana, Carrie, Liz, Heather and Brandi (when she was visiting us). They are all good friends and we had lots of laughs all weekend.

As noted, it was one hell of a drive. Brandi and I left Iowa on Wednesday around 6:30p.m. and arrived in St. Louis, waited for the KC boys (Tater Mess) to pick us up for the rest of the drive. We got to the site on Thursday evening around 5p.m. Next day we pretty much waited around most of the day and chatted with people arriving. We finally got to our cabin early evening, just before dark. They loaded us with a ton of food and four chickens. I didn't think we'd get any chickens, so it was kinda nice having animals around the house, until we were told there were cougars and coyotes all around us. Luckily, the whole event I didn't see any of them nor did I see any snakes or scorpions they were telling us about.

The first night we all sat around the fire talking and sipping laudanum and wine that we found in the store (I don't know why the guys get to have all the good stuff, so I didn't feel bad helping myself. :) ) Carrie and Liz entertained us with some songs and it reminded me how I do need to learn a few period songs to sing on these lonely nights. Everyone was pretty tired, so they all went to bed except for Brandi and I. We sat next to the fire and talked awhile, then decided to bed down outside under the stars as there really was no more space in the cabin. I was fine with that, as the stars were beautiful and the fire kept me warm.

The next morning we woke up and got ready to start the day. A bunch of Cavalry showed up and it looked like they were planning to stay awhile. Brandi decided to take off so we wished her farewell. The day seemed to rush by and it is hard to think exactly what we all occupied ourselves with, besides making food, cleaning pans and trying to find a place to piss without the whole confederate army watching. (Sorry to be so crude, but it's unfortunately a rather big issue at these events, especially when we're told where we can go only to find that a bunch of soldiers decide to camp out right on that spot.) I know it probably seems like to the military that civilians really do nothing. Well, sometimes there is nothing to do and other times there's a million things to do. You just never know what it's going to be like. We pretty much have to come up with things to do ourselves, since we aren't told what to do or where to go. We always manage to have a good time, though.

Saturday evening we were told that many things had gone wrong with the scenario and that several people had left the event without informing anybody. We didn't know what was going to happen the rest of the event, since apparently the Federals were supposed to be in our camp Saturday night. This came to no surprise to me as this seems to happen at every event I've ever attended where there are planned scenarios. The thing with planning an event is realizing that things are going to go wrong, no matter how hard you try. You just have to roll with it. I personally love the scenarios that are not planned. They always come out so much more realistic. Half the time at reenactments I find myself sitting in the background watching a really bad movie with really bad actors. So when things go wrong, I'm actually kind of happy, because that means there's less of a chance it's going to turn out fake.

Sunday morning we woke up early as we didn't know what to expect and we wanted to be ready for anything. Brandi returned that morning with lots of news and stories of all her adventures. Not long after she arrived, we heard fighting in the distance. My "sister" Lizzy was expecting and it looked as if she was going to deliver very soon. I could see Federals starting to come out from everywhere. Liz, Carrie, Heather, Brandi and I hid in the cabin. Lizzy was starting her labor and screaming while Carrie helped her along. I peeked through the spaces in the wall and I saw a bunch of men surrounding our cabin. All of a sudden some man breaks through the door and demands us to leave. There was no way in hell we were going to leave our cabin, especially while Lizzie was in labor. Men began shoving their way into the house reaching over to the shelves and grabbing anything they could find. They would not leave, so I took plates and started throwing them at all the men. (You should be happy to know I picked the small plates so they wouldn't hurt so much and I tried to aim not too high and not too low. :) I hope I didn't hurt anyone too bad!) I have got to say, hurling those plates out the window was the highlight of this event for me, hands down. Herb told us we could throw plates and that he wouldn't mind it if we crashed a platter on Matt Woodburn's head or Pat Landrum. Unfortunately, I didn't see either of them near the cabin when all the commotion was going on. The other funny part was when Brandi grabbed a bottle of tooth powder and I told her to take off the cork and throw it out over all the guys. She didn't realize until afterwards that she got Jason Reinholz covered in white powder. He didn't look so thrilled and Brandi even felt bad, but I gotta say it was a funny site and it was hard to keep from laughing. Then I heard Jay Stevens saying how all of us women were whores so we started throwing dishes and bottles at him, but I must say that was also a moment where it was hard not to laugh. I don't know what is wrong with me, but I seem to want to laugh at all the serious moments. Although I admit I was a little scared at the beginning when everything happened so quickly and when those men pushed their way into our home. It was a great moment.

