Bummers Coda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummers Coda

To my pards of the authentic community I would like to share this letter that was sent to the event co sponsors Mess Number 1 and the Armory Guards (each group got a separate letter)

“8 March 2010

The Armory Guards
    c/o Herb Coats, President

Dear Friends,

On behalf of the Atlanta History Center, I want to express my sincere appreciation to you and your unit for the generous donation of $11,295.17 in proceeds from the 2009 “Bummers” event to benefit the George W. Wray Jr. Civil War Collection.

I can only imagine how much time and effort you expended in the last two years to make this event possible. I appreciate the high standards of authenticity your unit set in order to provide meaningful experiences and learning opportunities for the 500 participants. It will be a long time before anyone sees another quality Atlanta campaign immersion event like this.

Most of all, I appreciate your thinking of the Wray Collection as a worthy recipient of your fund-raising efforts, and for promoting the collection on your webpage, which I understood recorded about 30,000 hits. Additionally, the Georgia Militia Historical Reenacting Society, with whom you are closely affiliated, has already contributed more than $2,000 to the Wray Collection as well as a Civil War cap pouch for our collections. The Atlanta History Center deeply appreciates your combined efforts in the service of saving our Civil War past, and we look forward to continuing this relationship.

Partly as a result of your efforts, the Wray Collection, as well as our other Civil War collections here, will be available long into the future as reference and research tools for thousands of living history enthusiasts around the world.

Sincerely yours,

Gordon L. Jones, Ph.D.
    Senior Military Historian and Curator”

This is the breakdown of the money taken in, the costs involved, and where the final total fits.

Total money collected: $22,000
    Insurance for the event: $494.00
    Loot, materials, food, more loot: $7210.83
    To the Camp Thunder/Camp Lawhorn Donation: $3000
    Proceeds to AHC: $11,295.17

For all of the hurdles and costs we had to endure, sending more than half of the funds collected to the AHC is amazing. Thank you again to all of the dedicated living historians that attended the event. I hope now you see what all of the hype, headache, and heartburn went to.

And with this my work and dealings with the event known as "Bummers" is now officially over.

L to R Robby Mitchell, Kiev Thomason, That War Criminal, Gordon Jones of the AHC, Boy Wonder Jordan Roberts
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: Bummers Coda

Wow. Thanks for that. More than half is indeed an impressive number. And by keeping the AHC and the Wray collection in people's minds, I hope you have also encouraged more of this community to visit.
    Pat Brown

Comment

That is impressive. Some people loved the event, others less so, but to all those who organized and participated, this was the real reason. Thanks everyone for their hard work and decided dedication to keep history alive.
      Glenn Bramer
      Pvt, Company C

Comment

Impressive! I am glad I attended this event. These stats make me feel better about the event.
        Last edited by 51stNCVCo.K; 03-19-2010, 08:11 AM.
        Taylor McCullen

51st NC Co.K

Comment

That was quite a bit of money that went to a worthy cause. I'm glad that I was able to be a part of such an event, even though I plucked chickens on Saturday afternoon.
          Raul Fuentez
          Hailing from Parts Unknown:confused:

Minion of the Warlord Mess:angry_smi

Comment

Herb, I know "that" event, about pushed you over the edge. But hopefully this letter justifies all the event planners efforts. You know, the gripes that some folks had about the event will fade into oblivion, but this donation, and yall's hard work, will help to save this collection for future generations.
            Cheers !
            Eric N. Harley-Brown
            Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

This is great news!

I also would like to congratulate the event for providing a post-event financial report of income, expenses and the resulting donation. So many events say they are making donations, but we never see or hear any firm figures. I hope Bummers becomes the benchmark for "event financial transparency"!
              Joe Smotherman

Comment

I just wanted to add that we initially told the AHC that the donation would be $10,000. We incurred a lot of expense - building cabins, outfitting those cabins, food, etc, but it was the overwhelming registration numbers that put us over the top. The fact that we were able to donate more was because of all of you who signed up. Thank you.
                ERIC TIPTON
                Former AC Owner

Comment

Working...
                X