Bummers Staff Official Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummers Staff Official Report

Our official report is attached as a PDF file.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ; 11-23-2009, 09:17 PM.

Re: Bummers Staff Official Report

Thanks much for posting this, fellers ~ it spoke to a lot of what all those
    who attended have wondered about.
    I hope that somewhere in the future you will all be just crazy enough to
    organize yet another really memorable event. And, if I am not too old at
    the time, I will be there again. And, like Rich Mt. and Bummers, I will
    come prepared to climb!
    Damnation, what a View!
    (I can hear Winthorp Chiding me yet again ~ I probably am Flirting with Perdition!)
    Your most obedient servant and comrade,
    James C. Schumann
    Mess #3
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

To all the event organizers and support staff. Thank you all and your loved ones for bringing us "Bummers".

ROB
      Rob Murray

Comment

Thanks to all of you who made Bummers happen! What a giant job you did. Your Official Report answered some questions I had, but I want you to know that from the viewpoint of my little family group at the wagon, the event was a great success.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Thank you for putting this out. Great reading and I love the excerpts from history that tie into experiences at the event.

I can’t stop thinking about my experiences there. It truly was a test in ways for me and some of my men. I believe we all passed and are stronger because of it.

I believe I can speak for the 93rd IL as a whole and say that there a no bad feelings and there are no regrets. As I said before it was the best damn thing that could have happened to us since we were able to really get a feel for the life of a forager.

My one decision made there that I question was involving Saturday night pickets. I was told by the Cav that I had a truce and to get some rest that night. I still debated on keeping at least one man up at a time in shifts but in the end gave the order for all to get some sleep.

I only regret it because it could have added to our experience even more. However, we needed the rest and sleep for the modern push home I guess. Just for that one small detail I won’t loose sleep over it now.

I look forward to seeing all of my comrades again soon.
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

You boys did a great job! The 1st Missouri Engineers loved it. When is the next one?
            Matt Woodburn
            Retired Big Bug
            WIG/GHTI
            Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
            "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Bummers was GREAT... awesome event. I'll be there for Bummers part deux. Kinda wished that I lived close enough that I could have been part of the planning of this event.

Herb, Kiev, Ken, Jordan, Tripp, et al. - good for ya'll pushing the hobby in a new and better direction. This event proved if any group wishes to cooperate well-enough, then we can do anything in this hobby.

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
              Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 11-23-2009, 11:27 PM.
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

As a member of the volunteers and workday folks, I saw firsthand what these guys did and how much blood, sweat, and tears rolled over those GA rocks BEFORE the event even started and was privy to much of the efforts that mostly went unseen during the event by the participants. All I can say is my hat is off completely to all of you: Herb, Kiev, Jordan, Eric, and Ken.

One minor correction to the report, I appreciate and am humbled by the thanks given to me although I should point out that I was not helping move civilians on Friday as I was busy in the sutler area and preparing to be "Dead Fed". I truly wish I could have done more. Overall I had a wonderful time when I was embedded as one of the civilians and have not experienced a first person event that even came close to this before.
                Robert Collett
                8th FL / 13th IN
                Armory Guards
                WIG

Comment

Staff-well written and thought out reply. Having read that, I certainly understand your choices on the maps, as well as a lot of other things. Your efforts are appreciated!!! So, what are you hosting next year? :wink_smil

Whatever/whenever you host another one, I'm there!

Regards,
                  Bob Minton
                  Bob Minton

Comment

Thank you to all involved in making this show happen, and a huge thank you to the spouses for their patientce while they put this feat together.

I, like Jeremy can't stop thinking about all that went on. I don't think we stopped talking about it all the way back to Michigan. We truly got a taste of how it must have been for the boys of '64. The challenges were all I could have aked for,and the first person was also first rate. I now have the bragging rights of saying "I was there".

When the next comes around I'll be there. Whew! That was one hell of a show!
                    Your humble servant....
                    Sean Collicott
                    [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                    [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Good Job on the Event Report! I can proudly say that as a member of the 54th Ohio I survived the "Bummers Death March". The event taught me that I had the metal to participate in a major campaigner event and that I need to lose 20 lbs.
                      The event organizers had a huge job in organization and logistics. Hurricane Ida and the Georgia drought conditions certainly didn't help matters. Kudos to Capt. Schneider and our NCOs for making sure we all stayed safe.
                      My best to everyone, have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
                      [FONT="Georgia"]Chris Gjersvik - 124th NYSV[/FONT]

Comment

Thanks to all who made this event happen. This was one of the few events that I get to back East and it was worth the 15 hour drive.
                        Raul Fuentez
                        Hailing from Parts Unknown:confused:

Minion of the Warlord Mess:angry_smi

Comment

Just wanted to echo the sentiment of my fellow participants, here. The wonderful job and sacrifice you all on the staff have done, have made this event THE best reenacting experience of my life! Being my first really true immersion event, I don't think it could have gotten any better than it was and I fear, will make it tough to find an event in the future that will 'measure up'! Not a bad thing, rather a challenge now that the bar has been raised.

Again, my thanks and respect to all who toiled to make Bummers the awesome experience it was...
                          [I][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B] Kevin Waggoner
                          4th OVI,Co.B
                          "Union Gaurds"[/B][/COLOR][/I]

"...cause I'm worth more dead, than alive...."
                          - Bill Birney

" Here, take your picture...wait.., is this your Mother?"
                          "GOOD LORD! SHE"S CROSSEYED !?"

- Bill, as we were ransacking a Georgia civilian's hovel.

Bummers 2009

Comment

Wow, what a wonderful report and such a gripping narrative of the event as a whole! I had a wonderful time and look forward to falling in with my Friends in the AG and Mess No. 1 again.

Chris "Master Carpenter" Henderson

P.S. If y'all have any pics of the rock foundation cabin could you forward them to me?
                            Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                            WIG/GVB
                            In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

As I have said before Damn GOOD EVENT!!! Thanks!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X