Later after the men had left and the event was officially over, Brandi and I decided to get our stuff and hike out instead of wait for a ride. I'm glad we did, because it was a fun hike and we were able to meet up with the Texas boys and some other civilians on our hike out. And I got to hear Fred Baker tell me once again how quiet I am. :p Maybe you can teach me some of your fancy words to use, Fred. Then I won't be accused of being so quiet at every event. :) Anyway, it's a good thing we met up with these guys, because apparently they had taken the wrong road, which we were about to take, so we were able to find the correct route and walk back to the parking lot where there were SHOWERS and drink and all of our friends. Thanks again for putting on the event, it was worth it! I don't care what anyone else says about it, I had a great time. If you couldn't handle it then maybe you shouldn't have come in the first place.

Damn, I did not mean to make this so long. Yikes.
    Anna Allen
    <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
    [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Re: Bummers - A Civilian Perspective.

Miss Anna,

At the Female Academy, where I was employed prior to the start of this damned war, I was often called upon to entice the wealthy and semi-wealthy to send their daughters for refinement and education. As a result, I fear that my propensity toward the spoken word continues despite the fact that I have laid aside my civilian life for that of a fighting man.

In the future, the Ground Hornets will gladly form a protective ring about you and any of your compatriots who wish to answer nature's call.

And, seeing as you have developed a fondness for spirits, we will see to it that a dram of rye may wet your parched throat when the need presents itself.

We will also be looking about for the baby's stolen scarf but that is another matter entirely.
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Anna,

I started to get the nervous giggles when Silvana started screaming. With her and Liz both screaming, Brandi and Heather screaming at the Yanks to get out of the cabin, the Yanks screaming and tearing into everything, the gun fire from both sides...it rattled my nerves.

I loved every moment!

Bummers II please!

Miss Carrie
      Carrie Craddock

Comment

I heard the babys name is Holler!

Fred, For all I know Liz had eight kids and is getting her own dime novel. Remember I wasn't there. I only sit at home look at the computer!
        Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 11-17-2009, 06:35 PM. Reason: I teach SKOOL!
        Nathan Hellwig
        AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
        "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Holler,

Though I did not instruct at the Female Academy- I only fill the classrooms so that our earstwhile instructors can ply their learned trade- I do know that one should write "the baby's name is Holler," rather than "the babies name is Holler."

When next we meet we can raise a glass to your newfound education. Unless, that is, my recently foresworn duty as "protector of she who pees" supersedes.

Kind regards,
          Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

I can only add a few things to Anna's excellent AAR. First, I want to thank Herb, who was an outstanding civilian coordinator with seemingly endless patience and good cheer. I know there are lots of people to thank for this wonderful experience and I fear I'll miss some names, but I know that Kiev "I calls em as I sees em" Thomasson, Jordan (don't know his last name), Linda Nyland, and Patrick Peterson did an immense amount of work. Jordan built us a wonderful hearth for our home.

We lived in an abandoned general store on the hilltop overlooking a beautiful wooded valley. The view was breathtaking, especially at sunrise and sunset and full of stars at night. Thanks to whoever took all the time to create those wonderful general store supplies -- there was an amazing variety of bottled and canned goods (including the infamous tooth powder), wine, jam, "laudanum" -- which we enjoyed sharing with Shannon's Scouts, and many other items, such as old silver, crockery, wrought iron pieces. I don't know what happened to it all -- I guess those thieving federals got most of it!

The main thing I want to write about was the fact that this experience taught me so much about civilian life during wartime. Although I had friends both uphill and downhill from me I could not visit them after Friday. It was just too dangerous, and with Liz so "near her time" I didn't want to leave & get stranded. So that was isolating and upsetting because I had no idea what was happening to friends and neighbors. The news we heard from refugees who passed us, or the Scouts or militia was sparse.

For me, the highlight of the event wasn't one incident s0 much as the general constant feeling of expecting something to happen, not knowing what was around the bend in the road, never knowing whom to trust. We were visited by two preachers; the first one looked as suspicious as a skunk ape, but he seemed to be willing to pray over Lizzie so we shared our food with him. He very kindly left us a small bit of chocolate (unbelievable!) which raised him in our estimation. When the second preacher came by the next day I was even more suspicious, but he was far better acquainted with the Good Book and read us from the Psalms. I very much enjoyed his visit but I'm afraid I don't know his name.

The constant watchfulness and anxiety was finally relieved the next morning. The little band of refugees chose to leave at daybreak -- theyhad a baby with them and in period or out of period, it would have been risky to stay with an attack expected momentarily.

What was interesting to me about this was that Lt. Hicks told us to evacuate, because he was fairly sure we would receive a scary visitation in the morning, but we couldn't leave Liz behind. She was not capable of moving, and the midwife (Carrie) insisted on staying as well. It was strange and moving to see the refugees leave our homestead in the morning, knowing that they would be safer than we were.

The attack on our home has been described elsewhere, but I want to add just a few words. First, it happened exactly the way it's described in first person accounts. I was trapped outside the house because I was trying to boil water for Liz, when I saw the federals aproaching. I saw the morning sun glinting from their rifles in the distance & immediately ran for shelter behind the house -- not wanting to abandon the boiling water entirely in case Liz needed it. Within seconds, it seemed, the entire front yard exploded into Blue. Lt. Hicks threw himself in front of me to protect me from shots and other missiles being fired or thrown. He was a true hero.

At that moment the prisoners who had been kept under guard in the woods next to our house set up a terrifying howl and rushed their guards & joined in the melee. It all happened incredibly fast -- literally within seconds, much faster than it takes to read this account. One idiot took a full oil lamp and hurled it into a stack of hay. Others smashed crockery, furniture, hauled off our tables to use as impromptu barricades, and shouted insults at Liz while she was laborig.

At this point we felt that all was lost anyway so we began throwing what we could find. I must give Johnny Lloyd propers for being such a good sport. When he was whacked with a plate on his "humorous" bone he laughed like a boy being handed a shiny toy. I tried his sense of humor again with a bowl, but it only pleased him all the more.

When it was all over our house had been partially t0rn asunder because the federal commander (I think Mike Kupsch) forcibly restrained his men from firing our house, so they did the next best thing, which was to tear and claw at the walls. They left our home looking as though a hurricane had hit it and destroyed it.

I did enjoy finding pieces of the sabotaged bread all over our yard and tried to imagine the looks on the faces of the men as they bit down on sand and hay. Nice one, Carrie!

It was an unforgettable event. It was also extraordinarily well organized, with every last little detail carefully thought out. Thanks for everything and thanks to all the other civilians who were such great companions in this adventure.
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
            [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
            [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

Originally posted by Silvana Siddali View Post
              At this point we felt that all was lost anyway so we began throwing what we could find. I must give Johnny Lloyd propers for being such a good sport. When he was whacked with a plate on his "humorous" bone he laughed like a boy being handed a shiny toy. I tried his sense of humor again with a bowl, but it only pleased him all the more.
              Ma'am... never was I so happy that crockery was thrown at me... only such a fine person as yourself can throw crockery so well.

So well, in fact, you should pitch for the St. Louis Cardinals with an arm like that. :D

It was an awesome time. The civilians really made the event. Your details of who/what/where/why you were really added the element of suprise and realism to this event. I might like to try civilian reenacting in the near future. Looks like fun... :o

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Allen View Post
                (You should be happy to know I picked the small plates so they wouldn't hurt so much and I tried to aim not too high and not too low
                Yes the few of us who had dishes thrown at us are very happy they were the small ones. I still remember and for some strange reason get a kick out of, just as I looked around in the window after helping to rip the door off, a dish went flying by my nose and hit the guy standing next to me in the chest.

Had a blast and you ladies defend your home with honor. The two biggest things that will probably stick with me for a very long time in terms of the civilian aspect from this event, is the soap and the dishes.
                Last edited by Huck; 11-17-2009, 07:33 PM.
                Aka
                Wm Green :D
                Illegitimi non carborundum
                (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

My impression was one of a traveler. I was traveling by myself, from my sister’s house back home. I just happened to be caught in the line of Sherman’s march. Being a poor uneducated girl, I had no political notions and answered honestly to all I met on the road who questioned me. My impression was partly inspired by the girl who smoked the pipe and had a two hour conversation with a federal picket in “Southern Storm” . So everyone who was friendly to me I introduced myself to and tried to have a conversation with.

I started my adventure on Friday night at the general store cabin, drinking spirits and watching the moon rise in the sky by the fire side. The planners did a fantastic job with the items that were stocked in the store. I think I might have a laudanum addiction now.

Saturday morning brought confederates to the front door of the general store, so I decided it was time for me to move on. My road home took me passed Moss Falls. On the road there I saw baskets filled with candle sticks, silver platters, sweet potatoes and crates of corn. I didn’t take anything, because they did not belong to me. Also on the road I saw three Yankee. My first Yankees! They looked scared and asked me if there was any Sesch farther down the road. I told them I had seen some men on horseback up a head. Farther down I found that my road was washed out so I turned around and headed south to find a different road. I ran into a large group of men on horseback. They asked me if I had seen anyone on the road. I told them I had seen three men. The man on horseback asked me if they were wearing a jacket like his, tugging on his blue jacket, with yellow piping. I said yes, well without the yellow. Farther on I came upon the twin cabins on top of the hill inhabited by the good Good sisters. They were very lovely to me and gave me food, including some delicious pears. There were also some refugees there. It was interesting to hear all that had been happening in Atlanta. After a good lunch I decided I should move on even though I was warned that it was dangerous to travel alone.

After going about a quarter of a mile I saw a man in a black hat sitting on the side of the road, then I saw there were quite a few men on the side of the road. Yankees! (Pat Craddock’s Indiana boys) I tried to avoid them, but was escorted into their camp. I was questioned about where I was going and what I was doing. I told them the truth about going home and the washed out road. I was asked to have a seat and my things were all looked through. Johnny Lloyd seemed to get a kick out of my socks. It was quite funny to watch him closely inspect my handkerchief that I had used earlier that day and the bundle of rags that I carried to use as toilet paper. One of the soldiers asked me if I sewed and I said of course. He made me sew a button to the back of his pants while he was wearing them. But I didn’t complain in case he decided that he would take them off and then make me sew it on. Some crazy Dutch man pointed his finger at me and yelled at me in his native language. I was asked to draw a map of the road that I had come from; I did so truthfully and told them I had seen men on horseback on the road. Soon some of those men on horseback came down the hill shooting. This actually frightened me for really quite a bit. I started to cry a little and tried to run away, but was grabbed by a soldier, who became my nanny and kept me by his side. Really this group of men were quite nice to me, not taking any of my things and protecting me from the shooting. They took me to the top of the hill to the twin cabins and started looting the nice ladies who had fed me lunch. I felt very bad that I had lead to this destruction to the nice sister things. But soon more cavalry arrive, we women hid in the out building while the cavalry over took those Yankees.

Finally everything calmed down and we tried to put things back to normal. I saw some women down at the watering hole and decided to go greet them. While I was there I saw more Yankees coming in from the south. I told the ladies, one with a baby, that they should leave quickly and not let the Yankees seem them. I had left all of my things at the cabin so I went back to see what my fate would be with this new group of Yankees. This group was much less friendly then any of the others I had previously run into. They ransacked everything, steeling even my bundle of rags that I had for toilet paper. A memorable moment was seeing Vivian almost stab Jeremy Snyder in the hand with a fork for trying to go through one of her boxes. One solider declared that the Good sisters were traders for feeding the confederate soldiers and that they deserved to have their home burned down. They forced the sisters to take everything out of their home, but just burnt the out building. Since it was becoming dark and it looked like the Yankees weren’t going to move on, I stayed the night with the Good sisters in their make shift camp. A nice Yankee named Mark kept trying to give us money if we would tell him where more ham was hidden. We were truly unsure what had been found and not found, but Char thought of a ham that probably hadn’t been found, since these Yankees seemed to be pretty bad foragers. I told Mark that money was useless these days but that we would get it for him if he would give us some. He promised, so Char and I got the ham that was hidden under a bundle of sticks by the watering hole. We ate dinner and were visited by a confederate soldier, named Will, which had visited us earlier. He told us his story of being a deserter and then being captured by the Yankees. He very nice and later brought us some coffee. Just as the sun was setting I went to the watering hole and saw a sight that I will never forget. In the foreground soldiers sitting in the woods around their fire eating dinner. In the back ground soldiers marching in a line, guns on shoulder, in silhouette, the red sun set bright behind them. At the watering hole I met another friendly soldier. Really one of the best parts of the weekend was all of the people I met.

On Sunday I left the sisters and traveled back to the general store to see how my friends were fairing and to see if Liz had had her baby yet. When I got to the cabin I saw the Indiana boys who had detained me the day before were being held by the Confederates. Liz was having pains and all of the ladies were getting ready for the birth. There were rumors that Yankees were coming up the road, just at the time it was Liz’s time. I was in the cabin, and was quite frightened to see an angry Yankee barge in, ripping down the door. I kind of went on autopilot at this time and started to scream for them to get out. It was an intense moment. Pat Craddock told the soldiers to stay out and Mike was posted at the door to keep people out. I started to throw items out of the cabin through the space where the siding had been ripped off by Dave West (but he tried to put it back when he found out Liz was mid delivery). Sorry Jason for getting tooth powder all over you! Jay I hope I get the opportunity to throw things at you again! Once thing had calmed down, a wounded Yankee came up to Liz to say he too was a Mason, putting a gold coin in her hand and protecting the building by putting the Mason symbol on it. It was a really touching moment.

I had an amazing time. Thank you to everyone who worked hard to put on this event. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was hard to go back to real life. To all the new people who I met out in the woods of Georgia, it was great to meet you, hope to see you again!
                  Brandi Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                    Ma'am... never was I so happy that crockery was thrown at me... only such a fine person as yourself can throw crockery so well.

So well, in fact, you should pitch for the St. Louis Cardinals with an arm like that. :D

It was an awesome time. The civilians really made the event. Your details of who/what/where/why you were really added the element of suprise and realism to this event. I might like to try civilian reenacting in the near future. Looks like fun... :o

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
                    I was hit with a saucer and then acted mad, but inside I was thinking...this event is 'GREAT!' The funniest thing was when one of our men was hit with a used rag from the birthing (you ladies REALLY thought this out to every detail!). He was actually shocked and we laughed about it later. Great memories! Thanks ladies!

Jim Butler
                    Jim Butler

Comment

From our prospective, this event was AWESOME! At events, I sometimes find myself on Saturday nights wishing that I were back home in my own bed. Nothing against the event, but, I've had my fun and I'm ready to go. But at Bummers, I wasn't ready to go! Bummers ranks the best in my book because of that.

Like some others have asked, WHEN IS BUMMERS II???? :D
                      Elizabeth Landrum
                      IR Team Mom

Comment

Well, I don't think I can add much to what has already been said. It was a phenomenal experience. I would like to thank everyone for allowing me to be a part of such an undescribably wonderful event. This was my first event of this caliber & I have to wonder if it can ever be topped.
                        My home was ith the Good sisters at the twin cabins & we had non stop activity.There were too many "real" moments to tell all of them so I won't write a detailed account but there are two pictures that will stay vivid in my mind till the day I die.
                        One was Fri night while sitting around the fire. Anticipation was already high when we heard shooting in the distance. I was jumping at every noise (and I am not an excitable person) expecting the worst when two men came quietly riding in out of the dark. Seeing them appear in our firelight gave me goosebumps.
                        The second was Sat. night after much confusion and abuse at the hands of the Yankees we were sitting in our little makeshift camp. We looked up at our cabin and all we could see was Yankees swarming like ants, campfires being lit everywhere, pilfering, burning & having a grand time. One was prancing around in Grace Goods nightie. Very real, very humbling experience.

BTW fellas, I'd sure like to have the recipe for whatever you cooked in my big copper bucket. It was a great copper cleaner. Left my bucket quite shiney. And, uhhh... it's was pretty hectic that evening....did we mention - that was the bucket we used to scald chickens & water horses?:D

Linda (Lydia) little

Comment

When you Yankees would not leave I thought a more persuasive weapon was in order but the fella threw it right back at me! The look on his face was priceless!!

Carrie
                          Carrie Craddock

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
                            In the future, the Ground Hornets will gladly form a protective ring about you and any of your compatriots who wish to answer nature's call.
                            Thanks, Mr. Baker. I am relieved to hear it. (No pun intended.)

And, seeing as you have developed a fondness for spirits, we will see to it that a dram of rye may wet your parched throat when the need presents itself.
                            Splendid. I will hold you to it! :D
                            Anna Allen
                            <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                            [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Myself and a few of the boys of 93 & 63 Ill. were wondering; what was the hymn being sung on Sunday morning as we raised holly heck that dreadful Sabbath? Hearing that hymn while watching the true anguish we caused on full display was a moment I will never forget! I can't say thank you enough to you fine ladies. You truly made this event amazing.

The soup and other food given to us on Saturday night was mighty fine as well. My hats off!
                              Your humble servant....
                              Sean Collicott
                              [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                              [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X